Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 am

Post subject: rarity of loot 2.1
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:41 am 

in the past, farming for high runes and uniques/sets took a lot longer. since the gold drops are being nerfed in 2.1 by 80% and charms won't be available for gamble, this will slow down item progression a bit. should we also take this opportunity to look at uniques/sets/runes and perhaps lower their drop rate too?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: rarity of loot 2.1
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:49 am 

I was thinking about making high runes as rare as they were in the past too. Now, it seems like getting mass zods is trivial.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:50 am 

the item progression has become a bit too easy. getting powerful items at the snap of a finger means these current ladders have no longevity. good item drops should be more rare, or at least how it was in the old HU or close to that.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:53 am 

I agree

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:14 pm 

Zods are trivial because you can farm nihlthak indefinitely for easy zods. Perhaps the reward should give a ber or a jah or something, and nihl's loot table should be altered to not drop high runes beyond maybe surs.

95s are still pretty rare, I've yet to even see some of them. On the flip side some seem to drop at insane rates. I've found double digit shadow killers, for example.

The charm gambling is a decent change, it's too easy to just gamble gg charms and no amount of price increasing or gold find reduction is going to make it not so.

The gold change just adds tedium to already tedious tasks. And in reality, unless goldfind functions in a manner that doesn't make sense, I'm still going to cap gold in a single run most of the time. This is by far the dumbest change I've seen discussed in a long time. And it hurts people who don't make a goldfind barb the most, while literally not hurting goldfind barbs at all.

Gambling normal/nm gear should be made easier, not harder, or removed entirely from possibility. Sitting there refreshing the gamble screen over and over is retarded, if it can drop it'll drop eventually, and making it harder is only creating a time gate and fake difficulty.

Lastly it's pretty fucking retarded that easy to craft things are significantly better than 95 uniques. All melee weapons are better as crafts because no melee weapon to my knowledge on any build I've played has sockets(the only exception is windforce which is slightly better, but mostly just even with a gg craft). Why would anyone use a 250 ED weapon when they can run a 370? Lots of caster crafts give an extra +1 skills and have more sockets.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:19 pm 

That is also part of why the 255 ed cap is not good, along with what I mentioned before about +max/lvl items being OP. The max roll for rares/crafts should be 255, with uniques and RWs rolling 300-350 and some 350-400 to keep them competitive with crafts.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:29 pm 

The ed cap is going back to 511, didn't I mention that before?

I wouldn't mind removing sets/uniques from gambling.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:47 pm 

I don't think that would help much. Does anyone actually gamble for rares other than rings/ammys and maybe circlets until you can just reroll crafts? Like who's gonna gamble a battle staff if it has no chance of being a Warpspear? And what about facets? I'd just leave it the way it is if you are super against my idea of just increasing gambling costs and chance to get sets/uniques. Even if it's a 5x cost increase with just a 2x chance increase. This may actually coincide well with the 80% gold nerf. As Angel said, it just creates fake difficulty as it is now.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:05 pm 

Well everyone bitches about gambling. Apparently no matter how long it takes people will sit there spamming gheed until their eyes bleed instead of actually playing the game. Making it easier is lame. This isnt gambling unleashed. If you want the best gear you should fight for it. Perhaps, I should remove the option since no one else has self control.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:11 pm 

Well maybe you dislike gambling, and that's cool, but I'm sure many players wish they could just get a lenymo without doing 50 bloodraven runs. Even if it's not what you prefer, you should consider it for those who do want it. Everyone I've played with this patch says they dislike poop chance gambling.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:23 pm 

Yeah lots of people want an easy game and easy gambling. It's not fake difficulty. Its a choice of how you spend your time. Spend an hour gambling for lenymo or man up and kill the next boss without BIS items.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:48 pm 

It's also about sets for leveling. I never actually wore a set in my play through until my healer got Milabregas because I never found more than a couple pieces of any set and gambling is impossible so I barely even tried. A mid level set like Tancreds (sets which aren't very good to begin with) has almost zero chance of being worn unless you find the pieces on a higher level character and give them to an alt. But if you actually found 2 pieces, if you could gamble the 3rd, you might consider wearing it or giving it to your merc. If gambling sucks, then all sets until level 80+ class sets might as well not even exist, because you won't find all the pieces and you won't gamble them.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:05 pm 

The drop rates of runes should be lowered. If Nihl runs are trivial to do, either make them nontrivial, or lower the top rune quality as suggested by Angel.

Gold drop should be lowered. The only thing that is of concern is the RELATIVE amount of gold vs rewards for spending it to gamble. I haven't played in awhile, but gold drops were honestly out of hand last I did, and I believe nothing has changed with them since (or they may be even higher). 80% reduction is about right...70-75% was what I always felt since last we boosted it. This alone would probably bring a lot back into line.

Ensley is right about what items are actually gambled. Rings, amulets, jewels, and specific items to get rest of set, or a unique. (i ignore whatever other things have been put there). Elite sets/uniques are not even attainable (or shouldn't be at least). Everything else is put towards gems.

As for the point about I've rarely worn xyz set because never find all the pieces. For a first character, sure...but after that...Gear is usually planned from start to finish for me. Nearly always. I am willing to 'suffer' at some points, mass farm those areas, horde everything I want for later, then eventually use it for other characters while leveling...I thought this was the point of being able to transfer items between characters.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:58 pm 

Mrawskrad wrote:
The ed cap is going back to 511, didn't I mention that before?

I wouldn't mind removing sets/uniques from gambling.

this, and as angel pointed out, lowering the power of crafts a bit. definitely would be interesting to play.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:13 pm 

I also don't enjoy gambling all day and don't have the time. I would +1 for improved gambling in any fashion. As long as people can't gamble the best items. I mostly solo so I don't think I'd play if gambling was removed.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:22 pm 

I also am unsure completely removing sets and unique from the gambling table would be for the best. I understand wanting people to play the game but I'm honestly not going to go run bloodraven 50 times when I need a lenmyo or tarnhelm. Does anyone REALLY spend hours gambling anything but jewels? I haven't seen it. The most I've spent was 20 minutes gambling for a ring of frost before I got it. It seems like artificially increasing early game difficulty and making it a grindfest to fix people getting through norm/nm fast through limiting gear when the real problem here is cheesy strats and not that magefist they gambled. I assume this change is proposed to make norm/early nm more grindy because it has zero impact on late nm/hell correct?

That said, who cares if someone spends time gambling some low level uniques or sets from gheed. They grinded for the gold and you're fixing it by lowering gold drops by 80%. They've met your grind prerequisites by getting the gold, and I'm having a hard time as seeing it as anything other than punishing people who play differently than the way you personally deem as correct.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:49 pm 

ya we could keep sets/unique gamble since thats always been a part of HU since the start.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:18 pm 

I'm reverting the chances to 1.21/1.3 numbers.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:44 pm 

Is that worse than now?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:57 pm 

About the same chance for sets and 4 times as hard to get uniques

It's about time we went back to classic HU.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:07 am 

Did anyone ask for this or do we have to just accept your ideas?

Is there going to be a SP version or a way we can change gambling for ourselves in SP?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:17 am 

If you want items uniques then kill bosses for them. You'll still be able to gamble sets easily.

Maybe there needs to be 2 versions of HU. One for people who enjoy a HU that stays true to Soulmancer's vision where killing bosses is the best way to get gear. And a second version for people who want it easy and want to only farm gold to get all their items from gheed.

People around here are too used to easy patches for the last few years, 2.0 included.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:33 am 

I never been a fan of gambling. Im ok with gambling ring/amu circlet for decent rares but no uniqs or sets.

If u want gold or green stuff go outside of town. Pretty simple.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:44 am 

Well said.

Gambling was balanced in 1.2 to 1.3. You could easily spend spare gold to pickup an item you were missing from a set, but if you wanted an easy unique then you'd have to sacrifice more time. If you want a specific unique item then you combine farming a boss + spending spare gold on gambling for it. If you don't want to spend the time then just go kill the next act boss and keep progressing. You shouldn't be able to get easy items from gambling it trivializes the entire game when you can just grind act1 mobs to gamble higher level items with minimal time investment. Why even have bosses in norm/early NM drop all uniques at that point? Just make them drop gold.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:22 am 

Being unable to gamble facets is an enormous nerf. We don't have the community size to actually trade with any sort of economy. If you do this then you need to edit some boss treasures so that facet farming can be a thing again. Understandably some bosses that you can't just instantly run to over and over. I'd say make it Hell only and put them on Chimera and Shenk, with Chimera dropping 2 and Shenk dropping 2 with a 50% chance to drop a 3rd. Does that sound reasonable to you?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:31 am 

hell leoric?...

I can add more jewelry drops to a couple bosses like Leoric has, but it wont be guaranteed facets every time.

You can still gamble uniques. So dramatic jesus christ.

Last edited by Mrawskrad on Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:34 am 

If he's more beefy then that could work too.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:37 am 

Ensley03 wrote:
Being unable to gamble facets is an enormous nerf. We don't have the community size to actually trade with any sort of economy. If you do this then you need to edit some boss treasures so that facet farming can be a thing again. Understandably some bosses that you can't just instantly run to over and over. I'd say make it Hell only and put them on Chimera and Shenk, with Chimera dropping 2 and Shenk dropping 2 with a 50% chance to drop 3. Does that sound reasonable to you?

a horkable boss dropping 2 facets per run gives 4. this is an absurd idea. i think the concept here is that if you want that kind of power you have to grind for it, rather than just afking in town with a gamble bot buying you jewels for an hour or horking 4 jewels in 1 run. maybe shenk having a chance to drop 1 unique jewel is fine since he isnt horkable and hes kinda far in. part of the reason things have become so easy here is because powerful gear is so damn easy to get. you should have to put effort in to get powerful gear if your plan is to just brute force your way through content.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:39 am 

Apparently facets were impossible to get in 1.2 and 1.3. I didn't realize that maybe I was just really lucky...and everyone else that played was really lucky....

Yeah guaranteed facet drops is a huge no. Its going to be rng like leo. It'll give people reason to run shenk as well.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:42 am 

I didn't think about hork, but a boss can be made so he can't be horked. Are you thinking only Leoric and Shenk?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:46 am 

Chimera sounds ok too.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:16 am 

That would be good, an act 1/3/5 jewel farm boss. Maybe the higher ones should have better chances kind of like the countess/nihl setup, especially since Shenk can't be horked, that would be really disappointing to not get one. It takes forever to get to him. The odds are against you in it being a facet you want anyway. All I find in 2.0 are storm facets.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:02 am 

I previously bitched about gambling nerf and how exhausting it is to gamble, then I realized that my approach was wrong. It took me 25 minutes to write a script that fully automates gamble.

Since most of the community in here are tech enthusiast this shouldn't be hard for anyone to do so. Especially because D2 memory is so well documented, across the years.

I'm not voting for any solution at this point. I'm just pointing out that nerfing or buffing will not have any influence on gambling as it is. Will just take 2 more gold runs to get what you desire.

On the flip side I do partially feel that Mraw is enforcing his own rules, sometimes hiding behind Mancers vision. Reverting everything to 1.21 is not a real solution to anything. Back then it was highly imbalanced, and there was plenty of cookie cutter builds which facerolled nearly everything in the game. Introducing the same set of rules that existed back then, but with removed imbalance of classes and certain skills, will again result in loss of player base. Mraw I can understand that you prefer certain playstyle and I also understand Pious that he wants a bigger challenge, but to maintain it as a community-driven mod which actually has people to play with, we should all agree to some middle grounds.
Making game significantly harder grind through norm and nm, with the low player base will result in newcomers dropping off. The real play and actual interaction with people start only in Hell, and some of the changes may result in newcomers never getting there because they don't understand this mod good enough.
I don't mind increasing difficulty in Hell or making it even bigger Hell then it is now, but even when newcomers get there and even be stuck at just A1, they have the opportunity to meet some old players which can throw them a tip or two on how to approach or which strategies work best.

Me myself right now struggle a bit to find a game to play with anyone since I'm stuck in NM. I know tho how it works, so eventually will get my goal, but I do know for a fact that many people will disregard mod if they are stuck at the point that I am.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:34 am 

I'm not reverting everything to 1.21 that's an idiotic thing to say. However 1.21/1.3/1.5 is the best base for HU so I'm using a lot of what was good from those patches. Using as a base 1.7 is terrible and I should have never tried to work with it in the first place. That's a huge reason 1.8, 1.9, 2.0 don't feel good because I tried to use 1.7 meta instead of just reverting everything 1.7 changed.

There are 100 other mods that are super easy and that you can play while rubbing your ball sack. Why is everyone trying to make HU the same as those? 1.21/1.3/1.5 weren't even hard. A 2 man team could crush the game back then and it'll be the same in 2.1. You could even do it solo if you know what you're doing and play a melee build.

Seems like everyone who wants faceroll HU should Just go play SP version.

And why does everyone keep saying the real game starts in hell? Should we just delete normal and NM mode and start everyone at lvl 85? HU is about the progression from boss to boss, act to act, difficulty to difficulty. It's not about gambling all your gear in act1 norm after a few inner runs and facerolling everything until hell.

Most of you newer guys don't understand because all you know is 1.6+

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:42 am 

Interesting... So there are those that just want an "easy" game where they can chill and have fun with friends and the others who want challenge?

Its like groups of ppl that want different things from life :) so its hard to find a common ground. And usually finding common grounds ends up not satisfying any of sides. Or not? dunno, maybe i am just wrong.

Times like this is good when the Dev has his own ideal mod in mind. But then again, this has become more of a community mod i guess.

Maybe u guys need to discuss the principles of HU (if there are any?). Principles = rules that cannot change no matter version or what.
To give u an example. Some ppl consider the atmosphere of a Diablo game one of its principle ideas. It has to be dark, kind of scary etc. Im 100% sure this isnt one of the principles of HU nor i imply that it should be!! (dont hung me plz), this is just an example, im innocent ! lol..

Last edited by DoubtFuLMind on Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:49 am 

Mrawskrad wrote:
I'm not reverting everything to 1.21 that's an idiotic thing to say. However 1.21/1.3/1.5 is the best base for HU so I'm using a lot of what was good from those patches. Using as a base 1.7 is terrible and I should have never tried to work with it in the first place. That's a huge reason 1.8, 1.9, 2.0 don't feel good because I tried to use 1.7 meta instead of just reverting everything 1.7 changed.

There are 100 other mods that are super easy and that you can play while rubbing your ball sack. Why is everyone trying to make HU the same as those? 1.21/1.3/1.5 weren't even hard. A 2 man team could crush the game back then and it'll be the same in 2.1. You could even do it solo if you know what you're doing and play a melee build.

And why does everyone keep saying the real game starts in hell? Should we just delete normal and NM mode and start everyone at lvl 85? HU is about the progression from boss to boss, act to act, difficulty to difficulty. It's not about gambling all your gear in act1 norm after a few inner runs and facerolling everything until hell.

I like this paragraph :)

Heeyy im new to HU unleashed but i dont would remove gambling entirely from the game if i was the dev! haha! BTW! i am not implying it should be removed! Seriously, just dont listen to me!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:15 am 

Mrawskrad wrote:

To be honest I feel offended by this post. I'm not a freshman in here I started playing right after the release of 1.21 and stopped by release 1.5. Back then I had lots of fun, but at the same time, the player base was much higher back then.

If your goal is to initially scare away most of the potential players, then you're on the right path.

I never said I want this mod to be plain easy, I want it to be appealing enough for new players at the start, and hard enough for an old player in the late game. If you don't get it, then finding a middle ground will be painfully hard.

I never said I want norm and nm to be a faceroll, and that playing starts in hell. I've said that team play and interaction with other players is possible for 99% in hell only. Not sure what on-line gaming is for you, but if you want a design that will end up with forcing people to solo everything because they have nobody to even chat to, then that's far from a principle rule of HU which was designed to gather parties to roll through the game in a group.

In the end, you can obviously ignore me with my opinion, as I am a casual you are aiming to scare off the mod. I have less knowledge than most of you in here and much less time to play than most of you. I can only tell you one thing, that most of the newcomers in this crazy word have the same amount of time, and without a decent incentive to learn this mod they may not be willing to invest their time in here.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:18 am 

@prescot
I honestly dont get it. Why many of you ppl assume that new players want an easy content?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:34 am 

Solo was possible in 1.5. 2.1 will be the same. If it's already possible to solo then why make it even easier? I don't get it. You're complaining about something that isn't an issue.

I soloed everything in 1.5 with a holyshock paladin.

Last edited by Mrawskrad on Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:34 am 

DoubtFuLMind wrote:
@prescot
I honestly dont get it. Why many of you ppl assume that new players want an easy content?

You seem to confuse something. Ppl don't want easy content especially ppl that play Diablo 2 at this time, but ppl want to be social. In this mod (just go realm status now), there is nobody to chat with in places other than private games or Hell grind.

So how you want to achieve the goal of people being social in this mod?

What I'm talking about is midground solution to allow new (still quite a bit dedicated players) to get to this social point of playing this mod.
You need to realize that not everyone is a solo genius who read through every content in this mod, hidden strategies and other stuff. It should be delivered to players gradually not all at once, starting in A1 norm.

It's more social and behavioural study then gaming obviously, but I'm wasting time writing this posts with the hope that when Mraw gives us patch with good balance and with some nice difficulty curve we can attract new players to show up and grow this mod once again.

Mrawskrad wrote:
Solo was possible in 1.5. 2.1 will be the same. If it's already possible to solo then why make it even easier? I don't get it. You're complaining about something that isn't an issue.

I soloed everything in 1.5 with a holyshock paladin.

Every patch there is best solo build, and every time there will be somebody who will abuse the heck out of it. But one person is not an entire community and most of new players will not know that it is possible.

Doubtfull has a point. We need to first agree on what is the main goal of this mod and how we see the future of it.

Last edited by Prescot on Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:36 am 

That's what I'm doing. You haven't even played 2.1 and you're already saying it's too hard. Come on man.....

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:42 am 

Mrawskrad wrote:
That's what I'm doing. You haven't even played 2.1 and you're already saying it's too hard. Come on man.....

I'm judging changes you throw in pieces among couple threads. I'm not sitting inside your head to know how the full view looks like, and there are no test files to play with, so I do have to guess on what you can possibly have in mind.

My goal as a side player is to attract more people in here, I just want to be sure that they have something to come for, and that not only people with expert knowledge can play this mod.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:59 am 

Well tbh i dont even want HU to become another random casual easy mod like many others out there.

HU is meant to be hard and should stay that way. I just hope the new patch doesnt become too easy. As i read so far it goes in that direction, but lets see first how it goes when first beta comes out.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:08 am 

@Prescot
Tbh i dont understand what which features u dont like.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:32 pm 

It really seems like any discussion here doesn't even matter. I am just another casual player too but it looks like Mraws has appointed himself as dictator and the rest of us are just along for the ride.

I didn't see anything wrong with 1.9 and was never given a reason for why it was reset other than some "base patch" nonsense? Then I thought 2.0 was ok until I found out I can't even play my Fury Druid...and now we're told it's being reset again less than 2 weeks later because apparently the end-all-be-all patch is not very good. So now we're waiting in limbo for a THIRD patch that is supposed to be some kind of blast from the past, and we should believe you'll get it right this time?

I think it's time to move on to a mod that is more stable with less toxic leadership. GL everyone.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:53 pm 

Don't like my patch? Vote no. I have never forced a patch without a vote unlike other modders after soulmancer.

I've made plenty of changes from people's suggestions but I can't agree with everything.

Reasons for 1.9 being reset were given. Sorry you can't read. I should have never used 1.7 files as a base that's why 2.0 doesn't feel good and that's my fault. Sorry all. That's why I'm going back to 1.2/1.3/1.5 files and taking what worked so well from them. It's not going to be 100% old stuff. I feel like you don't understand the full picture and are jumping to conclusions.

You haven't even seen my patch notes for 2.1 and you're already complaining. About what? Gambling?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:12 pm 

Syndo wrote:
It really seems like any discussion here doesn't even matter. I am just another casual player too but it looks like Mraws has appointed himself as dictator and the rest of us are just along for the ride.

I didn't see anything wrong with 1.9 and was never given a reason for why it was reset other than some "base patch" nonsense? Then I thought 2.0 was ok until I found out I can't even play my Fury Druid...and now we're told it's being reset again less than 2 weeks later because apparently the end-all-be-all patch is not very good. So now we're waiting in limbo for a THIRD patch that is supposed to be some kind of blast from the past, and we should believe you'll get it right this time?

I think it's time to move on to a mod that is more stable with less toxic leadership. GL everyone.

Mrawskrad has elected himself as anything. Just because you do/did not see discussions don't mean they have not happened. Furthermore, these will take the game back to its roots to a healthy degree. If you seriously cannot stomach it, then by all means go enjoy another mod.

This switchover is bloody tame compared to several in the past. My goodness people do not be able to stomach two seconds of disagreement anymore.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:27 pm 

kramuti wrote:
Syndo wrote:

Mrawskrad has elected himself as anything. Just because you do/did not see discussions don't mean they have not happened. Furthermore, these will take the game back to its roots to a healthy degree. If you seriously cannot stomach it, then by all means go enjoy another mod.

This switchover is bloody tame compared to several in the past. My goodness people do not be able to stomach two seconds of disagreement anymore.

This is why the community population has continually decreased instead of grown. This exact attitude. Do you think these people are coming into this mod, and by these people I mean the fresh players we need to keep this mod going and the community alive, and getting to the point of telling everyone off and leaving because they are all babies? All I see is flippant disregard for anyone's opinion that hasn't personally played for 10 years, and that is NOT how you grow a community.

Maybe instead of belittling others concerns or outright disregarding it because we know the "good old times" and know what's best for everyone, we can at least pretend to accept some input from people and take it under consideration even if you dont agree?

I dont always agree with Mraw's changes but I still play the patches, and I can tell you now it's because I've experienced some of his better work and know he is capable of continuing the mod. People coming into the clusterfuck of the past few months have no idea what is happening other than that we have had 2 very unsuccessful patches in a row and now they are being treated badly on the forums by the community leaders when they bring up issues. Would you stay? I sigh every time I see a fresh face in this community leave over something as petty as the pillars of the remaining community acting this way.

People coming into this clusterfuck and talking about shit they have no clue about is the root of the problem. Sorry.

Would you rather play a version that 1) isn't really even close to the way it was left to us (aka it's intended playstyle by Soulmancer) that is also 2) nearly completely broken when it comes to balance. OR deal with some asshat that you don't like the way he comes across (because this whole conversation is simply a rehash of several years ago) yet is much closer to 1) and will lead to 2)...it sucks it couldn't be done perfeclty all in one swoop...and why is that? because people rushed to a patch that was barely checked by anybody that actually knows how everything interlinks btwn files etc, and the result is the Mraw quickly meshed a lot of things into 2.0?

I am sorry, but this is not even a contest to me. You can call me elitist or whatever you like. It won't change squat about how patches should be done from here forward (and really we should have learned this multiple times by now).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:30 pm 

Syndo doesn't want gambling removed. I'm not removing it. If fact, I'll probably increase the cost and increase the chance. That seems fair.

What did I say to him that was rude?

The community hasn't grown because of bad patches after 1.5.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:39 pm 

Mrawskrad wrote:
Syndo doesn't want gambling removed. I'm not removing it. If fact, I'll probably increase the cost and increase the chance. That seems fair.

What did I say to him that was rude?

The community hasn't grown because of bad patches after 1.5.

I haven't seen you personally say anything I could attribute to more than a lack of social niceties, things like I'm sorry you cant read or cool story, while probably unnecessary arent always unwarranted. I'm talking more along the lines of the, "You dont like it then leave" attitude I see on here.

Nothing says we dont value your input more than a leave if you dont like it attitude, and I for one would like to see a larger community behind this mod again. Hell, I remember being able to TRADE in HU.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:01 pm 

Well the reality is that this is a 13-14 year old mod of a 17 year old game that is meant to have challenging bosses and gamers these days want faceroll content. Look at every other ARPG out there. Let's be realistic here.

So, why water down HU and turn it into another generic D2 mod. There are tons of APRG choices for that kind of gameplay. Yes, making the game super easy might bring more people but then everyone that likes HU for actually putting up some what of a challenge would be given a huge middle finger. The people who want an easier mod that has a bigger community can go to median or PoD.

Having said that, 2.1 won't even be that hard, honestly. Casters have way more firepower and gear options than 1.21-1.5. and melee don't need necro amp to destroy bosses. So complaining about it being too hard isn't really warranted.

EDIT: HU was most popular from 1.21 to 1.5. This may have been because it was a newer mod back then or because those were better patches. 1.6 ran a lot of people off and 1.7 finished most of the survivors off. 1.8 saw a return of a lot of older players, but it has some issues due to 1.7 base files that I used that I overlooked. I should have never used 1.7 files to make 1.8. That's my biggest HU modding regret and I'm fixing that mistake now.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:38 am 

Mrawskrad wrote:
Well the reality is that this is a 13-14 year old mod of a 17 year old game that is meant to have challenging bosses and gamers these days want faceroll content. Look at every other ARPG out there. Let's be realistic here.

So, why water down HU and turn it into another generic D2 mod. There are tons of APRG choices for that kind of gameplay. Yes, making the game super easy might bring more people but then everyone that likes HU for actually putting up some what of a challenge would be given a huge middle finger. The people who want an easier mod that has a bigger community can go to median or PoD.

Having said that, 2.1 won't even be that hard, honestly. Casters have way more firepower and gear options than 1.21-1.5. and melee don't need necro amp to destroy bosses. So complaining about it being too hard isn't really warranted.

EDIT: HU was most popular from 1.21 to 1.5. This may have been because it was a newer mod back then or because those were better patches. 1.6 ran a lot of people off and 1.7 finished most of the survivors off. 1.8 saw a return of a lot of older players, but it has some issues due to 1.7 base files that I used that I overlooked. I should have never used 1.7 files to make 1.8. That's my biggest HU modding regret and I'm fixing that mistake now.

I personally prefer the game hard, it gets boring quickly when you've beaten all the content in 3 days, so I definitely dont disagree that the mod should be more difficult.

Sadly the current state of the community is that there are a few groups of people who play together and a few individuals that float between the groups games or play solo. Theres not a lot of interaction outside of that, which is why I thought the proposed gambling restrictions were a little severe and I am happy you compromised with us.

Groups that think gambling low/mid tier uniques and sets instead of grinding low tier bosses is cheating are free to impose that restriction on themselves and not gamble while now still leaving it as a viable yet diminished option for those who do utilize it, that way everyone is equally unhappy... which is the essence of a successful compromise.

Personally, the majority of my play time is from work and on a touchpad, where I can manage to farm gold somewhat reliably and gamble or craft to prepare for the next time my group meets for progression. It keeps my interest alive in the game having something to do in my down time and directly benefits my group so we dont have to spend our limited time together grinding out low tier bosses ad infinitum and can continually progress, so thank you for keeping it.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:45 am 

This is what I'm doing:

Redoing a lot of sets. Making a lot of them early game sets again like sigons, hsarus, civerbs, irathas for example and making them worth getting.

Sets will remain easy to gamble but uniques will have a lower chance than now, relatively speaking. So you can gamble easy and useful early sets but later in the game level 50+ you will get most items from boss drops.

Then on top of that I'll increase the total chance and cost for both by a multiple of X.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:03 am 

Edit - Nevermind, doesn't matter.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:34 am 

Mrawskrad wrote:
This is what I'm doing:

Redoing a lot of sets. Making a lot of them early game sets again like sigons, hsarus, civerbs, irathas for example and making them worth getting.

Sets will remain easy to gamble but uniques will have a lower chance than now, relatively speaking. So you can gamble easy and useful early sets but later in the game level 50+ you will get most items from boss drops.

Then on top of that I'll increase the total chance and cost for both by a multiple of X.

Sounds solid to me, I have no issues at all with it.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:26 am 

Mrawskrad wrote:
This is what I'm doing:

I jumped out of the discussion to see how it will progress. I'm happy with the conclusion. This after mentioned change will improve and provide lots of QoL for new players.

@Everyone beside Mraw
I feel that at the point we are now, we should stop arguing with Mraw. Not because he is apodictic, but just because when a new player shows up and see 7-10 y.o. accounts arguing with main mod maker this also destroys morale.
For now, Mraw needs to buckle up, finish changelog or even better finish some test files to play with, so we can investigate those and check out for possible abuse builds or other stuff.

@Mraw
Not sure how this works out for you with 2.1, but for 2.0 you were releasing a ton of test and unfinished files which allowed us to test progress and point out what needs to be changed. I think that's the best time to start doing the same for 2.1.

This will also enforce anyone to provide more valuable feedback and speak about actual changes.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:32 am 

I'm working on it. The shear amount of edits I'm having to make in order to combine everything together and update it for modern HU is staggering. I'm trying to get it a polished as possible before I post it publicly so people don't spend time finding tons of typos and can focus on balance testing.

But I'm really close and maybe I can post something within 12 hours.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:35 am 

If you are putting in the 1.7 areas without using 1.7 base then that sounds like cancer and I hope you know what you're doing.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:39 am 

What do you mean? It works fine.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:03 am 
Game Server Host

Mrawskrad wrote:
HU was most popular from 1.21 to 1.5. This may have been because it was a newer mod back then or because those were better patches. 1.6 ran a lot of people off and 1.7 finished most of the survivors off. 1.8 saw a return of a lot of older players, but it has some issues due to 1.7 base files that I used that I overlooked. I should have never used 1.7 files to make 1.8. That's my biggest HU modding regret and I'm fixing that mistake now.

The initial almost unplayable 1.4 was the patch that drove the majority of people off and a lack of anything new/interesting to explore or do being added to most patches. I thought I read that 1.9 was pretty much perfect until Ensley edited it, what happened to the original 1.9 if that was the case?

What were the issues with 1.7 that you overlooked? I've been modding it since it was released Mostly with the code features listed further below but I haven't found any issue with the text files that couldn't be fixed in a matter of minutes mainly because it's extremely user friendly text file wise. Less time required to make text edits, means more time to work on the code base and add neat stuff like the list further below. If there's an issue with them I overlooked I'd be glad to hear of it though so I can fix it in my own version. Not that 1.7 was perfect, far from it, I wasn't a fan of the upgrading item mechanic, fewer number of unique items or trash to boss hp ratio, but that only took an evening and a bit to rectify.

The mod gets rebalanced every single patch and it's never "right" because being right is subjective when it comes to game design. The only things that have survived from patch to patch are new areas & bosses, the warp tome, high res, new stat screen and QoL code edits. The mod hasn't been difficult since 1.2 (1.21 onwards it's been faceroll by at least 1 class, lets be honest) Discovering that a mod which uses difficulty as a main drawing point is actually easy and has very little in the way of new things to experience, is obviously going to be off putting. The ONLY thing HU ever had over other mods was it's difficulty and that's what drew people in, but that's not enough any more.

The quality of mods recently has been going up and up. HU is competing with mods that have features far in advance of anything in the past. Daily and weekly realm events, entire sub quest and class quest systems built into the UI just like regular quests. 16+ players in same game, custom skill functions, independent skill cooldowns, on screen item comparisons, quick shift items between stash/cube/inv, new item slots, charm slots/charm section inventory. The list goes on, and those are the default expectation, as most mods have some/all those features as standard now as they aren't too difficult to implement, just time consuming.
Many of them stick to the classic D2 feel through the game too so that's another HU USP gone.
No amount of rebalancing is going to draw any significant number of people for longer than 1 play through if the mod is stuck in neutral being "balanced" every patch with nothing new or innovative and little to no difficulty. To be honest, I don't even think being difficult is enough to attract any decent number of players from what they have to choose from currently. There are more difficult mods around now than ever.

I've been saying this for years, hence every time I help out, I try to add something new to explore/experience or make improvements to the core itself. Those are the things that tend to stick.

TL;DR, if you want to compete in 2018 you need to be innovative. "9th balance patch in 7 years, pretty much the same game you played last year, and the year before, and the year before, just balanced (subjectively)" isn't going to excite people when there are so many mods that have continued to advance with the times.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:38 am 

There's nothing wrong with the 1.7 files technically speaking. I just didn't change enough of what the 1.7 files changed from "classic HU" in 1.9-2.0.

Anyways, what do you expect? Other big mods have full time modders/realm hosts. I just do this when I have free time. It's not my day job. Nor is it anyone elses.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:49 am 

+ PureRage !

-----

Yes, although difficulty is one of the main key features for most ppl (if not for all although they might not know it?), i personally look for other features as well. Many times i prefer principle ideas and uniqueness over difficulty or balance.

If you want to create a good mod u have to take every specific aspect of the game and see how u can improve it and make it MEANINGFUL ! From the most simple things such chests (u know i criticized HU for it :) ), to the running speed and stamina to classes themselves.
Like for example how many mods have paid attention to the Speed and Stamina factors?? maybe 1-2 old forgotten mods??
Think about it, without speed u cant move !! (can u see how important it is?). Speed could play an insane factor when it comes balancing classes, bosses and even trash monsters, but guess what, everyone thinks speed or stamina is irrelevant and there are 0 builds around it !!!!

See what u did? u forced me share ideas i was keeping for myself.. :D

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:43 pm 

Ensley03 wrote:
If you are putting in the 1.7 areas without using 1.7 base then that sounds like cancer and I hope you know what you're doing.

It's not that hard tbh. It just takes being familiar with all da fiery hoops.

And PureRage is basically right about 1.4. More have left because we didn't learn from this experience seemingly at all.

If people want anyone around that actually know wth they are doing (and some know a metric shitton, even if people have not seen them at all, or in a long time) then maybe swallow the vile, accept they can be gruff, and go play the gd patch. Those that want to take a hand at it nowadays are scratching the surface. This isn't bad persay, but they make changes without understanding the full consequences of many of them. It breaks shit(and i am not even talking about balance).

Edit: and I will reiterate here once about how tame this change from 1.9 to 2.0 has been compared to past events. The HU community has always been vocal. They have very strong opinions on the game. The vast majority of players are all good, some are gd fantastic. They like their game the way the like it. It breeds a contested environment when it comes time for decisions. THIS IS GOOD. Most have had a thick enough skin to take the root of the argument, rather than all the crap around it, and try to change things for the better as a restult (Ensley has been a champ about this for the most part). Those that were not around for the arguments about some of the 1.3 patches (like when we eventually lost blue) complaining about toxicity...makes me laugh...a lot. Get over it. It isn't personal. Quit taking everything like it is.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:04 pm 

kramuti wrote:
Edit: and I will reiterate here once about how tame this change from 1.9 to 2.0 has been compared to past events. The HU community has always been vocal. They have very strong opinions on the game. The vast majority of players are all good, some are gd fantastic. They like their game the way the like it. It breeds a contested environment when it comes time for decisions. THIS IS GOOD. Most have had a thick enough skin to take the root of the argument, rather than all the crap around it, and try to change things for the better as a restult (Ensley has been a champ about this for the most part). Those that were not around for the arguments about some of the 1.3 patches (like when we eventually lost blue) complaining about toxicity...makes me laugh...a lot. Get over it. It isn't personal. Quit taking everything like it is.

We are just going to have to agree to disagree then. With an ever decreasing community base I think we should be doing everything we can to encourage new players to stay. Similar to what PureRage said, with no groundbreaking new features to draw new players in that other mods offer how else are we going to keep this mod from suffering a slow death? Living in the past and refusing to change with the times only hurts us more in the future, and I would like to continue playing HU for years to come, perhaps with a new and thriving community base we cultured with a less flippant and hostile attitude towards our new players?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:30 am 

PureRage-DoD wrote:
Mrawskrad wrote:
HU was most popular from 1.21 to 1.5. This may have been because it was a newer mod back then or because those were better patches. 1.6 ran a lot of people off and 1.7 finished most of the survivors off. 1.8 saw a return of a lot of older players, but it has some issues due to 1.7 base files that I used that I overlooked. I should have never used 1.7 files to make 1.8. That's my biggest HU modding regret and I'm fixing that mistake now.

The initial almost unplayable 1.4 was the patch that drove the majority of people off and a lack of anything new/interesting to explore or do being added to most patches. I thought I read that 1.9 was pretty much perfect until Ensley edited it, what happened to the original 1.9 if that was the case?

What were the issues with 1.7 that you overlooked? I've been modding it since it was released Mostly with the code features listed further below but I haven't found any issue with the text files that couldn't be fixed in a matter of minutes mainly because it's extremely user friendly text file wise. Less time required to make text edits, means more time to work on the code base and add neat stuff like the list further below. If there's an issue with them I overlooked I'd be glad to hear of it though so I can fix it in my own version. Not that 1.7 was perfect, far from it, I wasn't a fan of the upgrading item mechanic, fewer number of unique items or trash to boss hp ratio, but that only took an evening and a bit to rectify.

The mod gets rebalanced every single patch and it's never "right" because being right is subjective when it comes to game design. The only things that have survived from patch to patch are new areas & bosses, the warp tome, high res, new stat screen and QoL code edits. The mod hasn't been difficult since 1.2 (1.21 onwards it's been faceroll by at least 1 class, lets be honest) Discovering that a mod which uses difficulty as a main drawing point is actually easy and has very little in the way of new things to experience, is obviously going to be off putting. The ONLY thing HU ever had over other mods was it's difficulty and that's what drew people in, but that's not enough any more.

The quality of mods recently has been going up and up. HU is competing with mods that have features far in advance of anything in the past. Daily and weekly realm events, entire sub quest and class quest systems built into the UI just like regular quests. 16+ players in same game, custom skill functions, independent skill cooldowns, on screen item comparisons, quick shift items between stash/cube/inv, new item slots, charm slots/charm section inventory. The list goes on, and those are the default expectation, as most mods have some/all those features as standard now as they aren't too difficult to implement, just time consuming.
Many of them stick to the classic D2 feel through the game too so that's another HU USP gone.
No amount of rebalancing is going to draw any significant number of people for longer than 1 play through if the mod is stuck in neutral being "balanced" every patch with nothing new or innovative and little to no difficulty. To be honest, I don't even think being difficult is enough to attract any decent number of players from what they have to choose from currently. There are more difficult mods around now than ever.

I've been saying this for years, hence every time I help out, I try to add something new to explore/experience or make improvements to the core itself. Those are the things that tend to stick.

TL;DR, if you want to compete in 2018 you need to be innovative. "9th balance patch in 7 years, pretty much the same game you played last year, and the year before, and the year before, just balanced (subjectively)" isn't going to excite people when there are so many mods that have continued to advance with the times.

I had no idea you are still around here :-) Those aftermentioned changes that other mods have, are pretty much as important as a balance in the game itself.

I would literally got super hyped if we get charms inventory, the mod for quick moving items in and out. There is more QoL stuff that can be found among other mods. Staying close to original D2 experience doesn't mean we have to skip all this stuff.

If only there was a hero that could merge those changes to HU with patch 2.1. This would have been perfect in pair with balance changes incomming.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:39 am 
Game Server Host

Mrawskrad wrote:
Anyways, what do you expect? Other big mods have full time modders/realm hosts. I just do this when I have free time. It's not my day job. Nor is it anyone elses.

Hey! That's my line :D

I'm not saying spend more time modding or to make it happen right now. I'm saying, maybe try to allocate some of the time you have to content, QoL or game play improvements too. If all of your time is being spent balancing, and a decent % of it gets redone again on the next patch anyway, that's just time spent treading water. You can't be everyone's cup of tea, or you'd just be a mug.

If you spend some of your modding time on balance and some on content/game play/QOL, the mod starts to feel like it's moving forward again. It's good for both the modder (morale/knowledge wise) and the players, and it keeps people interested. It doesn't matter if the steps are small, as long as you're moving forward, and not stagnating on a treadmill.

It's not that other modders have more time or do it full time. It's that they spend some of their time on those things. It's almost a tortoise and hare situation except instead of sleeping, the rabbit is balancing while the tortoise passes it and keeps on steadily moving forward.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:47 am 

You're right but it's been a couple years since we had a patch that is even close to "normal" HU. My first priority is getting back to that. After that then myself or other modders can add QoL stuff. Which honestly, takes a much longer time than balance changes.

I'm not as experienced with edited d2 code as you. Maybe you could advise me or others to make these changes.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:49 pm 

I'm back and ready to be toxic and vile and break everyone's game. How long till I solo LOS or break this?

Seriously though excited if this is going to be a grind. I miss a good HU.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:01 pm 

WB dude :)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:58 am 

I think it would be good to go back to a time where this game was basically Demon's Souls before Demon's Souls really took off. As for the gambling part, it has been too easy for a while now glad to see that changing personally.

Offline Profile