Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:34 am

Post subject: How does the math work with Gold Find + Mercs + MP (HU 1.6)?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:28 pm 

Does it matter who gets the killing blow? What about in multiplayer? Other player's mercs?

Lets talk single player first:
Say I have a character with 1000 Gold Find.
Say my Merc has 500 Gold Find.

If I get a kill, does the gold drop use 1000 or 1500?

If my merc gets the kill, does the gold drop use 500, 1000 or 1500?

----------------

What happens in multiplayer:

P1 has 1000 Gold Find
P1Merc has 500 Gold Find

P2 has 100 Gold Find
P2Merc has 50 Gold Find.

Players are partied together and in range.

If P1 gets the kill, how much Gold Find is used? 1000? 1500? 1600? 1650?

What about if P1Merc gets the kill? P2? P2Merc?
If P2Merc gets the kill, does it only have 150 Gold Find? Does it have P1 + P2 + P2Merc (1150)? Does P1Merc's Gold Find come into play at all if neither P1 nor P1Merc gets the kill?

It seems like, without factoring in mercs, the Gold Find seems to use the total of all players...I think? If I'm wrong, please clarify! :)

When it comes to mercs though, I have absolutely no idea how the math works in multiplayer.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: How does the math work with Gold Find + Mercs + MP (HU 1
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:14 pm 

The Magic Find and Gold Find effects in HU (all versions) are the same effects as in Vanilla D2. The main difference in HU is that while in Vanilla a boss might have 10% chance to drop a Unique (25% chance if you had +150%MF), HU bosses generally already have 100% chance to drop Uniques (MF is still decent for builds that specialize in clearing trash).

MF and GF are only applied for the player that landed the killing blow. If that player's Merc lands the killing blow, then the Merc benefits from their own MF/GF in addition to their player's MF/GF. For example, if you had gear with 100%MF 400%GF and your Merc had 100%MF 0%GF, then your Merc's kills would benefit from 200%MF and 400%GF.

Playing in a party has no effects on MF/GF, but it does raise the odds of monsters dropping something.

All of these effects are hard coded I think, so should apply to most D2 mods.

References and more information:
http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/magic/magicfind.shtml
http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/basics/parties.shtml

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:50 pm 

Thanks for the response. When reading through that documentation, something doesn't seem to add up though.

The Magic Find article states:

Quote:
How does Magic Find work in a Party?
The chance to get a Magic Item will be determined on the player that makes the killing blow on the monster. If the party has several items that give a Better Chance of Getting Magic Item, they are not added together, whichever party member makes the killing blow will determine the chance of getting a Magic Item. For the best results, have the player in the party that has the best Chance of Getting a Magic Item finish off all the monsters.

From what you described to me, gold find works the same way: AKA it's not added up - the player who gets the killing blow has their GF/MF value applied.

In practice though, this doesn't seem to be true unless I'm missing something. Recently I've been running a GF Paladin with a friend who has very little Gold Find. I'm a weakling who can't kill things very well and he's a DPS sorceress. As such, he's getting most of the kills but we're still getting kickass gold drops (over 2m gold from champions in Normal Baal's Fortress). When soloing, those are the kinds of gold drops I get.

If he's getting all the kills and my gold find isn't applying, where's all our gold coming from? He's getting most of the kills but I'm not seeing lower gold drops as a result.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:19 pm 

It's hard to say what exactly is going on, but consider if any of these sound reasonable, and maybe run a test to rule some out:
  1. Maybe your merc is getting the kills that result in $2M. To test this, don't play with your merc for a while.
  2. Maybe the Sorc's merc has huge GF% gear and is getting some kills. Maybe just ask if her merc has any GF.
  3. Maybe you're getting some kills from a thorns-like effect, or you have some minions other than your Merc. To test, just try to kill/summon nothing at all. Keep in mind that with GF/MF, you don't have to contribute the most damage, just the most killing blows.
  4. Maybe a Paladin's aura, while affecting a party member, adds his GF to them (either hard coded or as a feature of the D2 mod). That guy who wrote the ArreatSummit reference might have not included it. To test this, let the Sorc get all the kills while you're not running any aura at all.
  5. You mentioned Champs, which in HU have traditionally dropped extra-large gold piles. A champ killed with 0%GF and trash killed with 1000%GF might end up yielding the same gold numbers. This might make your tests a bit tougher to examine (Was that gold pile from a trash I killed or a champ the sorc killed or maybe someone's merc got the last hit or ...). Just keep this in mind if testing somewhere like Hatestorm's causeway or InnerCloister WP.
  6. Maybe the guys who modified HUv1.4 through v1.6 found some modding package that allowed them to add the feature where GF really is shared with the party. I suppose we could compare .dll files between HU versions to see if this looks likely. I'm not sure those guys frequent the forum anymore, so might not comment.

I can't think of anything else to try, but perhaps someone else will come up with some tests or information about changes that occurred in HUv1.6.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:46 pm 

Sounds good, I'll mess around with it some more.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

Offline Profile