Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:43 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 

Update to 1.6c - no reset
Poll ended at Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:48 am
Do the update, no reset, everyone wins 55%  55%  [ 24 ]
Don't do the update because I hate kittens 45%  45%  [ 20 ]
Total votes : 44
 Post subject: Update - no reset
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:48 am 

After more work there is almost no risk in updating the patch without a reset. No builds have been nerfed or drastically changed so skill trees will all be fine.

The only item that could cause bad character data is Trang's Armor. If you have one, you might lose the character holding it, so I'd put it on a mule. It's very rare so I doubt more than a few people even have one.

This means people who have limited play time and new players won't have to deal with a reset. People who want to play with the new changes can do so and get rid of their old items if they want to experience it better, but they don't have to.

In the end, this is about fun, and this should really allow everyone to have fun without punishing anyone.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Update - no reset
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:32 am 

So are we sure if we do the update it wont fuck up shit that again will "force" to an reset?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:51 am 

snakzz wrote:
So are we sure if we do the update it wont fuck up shit that again will "force" to an reset?

Eh just need to inform everyone when the update is going to go live. Can mule trangs.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:52 am 

LockDown wrote:
snakzz wrote:

Eh just need to inform everyone when the update is going to go live. Can mule trangs.

Yea, just meant if we are sure if there wont be any other bad characther shit and other stuff that we/he didnt expect to happen :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:03 pm 

From what I've seen testing, the only things that seem to cause bad character data are items with oskills, on-equip auras, or deleted/renamed items. This means that Trang's armor is the only potential source for a dead character.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:23 pm 
Game Server Host

Current trang armor should keep the stats it currently has even after the update. Following the update, new trang armor will not have the oskill. It won't create bad char data, but there will be legacy trang armors floating around. Bad char data is generally caused by changes to the nuber of bytes used to save the stat etc. as the number of bytes used to store the stat info in the character save file will be changed.

Think of it this way: (using example numbers)

STR uses 7 bytes of space in the save file.
You change the byte size of STR to 6
The savefile now reads 6 bytes for the STR stat, and the next stat in the savefile uses the last byte of the previous STR stat as it's first byte. This is what causes bad char data.

You can confirm this by creating a new unique item. spawning it, then deleting the unique from unique items.txt. The now non existent unique item will still appear in the characters inventory, even though no such item exists in the .txt files. This is because the item has already been saved in the savefile for the character.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:40 pm 

Voted no. If the time he spent bitching about getting his patches uploaded was spent on testing and balancing instead, maybe i would have voted otherwise. Last time i checked the link to patch data he submitted didn't exist either. And why can't the options be "yes" and "no" instead of some stupid shit about kittens?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:57 pm 

This Gews guy why are you so angry? You are the only one I see Bitching here???

I voted yes because I see Good Changes and Good Effort and if I don't lose my characters that's a Bonus!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:14 pm 

I voted kittens because want reset

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:18 pm 

Well that's a stupid vote because a reset isn't going to happen.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:39 pm 

I am new here so my opinion probably doesn't matter but I don't see an issue with adding new content to fix problems....

Games update all the time, why is there a poll for it?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:09 am 

Syndo wrote:
I am new here so my opinion probably doesn't matter but I don't see an issue with adding new content to fix problems....

Issue - you lose quality players that have sustained HU for past years even in the hardest times, or ones that used to play and came back in hopes of not losing their progress 3x in the span of 2 months or less --> the benefits vs. the costs are clearly unfavourable to the community.

there will ALWAYS be bugs and things that are OP but that's just the way the game is and honestly has always been.

It's on you to find them and decide on how you use that knowledge (super klischee)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:10 am 

Syndo wrote:

Because updating the realm is a difficult/lenghty/annoying process.
Because it's almost never the same person making patches.
Because it's difficult to agree on changes due to different point on view on what is difficulty, what is broke and what is not.
Because 1.6c was first supposed to a reset-free hotfix, then it became a reset-necessary patch, then it went back to reset-free hotfix because people/we complained.
Because a reset so soon after a reset is extremely annoying for people that have little time to play and people that have invested a lot in their current characters.
Because we have a very small community as it is and we're trying to avoid driving people away unnecessarily.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:13 am 

^ thanks Riem

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:18 am 

Why reset?
because most players do not come to hell,
and they do not depend on the characters.
So my opinion.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]