Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:16 am

Post subject: Skill Descriptions in HUv1.7
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:41 am 

For each skill, there are 3 main sections
  1. Header - This top section includes the skill name, a short description, and up to 4 lines of description that in v1.7 I've been using to share information about the skill that never changes as the skill levels. For example the resistances of a summon (set by monstats.txt), a next-hit delay (set by missiles.txt), etc. Sometimes a skill's effects in the Header are changed by their synergies.
  2. Level Stats - This middle section includes stats that change as the skill gains levels. Some changes will occur only after a few levels, but in almost all cases if I've placed a stat in this section then it will eventually change as the level increases.
  3. Footer - This bottom section is where the synergy information is. There are 6 lines of description allowed, so in some cases I couldn't put every detail. In cases where I just put a skill name (e.g. Enchant's synergies), then that synergy benefits every stat in the skill (e.g. ShiverArmor gives Enchant %ARating, Duration, and +2%Dmg; ChillingArmor gives EShield 1%AbsorbDmg, -1/16th MPperDmg, and Duration). WarCry is a notable exception, since it's synergy with Energy is capped at +120%MagicDmg, so I remove that synergy line if you've reached the cap (I don't recommend trying to reach the cap since it would take over 300Energy, but it might be fun to try).

I don't remember the details of v1.5 or v1.6's skill descriptions, but compared to v1.3 the skill descriptions of v1.7 are very transparent. There isn't much more to know than what is already listed.

If you have any questions about skill descriptions, feel free to ask. There's a good chance that I've forgotten to mention some special case, so if you notice something odd, then I don't mind explaining it.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Skill Descriptions in HUv1.7
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:22 am 

How much -light resist does zeal give to holy shock?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:07 am 

I guess it is also -1%/2Lvl Zeal

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:43 am 

Yes, that's right. When I first started editing the files back in 2012, one of my goals was to not use new strings (phrases) in the skill descriptions (that way no new foreign translation necessary), so I was forced to use some vague descriptions. Eventually when I started working with PureRage, I ended up using new phrases anyways, so it is unfortunate I didn't remember to improve some of the older work, like HolyAura synergies. Similarly, if a synergy doesn't say "per level" then that was just a limitation of the phrases available, that synergy (like all synergies) is level based.

There are a few soft synergies: Prayer (effect on DefensiveAuras) and SpiritOfBarbs (effect on other Spirits). I couldn't find a good way of sharing the information, but the skills shows the numbers, so any player could just look and notice that the effects are related to the soft level of original skill (Base level + Skills).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:41 pm 

I think you've done a mostly excellent job on the descriptions sans a few things.

You've explained it above, but for example your enchant synergy just states armor synergizes with it. Even something like dur/dmg/ar would of been preferable to no indication of what buffs it.

Also for the lulz I put 24 hard points into an auradins thing and it's hilarious. But I don't think it's hitting 25 times a second, when it should be 1/25 frames.

Offline Profile