Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 am

Post subject: Any chance for skill reset potion?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:58 am 

Hey!
I was just wondering if there was any chance that there would be some kind of skill / stats reset item like the potion in the median xl mod? Would be nice if i could just reset my character and try a different build or something.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Any chance for skill reset potion?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:06 am 

That respec potion specifically relies on a function that was newly coded in diablo 1.13. This mod is Diablo 1.10 and will never have diablo 1.13's new function codes unless someone figures out how to code edit them into diablo 1.10.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:30 am 

Ahh I see. That's a shame :( Thanks for the quick reply!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:41 am 

Even if there was a way, I would hope the answer would still be hell no. :shock:

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:55 am 

I agree... a respec potion would actually be rather abusable since it would allow the players to just keep respecing into a build best suited for a boss (making a boss have a couple immunes almost meaningless).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:45 pm 
Game Server Host

Baerk wrote:
That respec potion specifically relies on a function that was newly coded in diablo 1.13. This mod is Diablo 1.10 and will never have diablo 1.13's new function codes unless someone figures out how to code edit them into diablo 1.10.

I've been working on backporting the 1.13 respec to 1.10 as a replacement quest reward for killing nihla for NR. Its the potion side of it I dont like, but you dont have to include that. I'm still not sure if 3 is too much though. Maybe have it be a reward for hell only, not sure yet. IDK how D2Mod loads plugins or I would do that so its easy to move from mod to mod. Maybe Dav92 who wrote the expres plugin can help me with tat though :).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:52 pm 

Well one time per difficulty quest rewards are one thing (the worst that could come of it would be the player respecing to the most overall OP build available to the class). Potions ala Median style has abuse potential however (especially when said class has a lot of attack elements available).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:56 am 
Site Admin

Pure I would say once per difficulty wouldn't be bad at all. But yah having "unlimited respec" is not a feature I'd ever want to see.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:45 pm 

If it were possible, I'd say make a once per char period. Say after killing hell Baal. Re-spec makes it far too easy to build the "Perfect char" don't want to see it. Once per difficulty isn't all that bad, but imo not really needed. As is now, you must take time to plan things out. Re-spec removes a lot of strategy to build a char.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:37 pm 

kwikster wrote:
If it were possible, I'd say make a once per char period. Say after killing hell Baal. Re-spec makes it far too easy to build the "Perfect char" don't want to see it. Once per difficulty isn't all that bad, but imo not really needed. As is now, you must take time to plan things out. Re-spec removes a lot of strategy to build a char.

Yeah this is true, however, how about making the respect off say nm baal? this give you the viability once you hit hell, if you honestly get stuck, and need to rethink your game plan, you don't need to start all over..

This keeps it from every difficulty, oh hey, respec! and also keeps it from ahh damn, cant do shit now because we didnt think of this etc etc

Lifes what you make it, so make it how you want to live it, if your life isnt what you wanted, then maybe you should change it.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:51 am 

twistedmoonz wrote:
This keeps it from every difficulty, oh hey, respec! and also keeps it from ahh damn, cant do shit now because we didnt think of this etc etc
Having one "mulligan" per char is reasonable. I've had to remake cuz I had a brain-fart before.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:39 am 

Anywhere from once to once per difficulty would be reasonable. More than that would not be.

Keep in mind a lot of rushing is motivated by a desire to get new characters to the endgame after old ones were nerfed. Having a limited respec = less rushing = good, yes?

Unlimited though would just be "oops, I'll respec my fire Druid to wind for 3rd Baal wave then switch back".

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:52 am 

I am honestly surprised by some of the older players' responses. This will just turn into build X til NM, build Y to hell, and one more for fuckups if it is done once per difficulty (assuming they don't all just make the newest cookie cutter crap). If people fooker their character up that badly, they should start over and learn how the hell to do it, rather than catering to those that have no clue. It's not like they won't be at least somewhat twinked on the second run.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:16 pm 

kramuti wrote:
I am honestly surprised by some of the older players' responses. This will just turn into build X til NM, build Y to hell, and one more for fuckups if it is done once per difficulty (assuming they don't all just make the newest cookie cutter crap). If people fooker their character up that badly, they should start over and learn how the hell to do it, rather than catering to those that have no clue. It's not like they won't be at least somewhat twinked on the second run.

And then the second time they get nerfed, reroll.

Yes, people should learn how to build their characters. Encouraging them to hell tundra express their inevitable rebuilds is not the way to do that. If anything, it just results in noobs in hell tundra.

Also this is HU. If we didn't invent the term Flavor of the Month (FotM) build, we were at least the first to apply it in a Diablo context. It's the nature of the game really. The time to character investment ratio is high enough that most everyone is going to stick to safe builds.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:13 pm 

I know i am responding to this forum late but i just recently heard of this mod and thought i'd put my two cents in about reskilling i can see why so many people are against it b/c then you would just build for every particular fight but at the same time you shouldn't have to start completely over again just b/c you want to try a different build so why not just find middle ground have a reskill feature but put it at the cost of exp something like you lose 2 or 3 levels the first time you reskill and have it accumulate each time after that.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:51 pm 

It's not possible, so there's no need in continuing the discussion.

Offline Profile