Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 am

Post subject: Higher Screen Resolution
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:06 pm 

It isn't 1997 anymore. Maybe 1% of computers actually run at 800x600 resolution still. Would be cool to have it at 1024x768 or 1152x864.

I remember there were hacks for normal Diablo 2 for battle.net that enlarged the resolution. It doesn't make the characters and things larger, it just expands your screens range of vision.

I run 800x600 on window mode atm and it is tiny!

The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the souls tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore the soul deceive, despise and murder men.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Higher Screen Resolution
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:29 pm 

I think that was briefly considered for HU (or AM, it's been a while). The vote was for 'no' because D2's AI doesn't handle higher resolutions. Basically at higher resolutions, any ranged character can target monsters outside of the monster's AI range, and kill them. Aside from this super-easy abuse of monster AI, I don't think there were any other problems.

If you're struggling with sprite size while in Windowed mode, you could try changing your computer's resolution to something like 1024x768, and then run HU. It should only take a couple seconds, which might not be too annoying if you play for a couple hours at a time.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:37 pm 

Brevan wrote:
I think that was briefly considered for HU (or AM, it's been a while). The vote was for 'no' because D2's AI doesn't handle higher resolutions. Basically at higher resolutions, any ranged character can target monsters outside of the monster's AI range, and kill them. Aside from this super-easy abuse of monster AI, I don't think there were any other problems.

If you're struggling with sprite size while in Windowed mode, you could try changing your computer's resolution to something like 1024x768, and then run HU. It should only take a couple seconds, which might not be too annoying if you play for a couple hours at a time.

Dont monsters come running if you hit them from any range though? I can see what ya mean as range having the advantage, though melee seems to be pretty strong in HU.

The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the souls tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore the soul deceive, despise and murder men.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:01 pm 

It's been quite a while, and I wasn't the one that installed and tested the resolution mod, but I think monsters' AI did nothing if they were too far out of range.

I think the only memories I have of my own testing are when FBall was a synergy for Hydra (around HU v 1.06). I used to use Hydra at the edge of the screen to triangulate where enemies where, and then I'd hit them with FBall. I don't have any memories of anything actually running into my view from offscreen, or them shooting back (might have died too fast?). Even if only the creature actually hit would attack back, then I could still 1v1 anything I wanted. Just make a Multishot Zon to experience that for yourself, and carpet the map (arrows have a range of about 2 screens).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:15 pm 

Brevan wrote:
It's been quite a while, and I wasn't the one that installed and tested the resolution mod, but I think monsters' AI did nothing if they were too far out of range.

I think the only memories I have of my own testing are when FBall was a synergy for Hydra (around HU v 1.06). I used to use Hydra at the edge of the screen to triangulate where enemies where, and then I'd hit them with FBall. I don't have any memories of anything actually running into my view from offscreen, or them shooting back (might have died too fast?). Even if only the creature actually hit would attack back, then I could still 1v1 anything I wanted. Just make a Multishot Zon to experience that for yourself, and carpet the map (arrows have a range of about 2 screens).

I see. May be worth trying out. I had a bowa on bnet for patch 1.11 and whenever i hit something off screen it would walk to me after getting damaged, as well as any monsters near it.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:52 am 

When you enter a new area there should be a battle cry from the monsters that alerts all monsters in the given map area that there are intruders. Make the battles kind of like Disc 2 in the lord of the rings. They just keep coming with no regards about their own bodies.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:04 pm 

theres a certain radius that the engine has limitations to. once youre outside that radius of distance, thinks start to behave in funky ways (an example is the monsters that get hit but dont come after you or move...you can test this out in another mod [median] with a ranged attack [like a bowzon] and an extremely high amount of FRW, or with scroll lock [but that means using maphack which isnt allowed here]). i dont know the exact details too much, but you could ask a guy named Baerk. he is extremely knowledgeable on the mechanics of d2 and was the first to tell me about his theory on the d2 "invisible wall". he could tell you a lot about this subject.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:24 am 

muleofal wrote:
theres a certain radius that the engine has limitations to. once youre outside that radius of distance, thinks start to behave in funky ways (an example is the monsters that get hit but dont come after you or move...you can test this out in another mod [median] with a ranged attack [like a bowzon] and an extremely high amount of FRW, or with scroll lock [but that means using maphack which isnt allowed here]). i dont know the exact details too much, but you could ask a guy named Baerk. he is extremely knowledgeable on the mechanics of d2 and was the first to tell me about his theory on the d2 "invisible wall". he could tell you a lot about this subject.

Where can he be found? 800x600 in window mode is torture. Hehe.

If monsters really don't react, then its obv not worth it, unless of course the game can be modified for monsters to react when hit from further distances.

Offline Profile