Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 am

Post subject: Isn't conviction supposed to break immunities?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:22 pm 

I have level 34 conviction which does -54% resists, and my a3 cold merc has a -10% duriel's and 2 eye of frost rings, 1 -10% and 1 -8%. I know that's not very good gear but that's a total of -82% for him and he is not able to damage the cold mages in a1 of NM. Do these guys have 200% cold resist or something? And aren't they even higher in hell? I mean this is act 1 of NM and my level 84 merc cannot damage them with 82% in debuffs?

This must mean it's impossible to solo as a sorc since apparently immunes have 200%+ resists. I also rarely see the immunities drop from other mobs, including physical immunes in NM which I thought were only supposed to have like 110% resist.

Anyway someone tell me what I'm supposed to do about unbeatable immunities.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Isn't conviction supposed to break immunities?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:36 am 

When breaking immunities, the skills used only function at 1/5th effect. Using your -54% for example would equal 11% in this function. If the monster in question has, for example, 120% cold res it would still be immune. The merc has holy freeze aura, granting 10% passive pierce, which works at full effect which with conviction can break minor immunes, but the cold guys have 150% cold res.

IMPORTANT!!!! Pierce will NEVER break an immunity. In order to work, the immunity must first be broken, then pierce applies. This goes back even to vanilla, and has always worked that way. Conviction and lower resist work together with the same penalties even on the same target. Even maxed amp (-65%) can't break a lot of physical immunity, beyond nightmare.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:32 pm 

So it's borderline useless on anyone who's actually immune but allows to you to rape non-immunes? If pierce doesn't break immunities then how can anyone play a sorc? Don't tell me those crappy level 6 lower resist charges are going to do shit when a level 34 Conviction does nothing.

Seems kind of stupid. Thanks for the info.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:18 am 

Some monsters have low enough resist over 100 to be broken by level 1 lower res. Others are not so easily broken.

Once they are broken pierce acts at full effictiveness...don't underestimate this. I could give you some numbers, but hopefully I don't need to.

Sorc's do fine really. Get a different elemental merc or a physical based one...you are not supposed to just walk through all immunes with no consequence. Ssome subbosses can be a bit tricky if you try them on your own, but that is the case with virtually every build, no?

Some things may seem stupid until you remember this mod was meant to be played with more than 1 player in the game.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:57 am 

kramuti wrote:
Some things may seem stupid until you remember this mod was meant to be played with more than 1 player in the game.

this. The game is not supposed to be solo'd. For most, it's impossible. The game is more fun with more people anyways

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:12 am 
Game Server Host

This guy... Never played D2 before or something? Almost every question he has asked has been basic 12 year old D2 mechanics at work.

Useless players will generally call stuff they don't understand useless.

Sorcs do just fine in the hands of anyone with more than 2 grams of brain matter. You have a merc to deal with immunities and you won't be expected to kill anything thats completely immune to you (cold sorc v anya dragon etc) anyway.

Also, who said it's supposed to break immunities? I'm pretty sure the skill description says "Lowers the resistance", not "Breaks immunities".

Offline Profile