Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 am

Post subject: Running in wine on Linux
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:44 am 

Hi all,

Have been an avid player of this mod for many years... It's IMO the best mod there is for D2...

Onto the problem - I got the latest 1.7 lowres, put it on a D2 1.10 fresh install and ran d2modinstaller which modifies the .dll files right? Put the patch in last.

Then I put a glide wrapper, so it runs with nice gfx.

Then I ran wine Diablo II -direct -txt,

the game loads and everything works great... D2mod system 1.3 in the lower left, so that's working. I ran through, made it up to the cold plains and hired an hireling for a nice meat shield...

Then I noticed an oddity... I couldn't equip a belt or gloves on my merc. Main weapon, helmet and armour works though. It seems d2mercmod isnt fully working.

I moved the whole install over to Win7 and ran it, I could equip the merc fine. But back on linux, it doesn't work.

I want to try to fix this, can someone tell me how the d2mercmod is loaded, so I can try to examine the files? D2mod system is loaded, but... I don't know what else may be broken. What else should I look for (that are in external .dll files that I can check functionality of) ?

Hope somebody can be of help!

edit: I ran the d2modinstall on a win7 virtual machine, so that should have worked. Also, I've run it without the glide wrapper and it sometimes flickers badly, but does run, and the glitch is the same. But I prefer it with the wrapper, so it doesn't flicker.

Also clarification... The hireling screen has all the item slots available, and i can hold a sash over the belt slot, and it comes up red instead of green, even though the hireling has the necessary level, strength, etc to wear it.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Running in wine on Linux
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:17 am 

I haven't encountered the error you found while running via Wine (v1.6.2; Ubuntu 16.04), so I'm sorry I don't have the info you requested. You might find some information on PhrozenKeep (a general D2 modding forum).

My installation method was to copy-paste the entire D2 folder (that used D2SE) from a working Win8.1 installation to the Linux computer via USB drive. Even though I can get D2 running in Wine, I can only get it to play well in windowed mode and with DirectDraw, and then I had to change the hotkeys (Wine wasn't capturing the Alt key so I swapped it to Space rather than fight with stuff I don't know well).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:26 pm 

It sounds like the HUmod isn't being utilized on your linux setup, which makes you run in vanilla mode but with the edited screens, like your merc display.

Might be a path reference somewhere?

Can you manually execute the statements from d2modsetup.bat and see if something goes wrong there?

Can you rename your logfile and attempt another go? This should create a new (small) logfile and plz attach it here.

If the physical merc in act1 is hireable, that is an easy check, those are not in vanilla.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:25 am 

Thank you for your replies!

I did something similar to Brevan, I installed it on Win7 in a virtualbox... and ran the d2modsetup thingy in that space and tested the game IN the win7 virtualbox. It is quite glitchy (virtualbox is shit), but the merc stuff works.

Then I copy pasted the entire folder over to the wine linux directory and ran a custom .sh script to run wine "Diablo II.exe -direct -txt"

And, it seems that yes, the physical mercs are not hireable... so Zorax you may be right. However, I assumed the whole thing was actually working, because I can see the glyphs and sockets drop and the new HU changed minibosses and map changes are in the game. I start the game having to punch shit for the first few levels cos nothing is equippable, which is standard for HU.

Brevan, I had the same issue with Alt, it likes to "Grab" the window! I also run in windowed mode as it seems to like that better. I have not tried D2SE, as It seems to be complicated shit to add. I've never actually used it, and always have just used Diablo II.exe ... I will look into this D2SE business and see if that works better, and put up a log file shortly.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:47 am 

OK,

Thanks! I decided to run off D2SE instead, after taking a while to figure out how this thing works... I must say, its pretty good.

Glide wrapper is already prepackaged and its got all these fancy options. I'm running Hell Unleashed off it, in wine and its actually working 100% as it should now.

More is in-game that I didn't notice was missing when I ran straight off Diablo II.

I would recommend anyone else running wine to use D2SE

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:54 am 

Some points to consider to ensure you've got it running bug free:
  • There are no Phys Rogues in HUv1.7 (I forget if they were removed from v1.3 that I started modding from or if I removed them and forgot why (unless I remember, I'd be open to returning them)). Similarly, there's no A3 P&Bone merc.
  • Characters should start the game with 30 stat points and $10k to spend. I'm partial to starting a new char with with a cheap Dagger (They have a +3HP&MP/Kill automod, which is very effective to start the game). You shouldn't have to punch things to get started, but you have the right to do so.
  • Characters receive +3 ARating per Strength, but this was delivered via a hidden passive skill all players have so it inherits the D2 bug where the stats granted by passive skills won't update until the skill's level changes (or you enter a game). With that in mind, you won't see the ARating improve as you place a point into Str. You can toggle the hidden skill's level by equipping anything with +AllSkills (i.e. keep a 2-handed weapon or class-item on switch). After the toggling you'll receive the +ARating (If you dumped all your 30 starting stats into Str, then you'd notice the lack of +90 ARating). After about char level 30 you won't notice the +15ARating gained from dumping your level-up stats into Str, so you can ignore this feature/bug. There is a similar issue with Barb's Weapon Masteries, IronSkin, and Sorc's Elemental Masteries (spend your skill point, then if the effects are important to you then toggle your +AllSkills level (re-equip something with +AllSkills, cast BCommand, etc)). Personally I ignore this issue after char level 1.

With respect to D2SE, as a player you shouldn't have to worry too much about this. You've installed it, so you've got a Mods folder in your D2 folder, but all you should have to do is create a new folder for HUv1.7 within it, and extract the files from the compressed packages provided in the main download thread. When you run D2SE, make sure you press the "Start Plugin" (i.e. start a D2 mod) button instead of "Start D2" (i.e. start Vanilla D2 regardless of mod files, which I'm sure is exciting from a debugging point of view). I don't think there's much more to worry about since the D2SE.ini file should be setup for you by the Modder. That file is what tells D2 to run with -direct -txt as well as to use the D2ModSystem built for D2:LoD v1.10 (So if you're using D2SE, you shouldn't have to patch to v1.10, but note that Blizzard's current D2v1.14 isn't compatible with D2SE at all).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:19 pm 

Yep, the first thing I noticed was I started with 30 points and $10k.. I didn't when running off Diablo II.exe which was why I was punching monsters to start off!

It all seems to be working properly now...

I do miss the physical A1 hirelings.. I went with those because I like good old physical damage, easier to deal with immunes and its easier to crank up the damage on those.

Though, two things...

I tried to make the lowest available runeword in the html files - which was Wealth... Jewel, Eld, El, Jewel... I used two rare jewels and it didn't recognise the word. So I have a torso armour with just "EldEl" on it.. Is this because I used rare jewels or is it broken?

And there is a quirk to running Diablo II off wine, it absolutely hates having the window de-focused, when I alt-tab somewhere else the game completely freezes and I have to force-quit it. Have you got this issue as well?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:45 pm 

When I run via Wine I also have an issue with the window freezing if it loses focus. I don't know of a solution to it, but I started running with the Glide wrapper configured to capture the mouse and not let it go, which helps quite a bit. Still feels pretty awkward using Space key instead of Alt, but I think it's a setup I could get used to. I haven't tried switching to a new workspace (sorry, but I can't test right now).

"Wealth" is jewel eld el jewel (the webpages are generated via a program parsing the mod files, so very few errors), and I've used it quite a bit. Any jewels are fine, even uniques (except Wirt's Jewel, since it's not a jewel in the files. That affects "War" as well. In the future we might be releasing an update for v1.7 where "Wealth" is turned to jewel eld el, where Wirt's are alright). Apologies for this, but without more information I have to assume you accidentally noobed-out: Runewords can only be made in Normal or Superior quality items (Not LowQuality, Magic, etc. Ethereal is alright) with the exact number of sockets required by the runeword (4 sockets for "Wealth").

Phys Rogues just used Multishot and GuidedArrow right? I'm not sure if they'd use the HUv1.7 version of Multishot intelligently (I trust players to stay in Multishot's range and level it appropriately for their play style), but I suppose they're often very close to the enemy so maybe it would work out alright. I'll look into it later and see how silly PhysRogues would be. Long ago I was tempted to enable A3 P&Bone using BSpirit, PExlosion, and Attract curse along with UnholyBlight (non-player skill that's a clone of the HolyAuras). Perhaps I'll find time to see if that works out as well as I think it would.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:11 am 

I don't know what I did wrong...

http://imgur.com/a/fK68d

Oh wait, magic.

I guess I did noob out. It's been a while since I played this.

Offline Profile