Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 am

Post subject: proposed shield runewords
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:11 pm 

Some of you may have not noticed, but Dragon was tweaked this season and is a rather powerful runeword. I recently equipped my meteor sorc with the shield runeword and I am fairly pleased with the results. Here is what it does:

Dragon (Sur Vex Sol)
+2 to All Skills
Resist All +25%
20% Chance to Cast Level 20 Hydra when Attacking
+300-400% Enhanced Defense
+500 Defense
5-10% Fire Absorb
+30% Increased Chance of Blocking
Level 12 Holy Fire Aura when Equipped
Adds 250-500 Fire Damage
+6% to Magic Skill Damage
+6% to Fire Skill Damage
Damage Reduced by 10

I am thinking we should make Cold/Lightning variants as well:

Woe (Sur Lo Sol)
+2 to All Skills
Resist All +25%
+500 Defense
5-10% Cold Absorb
Level 12 Holy Freeze Aura when Equipped
Adds 250-500 Cold Damage
+6% to Cold Skill Damage
Damage Reduced by 10

Daylight (Sur Ohm Sol)
+2 to All Skills
Resist All +25%
+500 Defense
5-10% Lightning Absorb
Level 12 Holy Shock Aura when Equipped
Adds 1-1000 Lightning Damage
+6% to Lightning Skill Damage
Damage Reduced by 10

Any thoughts/adjustments?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: proposed shield runewords
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:12 pm 

sounds like a good idea

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:41 pm 

Just put dragon on my Auradin and it's quite nice to have 50+ allres :) (made from pali shield obv)

I think the other shields are a great idea *thinks of builds...*

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:13 pm 

maybe a melee oriented shield as well, some might/conc/fana on equip lvl 1-5 rand perhaps , ctc/ amp lvl 5 / o skill /ctc fade lvl 5 /burst of speed lvl 5 /frozen armor on struck perhaps. if there is one i wasnt aware just an idea.

how big is the radius of lvl 12 auras and how much pierce is granted?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:32 pm 

blinky99 wrote:
maybe a melee oriented shield as well, some might/conc/fana

There are holy crafted shields - but I can see where you are going with this. Will give it some thought.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:33 pm 

Why no CtC spells on the Woe or Daylight?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:35 pm 

Trafalgar wrote:
Why no CtC spells on the Woe or Daylight?

didn't come up with any.
whatcha got in mind?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:36 pm 

blinky99 wrote:
how big is the radius of lvl 12 auras and how much pierce is granted?

Based on the spreadsheet Shantu put together that is on Blue's site, 12.6 yard radius, and all 3 auras are -20% pierce regardless of level.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:45 pm 

I didn't notice this one till now and find it sad. You nerf the hell out of many items of a similar level as this item for those who would be a tank. Yet, buff this one. IMO, goes against what this patch was about.
blue_myriddn wrote:
Overhaul of all game items with a focus on more power and more danger to keep the game thrilling
How does adding res and sorb to a caster item show this? Sure a pally can toss this on and gain serious res from a single item. Not to mention added skills. Goes against what you claimed to be doing with this patch. The changes to purity actually made sense with in the scope of this patch.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:18 pm 

4/3 socket shield RW "Sacred" for a name I dunno.
zod/cham/jah or zod/cham/jah/jah for a nice life bonus can be used in eth shields for nice def bonus, cham for CBF very useful for meele then just add an aura fana lvl 3-6 would be cool.

I dont know if decrep/ or amp would be better since lvl 5 amp is what ?% and decrep is 33% + slow + decreased damage taken.

Maybe high chance ctc shock wave on struck

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:30 pm 

Ya - Shantu's stuff is now out of date.

I looked it up in the txt files:

Paladin holy fire/shock/freeze: -10% res
Merc's use the same aura except for holy freeze, there is something called "MercFreeze" that doesn't seem to have a clear -resist effect. It is probably there though and I just can't see it. Or maybe it does the -20% and that is where the confusion between the auras being different has started.

Either way - the answer seems to be -10% resist

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:01 pm 

It seems weird that Dream can't be made in shields, but now introduce another way to get holy shock via a shield, and (arguably) better. I admit I did not see the reasoning for the former case in the first place.

One thing that I would say is that it is not necessarily a good thing to essentially give the builds of interest essentially exactly the same gear, in the same slots. To me, variance of where you get said aura is better. (example dream helm shield for shock, dragon shield+hoj weapon, etc is a more pleasing avenue of approach). I think the issue is that holy freeze is only from Doom...maybe i missed the 2nd freeze option.

edit: mistatement.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:07 pm 

blue_myriddn wrote:
didn't come up with any.
whatcha got in mind?
Thunderstorm CtC when struck 10% for Daylight
Glacial Spike CtC on attack 5% for Woe

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:05 am 

kramuti wrote:
It seems weird that Dream can't be made in shields, but now introduce another way to get holy shock via a shield, and (arguably) better. I admit I did not see the reasoning for the former case in the first place.

One thing that I would say is that it is not necessarily a good thing to essentially give the builds of interest essentially exactly the same gear, in the same slots. To me, variance of where you get said aura is better. (example dream helm shield for shock, dragon shield+hoj weapon, etc is a more pleasing avenue of approach). I think the issue is that holy freeze is only from Doom...maybe i missed the 2nd freeze option.

edit: mistatement.

i dont think it would be a problem with having dragon variants as they arent the same lvl on equip with others to get the added skill lvl affect with dream like it was when it worked on helm and shield.

EDIT: i noticed Doom runeword as lvl 12 holy freeze so maybe have the cold variant be 1+- so it doesnt combine to be lvl 24.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:30 am 

only prayer stack, no other aura does so shouldnt be a problem

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:33 am 

Seems like most casters would stick with hhg with 2 facets, It can give -12% +12% and also has a ton of mp/hp after kill. Paladins i doubt will pass up their unique shields. It doesn't seem like casters need another nice option in the shield department. Seems like some more options for tank/melee builds would be better in my opinion. I suppose you could argue that a tank could throw on the cold one for duriel, fire one for diablo etc.. but ward, or crafts or any socketed shield would be better then the 5-10% abs it gives. I also think fanatacism on a shield is a bad idea. Seems like an easily exploitable situation.

I'd look for something with perhaps some dr%, mdr+, dr+, fhr, abs maybe even a defiance aura or 0 skill iron skin.

Or a melee type with enhanced damage, ias, ar+, perhaps a blessed aim aura, or concentration aura.

I love the dragon runeword btw, i've made a handfull of them. All pretty much for a boost to battle orders from cta on switch though. A sur is much easier to obtain then an hhg.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:33 am 

Woe would be significantly stronger than the others due to the slow.

I'd like to see Zod runewords on helmets and shields.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:30 am 

Or maybe class specific runewords in druid helms and barb helms would be nice?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:02 am 

this isn't a thread to tell me what runewords to make, so please don't do that.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:03 am 

enhanced damage, ias and ar is covered by fanta...
mdr/pdr would have to be 50+ to be useful vs a boss or mobs in hell really
Dr%/ abs% can be easily obtained through ward, or stormshield, ward being really good with fade 3 sox etc

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:12 am 

Good thoughts Frank.
I agree that head hunters is an equally good choice to this shield - and likely superior if you have facets. That doesn't bother me or deter me in the least. I think it is great to introduce viable options for gear rather than a single path of items that players can memorize and follow through like zombies.

I was previously running a HHG with 2x uber diamonds for the whopping +70 res bonus, but switched over to this because it can break some immunities and that is really valuable. For example - when I go visit Hell Leo to take his lunch money, the fallen shamans are no longer fire immune and that makes my life SO much easier because I don't have little red imps every where annoying me.

I do worry a bit about fanat or other physical based auras on a shield other than might as they provide a really strong bonus and a shield like this can be put on any merc.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:23 pm 

well you can have fanta on a a1 merc faith, or a2 merc with that jav runeword, or pride for a 2, and they dont stack so what would be the problem. A2 also already has a higher lvl of might than the shield provides from crafted. and beast grants fanta as well or the other wep that transforms into werewolf. hell u can put that on a3 merc as well i think

look at the runes i choose. a shield with them should grant some nice bonuses.

only merc you would put this on may be a2 or 5, but they can get fanta already from a weapon RW. shields also really limit their damage i think.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:04 pm 

lets look at this runeword dragon. A low str requirement shield with 300%-400% ed +500 def, increased fire skill dmg, an aura that breaks some immunes and lowers enemy resist, 2 all skills, absorbs, all res, ctc spells. It takes a sur as the highest rune.

I don't get why the defense was taken off of hhg, griffon's eye, templars but then a shield like this gets 300%-400% ed and +500 def.

If a cold version of this is made and a light then people will slap these on sorces mostly for the extra absorbs and def for bosses and use hhg through the trash. I dunno i feel like ele/poison builds are already so much better the purely physical and oh here we go another nice boost to them. Melee and tanks are the ones that need absorbs because they're the ones that either have to stand in the ton of counters they're causing or stand in the counters others are causing. not the ranged spell casters that can dodge most of the counters coming at them. And here is a shield that not only gives the skills, increased skill damage, - enemy res, an aura that breaks immunes, it also has a ton of defense and abs thrown on the end and requires very little strength. yep, that is my opinion.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:09 pm 

hflame and verb.

though I did think of aura stacking on my last post, my real point is the lack of variance between builds. I personally do not like the idea of shields for each aura. There should be some diversity, not homogeneity, in itemized build construction.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:58 pm 

kramuti wrote:
It seems weird that Dream can't be made in shields,

If it weren't for the aura stacking bug, it probably would have been left in there.

You raise some good points though - thanks!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:09 am 

Frank wrote:
comments

Some good thoughts. I agree the defense stuff is a bit much. Here's how that shield came to be. After +2 skills was taken off of the Spirit runeword, there has been grumblings about the lack of a good +2 skills shield runeword. So I ran through the runewords and took a look at Dragon which used to be:

Dragon 1.21z (Sur Lo Sol) - make in armor or shield
20% Chance to Cast Level 20 Venom when Struck
+500 Defense
+250 Defense vs. Missiles
+(53-75) to Strength (Based on Character Level)
-6% to Enemy Magic Resistance (In Armor)
-6% to Enemy Cold Resistance (In Armor)
Damage Reduced by 10 (In Armor)
+6% to Magic Skill Damage (In Shields)
+6% to Cold Skill Damage (In Shields)
Damage Reduced by 10 (In Shields)

I removed the ability to toss it in Armor, since there were already +2 armor options with better mods. Tossed the strength boost and was left with this:

20% Chance to Cast Level 20 Venom when Struck
+500 Defense
+250 Defense vs. Missiles
+6% to Magic Skill Damage (In Shields)
+6% to Cold Skill Damage (In Shields)
Damage Reduced by 10 (In Shields)

You can only have 8 mods, so i decided to ditch some of what was on there so that I could put +2 skills and some resist all. Venom was the obvious one to go, but I thought I would leave the hydra on for the "dragon" theme. I swapped out the Lo for a Vex to get 6% fire, and then gave it some variable absorb as well. I figured that people with a Sur handy, could easily socket up a shield with rubies if they wanted absorb, but perhaps the 5-10% is too much.

I look at this shield as being offense oriented rather than defense oriented. +25% res all on a shield isn't a whole lot and is easily beat by most other uniques with a diamond socket, so this shield was designed to push casters in to a glass cannon/team position rather than being able to absorb tons of damage.

That being said, resists may still be a bit too easy for casters to come by, dunno. At least this season the resists aren't stacked like they were last season so that even when bosses cast LR, there was still very little to fear.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:12 am 

Sorry wasnt trying to hijack. Is there a way to make it so the type of aura you get is random? Like make it have variable stats that match the aura you get but have it roll between 1 of 4 different ones? If the shield was decent enough it might open up a whole new trade market not just for runes but already made shields.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:42 am 

lets get back to meele shields, casters have lots of good options lol the mods on HHG are just to good end game.

mid game if you get a sur dragons great for fire, and the ice/light would also be great to have as mid game options.

What do meele need aside from being able to do damage to bosses/trash?
absorb? defense boost?DR% MDR/PDR flat - enemy defense abilities, ias/speed boosts

Ward is the obvious choice for sorbs with 21% max for a single element, easily switchable per boss with some gems and a hammer to clean. Or even a 4 socketed crafted holy shield for might/sorbs or even a saphire shield for CtC lvl 12FA/sorbs

So ive posted my ideas about meele shields, what are some other peoples ideas or why are mine no good? what do i need to modify?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:31 pm 

by the way, the ctc hydra does NOT appear on my dragon

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:36 pm 

slappyNuts wrote:
by the way, the ctc hydra does NOT appear on my dragon

i guess that got tossed to make room for another mod and I just didn't update the site.

thx for the heads up.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:04 am 

bump for melee shield discussion

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:28 am 

Melee shields! craft a saftey shield and stick 4 skulls in there! lol. I agree that melee oriented shields need to have a chance at development! something with the basics! IAS, openwounds/pmh, res, block rate. Simple stuff.

I think lifetap should be taken off exile as well... zealers imo should count on dracs after patch is made to balance phys dmg. It'd open up versatility in the shield use and wouldn't conflict with other curses. A high number of pallys count on melee combat skills, not just fanatadins.

and i really though you guys could develop a crazy zod rune word for characters, but taking into account pally shields could have 45 res all really makes a difference lol... maybe pally shields should be taken down a notch? 30-35 max?

its 3:30 am and i should bbe doing homework, if i dont make sense leave me alone

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:28 am 

I wouldnt mind a high level shield aimed at 1h berserk barbs and impale zons. Something focused around high block/fbr/dr but with relatively low ed and res. Maybe add something like ias or slow target for fun.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:24 am 
Game Server Host

May aswell just throw ideas out. These kinda thrads would be cool if everypost required a single suggested runeword before the actual post. :)

Code:
Constantine's Banner
Jah, Zod, Ber, Um

30% increased block
400-500% enhanced defense
7-10% cold absorb
7-10% fire absorb
7-10% lightning absorb
22 all resist
100 hp/mana
10% damage resist
Indestructible

Something for melees that could be comparible to ward for example would be nice. Remember ward has 3 sockets so this kinda offsets the loss of sockets with slightly higher absorb% etc.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:27 am 

the only problem with a ward runeword replaceable is that it removes the need for strength to get those benefits. Without making it some how melee specific, that just opens up strong defense for low strength casters.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:33 am 
Game Server Host

the ed% isn't so bad a tradeoff since higher str shields have higher base def. Theres no skills on it, or fcr/mana per kill/ hp per kill etc.

The enhanced def is just to keep it in line as more of a melee shield. The def could be reduced to whatever seems appropriate

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:52 am 

zod/cham/ber/ber or zod/cham//jah/jah or zod/cham/ber/jah

Not saying all of these have to be on it but these are good ideas and should have some
One of the auras on equip lvl 4-7 conc/fanta
ctc amp or decrep on strike 10% lvl 5
ctc burst of speed lvl 5 on struck 10%
30% faster block
30% FHR
30% incr block
10-20 res all
charges of SOB or HoW
15% ctc lvl 10 shockwave on struck
10% life or mana leech in hell this is like 2% btw
and go from there

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:32 pm 

some interesting ideas there blinky99

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:10 pm 

blue_myriddn wrote:
the only problem with a ward runeword replaceable is that it removes the need for strength to get those benefits. Without making it some how melee specific, that just opens up strong defense for low strength casters.

At the loss of +2 skills, FCR, MPK, LPK and better block, Pierce/Skill damage, or better Resists.
No well-geared caster would use that over HHG, even ones that get into melee range to do their damage. You'd be better off using a dual Amethyst'd HHG for much better block and the ability to hit an actual good blocking speed (his RW has no FBR, meaning your blocking will be slow as horse shit)
It's a non-issue.

PureRage-DoD wrote:
Code:
Constantine's Banner
Jah, Zod, Ber, Um

30% increased block
7-10% cold absorb
7-10% fire absorb
7-10% lightning absorb
22 all resist
100 hp/mana
10% damage resist
Indestructible

Something for melees that could be comparible to ward for example would be nice. Remember ward has 3 sockets so this kinda offsets the loss of sockets with slightly higher absorb% etc.

The only problem I have with this RW is that its arguably not better than Ward. Wards are fairly common, and I don't see Zod/Ber/Jah being worth it for that minuscule of an upgrade. Though I do like the idea of a tank RW Zod shield.
What I'd personally change to make it more appealing:
Flat 10% absorb across the board. Nothing is worse than spending Zod/Ber/Jah and getting the lowest variables possible. It also gives it a decent gap between Ward's unsocketed absorbs.
+100% Faster Block Rate. Dragonscale has it, on a class that only needs 86 FBR to hit the fastest block in the game, half of which is given by Holy Shield. 100% allows almost every class that uses the shield to have decent block speed. 86% gives most classes one away from the best block speed available.
Increase Block Rate to 50% Ward has 40% unsocketed, and can hit 100% if socketed. Basically just trying to find a middle ground between the two without being too low or too high for the cost.
Resists to 40% Again using Ward as an example, its CTC Fade + 30-40% Resist all outclasses even 40-50% resist.
Level 10 Defiance on Equip Gives it something unique compared to Ward, and I think Zod RW's should always bring something unique to the table. Can really be replaced by anything defensive in nature, like ctc FA, Oskill Iron Skin, etc. etc.

Course, those numbers may be too high for some, but it gives you an actual reason to use it over Ward, considering it would be much harder to obtain. Ward would still be king of resists (and single absorbs), and also retains its niche of providing Curse Immunity should you go that route.
If the runes were lower in cost (~Ber level) I could see the shield remaining as is, but for a Zod Runeword, I think it should clearly outclass its unique counterpart in some areas.

Might drum up an offensively orientated Zod RW and see what you people think. Enjoying seeing these, so post some more!

Last edited by Abominae on Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:15 pm 

Constantine's Banner
Jah, Zod, Ber, Um

30% increased block
7-10% cold absorb
7-10% fire absorb
7-10% lightning absorb
22 all resist
100 hp/mana
10% damage resist
Indestructible

fails, no one would use it over ward, for the cost of those runes
even ward with 3x hels, or 3x nice 10% req jewels is better, ed ias life res all high single res jewls etc

dont give meele shields defiance they have enough defense, u can craft a ring to give ctc lvl 12 FA, shout etc, or a merc with defiance amulet etc

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:25 pm 

blinky99 wrote:
dont give meele shields defiance they have enough defense, u can craft a ring to give ctc lvl 12 FA, shout etc, or a merc with defiance amulet etc

Mercs instantly die versus any boss worth his salt.
Frozen Armor ring jews you out of ~250 life and a decent chunk of strength, as well as LL for trash/sub-bosses.
Shouts ED is less than 1/2 of Defiance's given an equal level.

If you have any other suggestion of something to replace it, I'd be happy to hear it.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:31 pm 

Offensive auras on a shield? Sorry that's just wrong

Quote:
Zerkers/impale zons like Draped said, would actually need something to block all attacks/reduce damage taken as defence is 0. Due to very punishing block formula you can't have 75% block, 200 str and good hp. More IBR to match Paladin's holy shield or + Dex/Lvl(well since its a zod rw maybe just flat dex)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:20 pm 

well since defense = 0 when using berserk defiance wont do anything to increase it 0 x 150% still = 0 lol

impale doesnt say anything about reducing defense in the skill description just "leaves you open to an attack" wtf does that even mean? i dont use the skill so i dont know what happens to defense/block

and i did suggest 30% faster block 30% increased block chance, but for increase block to do anything you need at least 50-100 dex for it to really go up at all.

30% increase block [spirit ward] rate on a 94 dex barb increase block rate by 4 %!! @ lvl 99 [prior shield had 18% increase block rate}

170dex and 33% increase block rate on my 99 zon still yields 58% block only
just to throw out some numbers on IBR

put on FA ring wait till it procs, take it off and replace with another ring, prob solved, thats what i do with my barb.

dex/lvl is a good idea one per level at least
or put mass mdr/pdr on it like 60-100 or something

why not offensive aura on shields holy crafts get them anyway

if you go zod/cham jah jah you get 200 life/mana any way

thats lame i thought bers in shields give DR% so much for that idea

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:06 pm 

doom + woe = possible arua stack glitch?

dream + xxx ?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:15 pm 

for doom + woe, thats why i suggested to change the aura lvl by 1 so it doesnt do that.

Offline Profile