It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:30 pm

Does community need 3rd host?
Yes 100%  100%  [ 14 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14
 Post subject: Third host
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:22 am 

Hello there :D

Some of You may remember me from a couple years ago, I was playing and was one of the hosts. Due to my personal life struggles, I had to take a break.

Now I'm back with some time to play, and most importantly a machine in a big city on a corporate line with really low latency and guaranteed uptime. I'm based in EU, pings to google 4-7 ms, and for example to DuFF server 110-120 ms.
Even tho I'm based in EU I don't play on Franky server, I feel it is more laggy and glitchy then DuFFs one.

I already wrote to DuFF if he wants me to co-host with him, but figured out that I can make a poll before he answers me back.

Feel free to leave comments or ask if you have any additional questions or want to know how is my ping doing to different locations.

Cheers :D :D

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Third host
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:50 am 

Yes! And it's greatly appreciated by everyone. :)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:17 am 

I can see. Already 5 votes. Now then there is nothing else than to wait week or two for DuFF to answer me :-)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:48 am 

I think the bigger issue is needing someone active with some kind of remote access to restart servers, because if your character gets stuck in a frozen server, it doesn't matter how many other hosts there are, and sometimes people get stuck for days being unable to play. So either remote access or at least a more direct contact with Duff so he could fix it whenever he is free; which might take some hours if he's busy, but really being locked out for days is unacceptable.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:39 am 

Ensley03 wrote:
I think the bigger issue is needing someone active with some kind of remote access to restart servers, because if your character gets stuck in a frozen server, it doesn't matter how many other hosts there are, and sometimes people get stuck for days being unable to play. So either remote access or at least a more direct contact with Duff so he could fix it whenever he is free; which might take some hours if he's busy, but really being locked out for days is unacceptable.

It's already two days since DuFF server is down. If there was any contact with DuFF we could speak with him to give somebody a so-called "red button" to reset servers. But as far as he stated it last time, he prefers not to trust anyone in that matter.

I'm quite sure that someone of old members had direct contact to DuFF in some shape or form, but I don't really remember who it was.

Either way, I think that me joining on hosting duty can significantly improve the experience for everyone.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:00 pm 

I remember your server prescot. I'm sure there would be no problem with you hosting at all. As far as duff goes, we'll all just have to wait till he checks back in.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:07 pm 

Ensley03 wrote:

At least now that the server is down the people stuck in it can play again. I have to be honest, server instability is the number one reason my group and I always end up leaving after a few weeks and only come back to try new patches. It keeps getting worse as time goes on.

With the drama of the potential immediate patch reset and wholly unreliable servers I doubt we will play on the community servers again. I have a 1gig line and an extra machine capable of hosting so our solution now is to host our own private server, which is a shame because at one point in time I really enjoyed this community and the people we played with.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:44 am 

Convert wrote:
Ensley03 wrote:

At least now that the server is down the people stuck in it can play again. I have to be honest, server instability is the number one reason my group and I always end up leaving after a few weeks and only come back to try new patches. It keeps getting worse as time goes on.

With the drama of the potential immediate patch reset and wholly unreliable servers I doubt we will play on the community servers again. I have a 1gig line and an extra machine capable of hosting so our solution now is to host our own private server, which is a shame because at one point in time I really enjoyed this community and the people we played with.

Don't be angry at me but your whining and not actually helping to find out a solution. What is more, this is not the first time I see you post something similar.
You should rather be me, I'm back to the mod and also have a quite reliable line and spare machine. Instead of whining about instability I offer my services to the community to actually increase the reliability of the servers. Instead, you choose to whine and be selfish and hold everything only to you and your friends.

Try to think about it this way ...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:12 am 

But as I mentioned before, it doesn't matter if you have 10 solid hosts if 1 goes down and people have their characters frozen for days because they were on that specific server at the time it crashed. Yeah a couple more reliable strong hosts with good ping, 1 for NA 1 for EU, would be amazing. But what we need is someone active with access to restart them like Mraw or Pious or myself. Some people could have that persons' phone number and send a text, 'hey bruh we need a restart' 'okay I'll take care of it in a couple hours when I'm home' problem solved.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:23 am 

Prescot wrote:
Convert wrote:
Ensley03 wrote:

Don't be angry at me but your whining and not actually helping to find out a solution. What is more, this is not the first time I see you post something similar.
You should rather be me, I'm back to the mod and also have a quite reliable line and spare machine. Instead of whining about instability I offer my services to the community to actually increase the reliability of the servers. Instead, you choose to whine and be selfish and hold everything only to you and your friends.

Try to think about it this way ...

I feel like you've missed the point, which ensley has pointed out again. By all means another host would be good, I welcome it, but I'm still not going to want to risk being unable to play for days when a server goes down. I offered to host years ago and was told no need anyway.

The point I was making is there are larger issues at play. The 20 people who still play this, as far as I can tell, all but hate each other... and every time you join a game you risk not being able to play for days. It's not an isolated incident, it's happened to me twice in a week now. 4 out of 7 days I've spent locked. I'm not going to spam create games to try and get your host when I could play privately with my friends, that's essentially what happens in public games anyway with the amount of players here.

I think the real elephant in the room that no one is willing to address is if duff's server is becoming more and more unreliable and actively driving away what player base is left, why not try to find more permanent alternative hosting and let duff walk away from something he is no longer interested in?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:16 am 

Hi,

It would be nice to have a EU based server.

In regards of the instability issue;

From what I remember this issue is related only to duff machine right?,
Did this issue ever happen on franky's server or on any other server?

Did some digging on the web, this might be related altogether to pvpgn
https://forums.pvpgn.pro/viewtopic.php?id=1923
( need to confirm )

A possible solution would be to write a script that reboots pvpgn realm or server under specified conditions. ( depending on the nature of this problem )

Something like one of this or other:

Check for frozen games, kills it
Checks for frozen pvpgn server, tries to recover via, restarting the application or if needed and possible the machine.
Checks for long running game stats like runnig for 24h etc, + kills all this games with realm wide message.

of course this is all subject to conditions such as where is the server running, and is there any other important applications running on it, that need to stay on, is this dedicated or not etc.

Writing such script should be very easy, I could do this myself if I can recreate this issue and the solution is acceptable by everyone.

Anybody tried troubleshoot this issue?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:16 am 

My server is now added to the realm. Please inform me how it performs and if there are any hiccups on it. :-)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:04 am 

Prescot wrote:
My server is now added to the realm. Please inform me how it performs and if there are any hiccups on it. :-)

Prescott your server is having a serious issue right now. The maximum amount of gold you are able to carry and able to hold in stash are severely lower than the other servers. I haven't done extensive testing (because I only have 600 gold find right now and it takes ages) but it also appears that having over the max allowed on your server in stash or on person also causes the entire sum to disappear.

The max carry at level 58ish seems to be set to 1m while its at 5.8m on other servers and I don't really have the time to check the stash because it deletes all the gold over a certain amount.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:47 am 

He needs to use the correct d2mod.ini

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:40 am 

Mrawskrad wrote:
He needs to use the correct d2mod.ini

Do you know which one is the correct one? I can see I have the same as is in the package normres no music.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:21 pm 

Dude just change the d2mod ini to say
; Max gold in stash (multiplier), normal is 50000
StashGold = 200000
;
; Max gold in inventory (multiplier), normal is 10000
InvGold = 100000

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:34 pm 

I did that already right after my post. We will see if it will fix it.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:21 pm 

Holy fucking shit, I lost all my gold in stash for the second time when connecting to this server. There is still something grossly wrong and it needs fixed now...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:05 pm 

Ensley03 wrote:
Holy fucking shit, I lost all my gold in stash for the second time when connecting to this server. There is still something grossly wrong and it needs fixed now...

It's a shame because the server is remarkably stable and the latency is tolerable even from the USA. I haven't tried it yet today but I was struggling to get a non-prescot server last night to farm gold in. Not sure if that was due to high load on the others while his has issues or what.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:43 am 

Convert wrote:
Ensley03 wrote:

It's a shame because the server is remarkably stable and the latency is tolerable even from the USA. I haven't tried it yet today but I was struggling to get a non-prescot server last night to farm gold in. Not sure if that was due to high load on the others while his has issues or what.

I'm not entirely sure that this bug still exists tho. Just because of Ensley I spent good 3h farming gold to surpass 50% of declared stash gold (as he claimed that's the problem), and none of it disappeared from my char even after logging again on another game on my server.

I've reset config right after my first post and restarted the whole server after Ensley complaining so much.

Right now from my tests it seems to be working.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:02 am 

I dont have the ability to test it right now but I will after work and let you know.

Offline Profile