Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 am

Post subject: How do I barb
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:40 pm 

Hey folks,

New to the mod and looking for some help building a barb. Mostly playing solo/with my brother.

I'm thinking of a WW barb, though not sure what weps to plan for, 1h vs 2h, etc. Does anyone have any tips/build ideas that they could toss my way? I know there is no options for respeccing, but since I'm brand new I want to be sure not to mess up too much! : )

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: How do I barb
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:21 pm 

in my oppinion messing up the skills of a barb is sort of hard to do as long as you keep synergies in mind and can think about if passives are worthwhile to you.

so my advice is going to be to get blade of arreat (pretty much regardless of the kind of barb you make) and in the case of whirlwind to keep its mechanics in mind, which im going to summarize quickly (and hopefully correctly)

1. whirlwind does not take ias from your gear, its only effected by the ias on your weapons, or the (unbugged, ie speed is relative to frenzy rather than double swing) speed combo of your weapons if you dual weild. so you can choose equipment keeping that in mind

2. whirlwinds range is based on the maximum range of the weapons you have equipped, or the range of your weapon if you are only using one weapon to ww with, so long range weapons can mean more trash gets caught at once

3. whirlwinds actual cast time is constant, and always hits once right away, the speed between hits is based on your attack speed though, so slow weapons will hit more often if you mash ww ( assuming your lucky enough to find a slow weapon)

4. (im a little unsure how this one works exactly, never tested it exhaustively)you are unable to die during whirlwind, though your hp can go negative, in which case you die as soon as ww ends. im pretty sure you cant start using potions mid ww, at least after you "die", but you can leech life to get your hp over 0, where you will nolonger die after that ww ends

of course most of those ideas revolve around gearing/playstyle issues rather than what you seemed to be worried about which is speccing issues. and that is because i dont think you would be able to ruin your barb long term by accident early on, which is what i think your worried about

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:24 pm 

One thing to note on weapon speed.
You want the faster weapon in the offhand. The speed is calculated similar to the assassin (or to frenzy or double swing) in that regard.

Also skill IAS influences WW speed, just not IAS from nonweapons on equipment.

It should be noted that frenzy has (always had) a best of 5.5 fpa (frames per attack). Double swing, in the current patch, also suffers from this because in 1.5 the animation used was switched to frenzy, and this was carried over to 1.6. It should be undone in 1.7 since it is using 1.3 as a base patch.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:49 pm 

really? since double swing still seems criminally fast in the current patch

frenzy and double swing definitely seem significantly different currently.

mayeb i just need to test more but double swing on my 30 barb seems to have passed 5 uses per second already, so that should have broken that speed cap no? (assuming its correct)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:01 am 

Hm. Maybe it was removed. in 1.6c. I remember running into it in 1.5, and thought that I played on 1.6 noticing the same thing early on. I don't have these characters to test atm.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:09 pm 

nope, doubleswing was faster in 1.5 to.

what your probably remembering is that with frenzy you have a maximum of 2 different attack speeds depending on how you put on your weapons, and doubleswing has 4 due to how its speed formula works, if you just assumed the order gear is equipped in doesnt matter, then it would be really easy to miss something like this.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:00 pm 

No, I specifically asked Mrawskrad to change the double swing anim back to original when he was working on things around 1.6 (because there exactly zero benefit to double swing...it was just a synergy sink, or for less mana but that is beside the point). He said ok. It should still be in his last feedback thread somewhere.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:55 pm 

im not sure how much the animation data would effect this, as i have observed the speed difference between doubleswing and frenzy in 1.2, 1.3 (i think some verisons of 1.4?) 1.5 and now 1.6; and in each case doubleswing has ended up ahead speedwise.

in effect doubleswing acts this way due to a bug that doesnt seem to be present in frenzy, and im not sure tweaking the animation data exactly fixes or could ever compensate for the effects of said bug, but i do like the idea of just embracing it for what it does to a character

Offline Profile