Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 pm

Post subject: Can't get the mod to work
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:23 pm 

Hello everyone.

I played Hell Unleashed with a few friends years ago, and one of those friends tried to get me playing again not too long ago. Well, this seems like a cool story, but I simply cannot get this thing to work. Before we jump into conclusions, such as "Lel, you tried it once and came to cry, lel.", nope, I came here after reinstalling the whole game and starting over for the 4th time. Still no success.

Let's get to the error. In fact, there is no error. There is a standard Diablo II error message which doesn't mean anything, as it's displayed when there isn't a clear error to display(or so I've read after using Google). Namely:
Diablo II Exception
UNHANDLED EXCEPTION:
ACCESS_VIOLATION (c0000005)
This pops up after I start the game, before ANYTHING comes up. Yeah, the game doesn't even start. Just throwing this here: I'm using Windows 7, 64-bit edition.

What I've tried before:
I installed the game, Diablo II, itself, then installed the expansion, patching it up to 1.10. At this point, I started the game to make sure it runs on my PC. 100% confirmed, there are no errors, nothing is missing, everything is correctly working. I can play standard Diablo II LOD 1.10 just fine.

Here comes the tricky part. I downloaded everything needed from the forum thread with the latest patch. Downloaded files are: Hell_Unleashed_1.41_Non-D2SE_Core, Hell_Unleashed_1.41_D2SE_Core, Hell_Unleashed_1.41c_Full and the LOD patch to get it up to 1.10, but it's already working at this point.

Now, my first try was with the Non-D2SE Core. What I did was; extracting the nonSE archive to my Diablo 2, running modsetup, then extracting the 1.41c full patch. I noticed that the game wanted the CD, so I threw in a loader. Game started! Everything was completely messed up, pictures out of place, and such. But, I registered an account, created a character and succesfully joined a game. A lot of stuff was out of place, like stamina bar dislocated and the like. I tried to check out the skill tree, and the game instantly crashed. I never got to this point ever again, so the first attempt was the best attempt.

Since it didn't work, I tried removing the loader, and tried a lot of other things afterwards(after reinstalling 4 times already). I tried it with and without SE, running modsetup after placing the full patch or before the full patch, using compatibility mode, using Direct3D instead of DirectDraw, launching with the Hell Unleashed.bat, Game.exe, Diablo II.exe, windowed mode, fullscreen mode, removing the glide DLL inside the folder because I'm not using it anyway, editing the D2SE_SETUP.ini because it's originally set up to use glide(so setting it to Renderer=0 for 2D).

Basically: Nothing worked. I could run the game at the first try, and it was buggy as hell and crashed. Afterwards, I get the error message I shared before every time I launch the game. Every. Single. Time. Standard Diablo 2 works, HU just doesn't work, no matter how I try to make it run.

Edit: If you suggest something I already tried before and didn't type in the post, I'm already sorry, I'll point it out then. I tried so many things, I can't call everything back right away.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Can't get the mod to work
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:36 pm 

Try running D2ModSetup AFTER all files are in the correct folder, not just the core.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:31 am 

kramuti wrote:
Try running D2ModSetup AFTER all files are in the correct folder, not just the core.

the_apologizer wrote:
...running modsetup after placing the full patch or before the full patch...

The only reason I tried both ways is because my friend who is playing currently made it work by using modsetup before applying the full patch. Originally, I launched the modsetup after everything was already extracted properly. I'm sorry if my first post didn't make this clear.

Edit: Case solved. I can't believe how easy the solution was. Apparently, a few files in the folder were read-only, for whatever reason. It took two clicks to solve the mystery. Good thing I reinstalled 4 times for no reason.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:29 pm 

New windows will often make things read only...
Four times, is A LOT less than others, so congrats! :)
Glad you got it working, it can be pretty damn annoying when it doesn't.

Offline Profile