Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:16 pm

Post subject: Good bulds for a HU lan/playthrough
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:52 pm 

Hey, i've recently setup a HU lan with me and 4 other friends next week and Iunderstand that there is significant changes to many of the classes. We're going to be playing as a group of 5 and hope to play through atleast nightmare in one session. We want to have fun, and I really do not want one of them to feel that they must reroll their character mid session to compete or feel useful.

So with that out there, I'm wondering what are a few core optimal builds for each class. I understand classes like Poison java and bone necros are really strong but as we probably will have a relatively even class distribution it would not make sense to have a bunch of poison jav's running around.

We will not have any twink items to begin with, we will all be naked, and I hope to have the most glorious HU diablo 2 run through ever. So builds that are to a lesser extent gear independent would be quite nice, as I dont think we will be playing for the long haul, with builds centered around items like enigma or many of the high clvl items.

So HU, what builds work?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Good bulds for a HU lan/playthrough
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:12 pm 

if you play HC/SC your builds will vary I think..

But IMO a solid 5 man team could be:
Rabies Druid
Summon Nec
any barb w/ max bo
healer pali
smiter pali

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:41 pm 

We will be playing SC. Only one of us 5 has ALOT of D2 play experience. I'm not particularly looking for specific compositions, kind of just good builds that work for classes on HU. But if a specific composition is what it takes to get to hell, well then I guess that's the way we will have to go.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:21 pm 

Welcome and GOOD LUCK!

For an inexperienced and new group to HU (and as you stated only 1 member who is really versed in D2) I would for sure recommend that you have at the minimum:

1) Healer Paladin
2) Summon/curse Necro

Those two are imo the core to a good party that can get through hell (which is a feat in its own).

After the pally and necro, I would recommend two different dps builds for killing bosses. Make sure they do different elemental dmg (psn zon/ fire sorc or lite sin/psn zon ect ect)

To top the party off, I would run either a Bo barb, or Oak druid. Be warned that whoever plays the barbarian will have to enjoy the game as sort of a bot, as mele requires pretty strong gear in order to be played well and contribute much outside of the random BO/ any other warcry they provide for the group. Mele in hell untwinked can be a little frustrating, so just a heads up for the newer d2 players in your group.

Some of the best elemental dps builds for killing bosses are:
meteor sorc
psn zon
lite sin
fire druid
rabies druid

You kind of mentioned item setups for different builds, but honestly you will see once you start playing that items in HU are like water, very plentiful and there with minimal effort. The game is more focused on pushing bosses and quests and less on stopping to mf/ lvl. Your party should be ok for gear.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:33 pm 

Thanks alot for putting the effort into making that post Gcanada (we're all from Calgary!). I already have a volunteer for the healer paladin and i'm more than happy to amp damage and summon skeles. I guess the other three can fill in elemental DPS.

Is melee really that bad? Makes me sad T.T ; follows the same trend as reg D2.
So as I understand it now, gear drops like candy.

Anyways, again, I really appreciate the quality post. This mod is a little daunting, but we're just looking to down a couple couple (more like a dozen) drinks and just play some d2 for old times sake. Your information will go a long way.

I'll be sure to reference your post to my friends when they decide what class they want to play.

You spoke about Summon/curse Necro, is that either or, or a hybrid of the two, would you happen to have a skill template I could use?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:18 pm 

No problem, always looking to help out fellow Canadians!

For the summon necro, theres a couple for sure "max these" skills, and then 1pt wonders for many of the rest.

I would max LR (as elemental dmg is the best way to safely deal with hell bosses in HU). I would 1 pt other curses along the way, but be ready to use most in different key situations (also, its a good call leaving the experienced player in charge of the necro so he can help direct the flow of boss fights/ curses during it).

After that you have a choice. Bone necros are really good at pushing groups and clearing mobs. So you could max teeth/ bonespirit/ bonespear and then 1pt most summons and max golem mastery. This is a pretty popular setup among the people who play bone/ summon necs on HU that are in hell.

Or, you can opt to go full summoner route and go with max skele build (even with this, depending on your party its probably still better to max LR and 1pt amp). Note that all summons (even golems with max mastery WILL die to all bosses in hell, relatively fast. Because of this, summon necs turn into just blade spam/ curse bots in boss fights.

Either way, necros are solid because of LR, 1pt wonder curses and then summon spirit blades (which are used with the low cd on them to help keep bosses positioned). What you decide to do during your regular play through (summon/ bone) depends on your playstyle. Some people prefer the afk summon route, others cant stand it and need to manually kill shit on the way.

Also, for your friends looking at this post. Without beating around the bush and recommending all the different possible elemental builds that work well in hell and on hell bosses, I would say use a meteor sorc and psn zon if you want the 2 strongest ele dps builds. This is mostly because for an initial play through u can set up boss fights where they can do dmg and not have to get into mele range/ get hit to do it.

Good luck getting to and through hell. I think that first run in with Blood Raven will be a little eye opening on what your in store for =)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:39 pm 

Is it true all Canadians have manly beards and wear beanies?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:05 am 

i dont have a manly beard

Offline Profile