Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:28 am

Post subject: To the guy marketing community patches as his own work
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:28 pm 
Game Server Host

Got a PM about an hour ago directing me to a site that hosts a HU server. The host seems to like taking credit for others work. Sooooo.

Since patches are being taken and hosted without permission and without crediting the official HU community or even providing a link to the official home, the following will be done for all future patches that I work on:

1) Future serverside patches will be sent to the hosts only.
2) Clientside patches will have edits made that make them incompatible with D2GS and a number of key text files will not be included.

I don't care if someone is running another server. There are many other HU realms out there that are set up, in China, Korea, etc. that are translated and hosted locally for players in those regions. Those servers link to the official home and don't take credit for others work though...
Other realms who link to the official community and provide proper credit can post here requesting the server patch under the assumption that:
1: The server patch will not be redistributed.
2: The request includes a link to a home page that provides links to the official home and official changelog for that patch.
3: The host does not profit or accept donations for the patch.

As the current patch is a band aid patch it's not a huge deal at the min.

If anyone else works on a patch, they are welcome to allow that work to be distributed under someone elses name.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: To the guy marketing community patches as his own work
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:55 am 

+1

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:21 am 

+2

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:56 am 

I mean this is ugly. How can smb first take mod (game) make server and try to convert people like paladin. You are nasty wannabe newbie paladin my friend. Dark paladin... I saw ur nasty paladin bot on chat. If u want promote ur server do it i proper way. Post on forum once/3 months some advertisment. Put on diablo 2 toplist your server etc. Action you commit are repulsing. Btw serves even they are american? working fine in mid europe. There's plenty of people never heard of hu and they would love play it. Hu should have on those 3 diablo toplist set place. I m sure community would be much bigger. This year europebattlenet with 2-4 modified items and drop rates, increase player base to 1500 people/day from 300/day on regular diablo 1.13server. Just good advertisment and time, hype of diablo 3 decreased, summer and also PoE didnt have any update long time.This all together increased their community x4 this year. They got also epic stable servers and good mods baning boters. Many private servers small servers died after diablo 3. Many people move from official diablo servers cuz of hacks to slash diablo server and europebattle.net.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:14 am 

How do you figure he is marketing patches as his own work? In the setup guide he explicitly says HU was created by SoulMancer, and in the patch thread he said "Mod changes/additions are credited to the Hell Unleashed and d2mods.info community"

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:13 am 

He said it seems. AKA he didn't look into it to determine whether the other individual is stealing it without credit or not.

Look the point is, do not send PMs on this forum and do not spam the realm. You can make a post about it, that's fine but your recruitment methods are ridiculous and in the end idiotic.

One post in the forums advertising your realm every few months. The spamming and the pms just make us really dislike you guys.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:58 am 
Game Server Host

FastCall wrote:
How do you figure he is marketing patches as his own work? In the setup guide he explicitly says HU was created by SoulMancer, and in the patch thread he said "Mod changes/additions are credited to the Hell Unleashed and d2mods.info community"

Because that wasn't there yesterday and there is still no link to the official page the patch came from. The Hell Unleashed.doc with links to the official page has also been removed and is not included with the download.
There are many HU communities, "The Hell Unleashed Community" could mean anything. The correct way to go about it would be:

"A new official (Arimyth) community patch has been released, you can read the details "Here" (Link to official patch page). Our servers are running the new version as of (Date), please update your client".
Or something like that

Next patches will have the URL to the forums on the loading screen, on the UI and on an item everyone starts with. So if someone does manage to get the server patch without permission (from a realm who is given access to the server patch etc.), the official forums link will always be visible. This won't be editable without the source of those edits (that won't be released) as I'll change the name of the files used to create the UI and those files will not be added to the listfile.
Any server patch that is given out will have something built in that tells me where the patch came from, so I'll know who gave it out simply by logging on to the realm.

Honestly, it was dumb to put a bot in the HU channel to advertise, and not provide proper credits/links to the official page. So was advertising on random forums saying "The official community has shut down, so we are reviving the mod". When all they are doing is taking patches made for the official community and passing them off as their own.

http://www.d3jsp.org/viewtopic.php?t=119800
Quote:
The mod is called Hell Unleashed. It has been around for awhile but it looks like the original servers were taken down and the guys over at a site similar to this one just made their own server and brought it back to life. They are also adding things to it to make it a bit better. It is much more difficult and really focuses on team play. I suggest you check it out.

As I said, I don't have a problem with spin off servers, just the way this one has been handled. The current patch is extremely flawed and is mostly a band aid fix until a more stable balanced patch can be released, so finding out about it now means they are stuck with:
A) A very outdated patch, or
B) The current, flawed patch.

Either way, it's not a massive job to prevent it in the future.
The client patch will just come with a built in launcher. If you set it to "realm", the client patch will use files that have all mobs with 1hp and no drops + all boss tp's disabled. I you set it to "Single Player" the patch will use files that disable the realm button and the -skiptobnet parameter but have monster hp/tp/drops working. If you don't use the launcher, it will default to the 1 hp/no boss portals/drops version. The files used for the "single player" switch will not be compatible with D2GS.
The server patch will always be running the correct monster hp/tp/drops so it won't have any effect on the end user.

Edit: Also, what Hunter_AS said. If you want to advertise, make a post in general or something. Provide proper credits and links to the official page and don't put an annoying bot in the channel. All it is doing is annoying people.
If you want to continue using the most up to date patches, then conduct yourself in a more professional manner.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:05 pm 

i swear man sometimes i want to just choke somebody. this is one of those times. thanks as always kevin i like this idea to keep the pirates away.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:58 pm 

You seem mad.

By the way, the bot in the channel stopped talking to me a while ago. It used to send a pm every time I entered the chat, but it no longer happens.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:06 pm 
Game Server Host

I do? Not really. Took less than 90 mins to do what i posted, besides the launcher. That's like 2 hours tops. Tested and confirmed next client patch will not work on realms. Server patch works with D2GS fine but won't be made public.

Job done.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:59 pm 

Just mentioning I had a post on their forums asking politely to remove the bot from the realm. Thread was deleted without an answer, which leaves me to believe that they're assholes. From what I had a chance to read, Rage got this well in hand for next time.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:28 am 

Riem821 wrote:
Just mentioning I had a post on their forums asking politely to remove the bot from the realm. Thread was deleted without an answer, which leaves me to believe that they're assholes. From what I had a chance to read, Rage got this well in hand for next time.

They surely are.

BigEagle wrote:
I actually got banned from d2 and d3 jsp for spamming their site to get users. We did get a few users from it though so it was worth it. Maybe I should do that again in a week or so when the D2 community is getting sick of the new ladder.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:24 am 

Those guys... "working on it". More like: Waiting for Mraw to publish the new patch and steal it.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:24 pm 

lol havocnav: newbie

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:02 pm 

sio or maserx used to play alot on realm 5-7 years ago. wont be able to rip off next patch tho :p

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:28 pm 

I think I remember sio.....

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:38 am 

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:46 pm 

hah! I remmenber all those fuckers xD they are doing a great show, awesome theater ;p (shame)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:47 pm 

honestly if that means no qwaz I'll take it lol

Offline Profile