Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:39 am

Post subject: Sanctuary Paladin: Magic Zealer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:49 am 

Novelty indeed, but I'd still like to see it through!

20 Sanctuary (Done)
20 Conversion (Done)
20 Conviction
20 Salvation (maybe...)
20 Zeal
Prerequisites pretty much take the rest.

Still unsure of items!! I'll take any suggestions!

What I have in my head so far: (of course IF I ever get to end game)
Heaven's Will
Topaz Crafted Pally shield (res mod hopefully) +4 skulls OR Dscale+3 skulls
Crafted blood diadem for DR (open to suggestions)
Immortal Flesh (open to suggestions)

Haven't though much into much else, Just wanted to wing it, but I like the "Undead can't touch me" feel.

Give me all the suggestions to gear you can!!!
Thanks,
Rebel

Last edited by Rebel on Tue May 10, 2011 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Sanctuary Paladin!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:54 am 

OH, i heard a rumor that decrep works with magic damage. True or false?\

ADD: Does the +damage% vs undead/demons work for the added magic dmg from sanctuary? I guess not huh... I would be doing (2.7k to 4k)x8=21k-32k on all demons and undead rofl. That's most certainly NOT happening.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:25 pm 

I can't help you much when it comes to gear, because my highest level character, 56-ish, Sanctuary Paladin, doesn't have a whole lot.

But from what I can tell you so far in my experiences with this build, against Demons and Undead, it's a kick ass build, and very very fun!...... when you fight those types of monsters :D

For the unmentioned monster types, you do crap damage, and rely solely on the Magic Damage, which at level 56, is nice, but can still see some difficulty in killing. You definitely want Zeal maxed in order to have some leach.

I'd recommend you pick either Conviction or Salvation. I went with Salvation because it's helped out my party members stay alive during Act boss fights, or when elemental damage is insane.

I find that to lead me to more of a defensive style of build. If you go for max Holy Shield, you can be an off tank with Salvation aura on. There have been moments where I've semi-tanked bosses by simply switching back and forth between Sanctuary & Salvation.

I will say, in areas where it's heavy in Demons and Undead *coughact4cough*, Sanctuary aura makes you feel like an uber killing machine, especially when you can take out those annoying Glooms and Specters from off the screen :)

Again, this is my experience from level 56, normal mode. I haven't dipped into Nightmare or Hell mode in this patch, so my future insight is limited.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:27 pm 

Anyone else? I really need the advice. I just made it to nightmare and gotta say its tough to even damage things. right now I'm running just under 4-5k damage...

It's tough, but progressing.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:59 am 

Interesting build. Things you may want to add in are:

1. Holy crafted shield. It gets the might aura to give you some %ED against non-undead/demons. With 4 sockets and a decent roll, you should be able to build up a nice source of resists. All holy items come with a dmg boost against undead/demons so it should fit nicely in to your theme.

2. similar story with holy craft gloves, except you get an attack rating boost

3. conversion is the friend of all paladins and is a great way to keep the heat off when attacking mobs. put 1pt in it if you haven't already and use it liberally.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:13 am 

In vanilla the %dmg to undead/demons didnt work properly, not sure if it was fixed for HU (I think in vanilla it was applied to enemies under the influence of the sanctuary aura instead). Anyway, the additional %dmg to undead/demons should work only for weapon damage.

So basically you have the magic dmg applied on striking, magic dmg applied through aura to undead, pushback effect to undead, and ignore phys res of undead.

At the least you should stack up on -enemy magic res, by using diamonds and maybe even sur runes if you dont mind sacrificing some dr/life. Gris caddy would be a good weapon choice, actually the complete gris set would be pretty decent. Diamond crafted weapon with max sockets filled with diamonds would be nice until you can use gris caddy. Also, immortal flesh, souldrain, caster crafted boots, 2xwisp, zakarum/seraphs.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:19 am 

I'd use a bow with 4x diamonds and these +multishot gloves. :P

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:42 am 

what about a crafted weapon with a redemption aura? if you look around you could prob get plus to skills on it too if you're patient.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:03 pm 

blue_myriddn wrote:
Interesting build. Things you may want to add in are:

1. Holy crafted shield. It gets the might aura to give you some %ED against non-undead/demons. With 4 sockets and a decent roll, you should be able to build up a nice source of resists. All holy items come with a dmg boost against undead/demons so it should fit nicely in to your theme.

2. similar story with holy craft gloves, except you get an attack rating boost

3. conversion is the friend of all paladins and is a great way to keep the heat off when attacking mobs. put 1pt in it if you haven't already and use it liberally.

1. I went pure magic damage... running close to 9k right about now, but I see where you're going with the ED% vs demon/undead. Creating a demon/undead specific physical/magic build not be a bad idea.

2. I am trying to get lvl 70 to use Holy Craft gloves i made... It's literally gonig to be my main source of AR lol...

3. I maxed it! It's the 20% synergy to Sanctuary.

Dont forget that i still have an Azure Wrath for you!

Quote:
I'd use a bow with 4x diamonds and these +multishot gloves. :P

Smart! lol. I'm trying to figure out what type of merc to get... a2 or a5, having a tank that constantly casts decrep (via lawbringer/saracen's/holytears) is a life saving and extraordinarily efficient way to incorporate a merc. Having a MS setup on switch might be useful in places like Cleft where sanc pulse doesnt work.

Quote:
In vanilla the %dmg to undead/demons didnt work properly, not sure if it was fixed for HU (I think in vanilla it was applied to enemies under the influence of the sanctuary aura instead). Anyway, the additional %dmg to undead/demons should work only for weapon damage.

Didn't know that, but I was going for Pure Magic Zeal anyways. I loathe being susceptible to IM lol.

Quote:
At the least you should stack up on -enemy magic res, by using diamonds and maybe even sur runes if you dont mind sacrificing some dr/life. Gris caddy would be a good weapon choice, actually the complete gris set would be pretty decent. Diamond crafted weapon with max sockets filled with diamonds would be nice until you can use gris caddy. Also, immortal flesh, souldrain, caster crafted boots, 2xwisp, zakarum/seraphs.

I was thinking Endgame wise that I use a +3 sanc/zeal Heaven's Will, until then i can use rune words like HotO in a 3 sanc scepter. Though I have yet to find a scepter... Dscale +facets, wisps I don't have, but looks nice. Immortal flesh is a yes. Souldrains... i love the +2 skills, but thats it. I think i might have to stick with holy gloves for the massive ar boost. The ar makes me viable lol...
[quote][quote]

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:06 pm 

Hmmm i knew this build would be underpowered, but i thought that the fact that I have -res and its magic damage would near compensate for that. In a3 nm with -25mres running 6-8k magic zeal with a 5 frame attack and I still have trouble killing stuff. I though most monsters have really low magic res if any at all?i should be running around 10k-13k at lvl 95 with massive procs, but thats still not much lol. I mean having a 10k pulse is very very nice, but I can't see myself even getting to lvl 95 with this damage lol.

but the -res is HUGE and I hope will make the difference that I need from lack of +magic skill dmg. It's SERIOUSLY lacking, and should be made more available for melees imo.

-20 Sanctuary + -25 Heaven's Will + -20 x2 Wisp Projectors + -7 Templars + -18 dscale + -66 Facets(4xArmor,4xCrafted helm,3x Dscale)= -114 magic res

I have 2/11 perfect facets lol... Long way to go. I might HAVE to go tank gear... Uber diamond the helm and skull the dscale... then just facet the templars... That'll bring me down to -66 res total...

im hoping to craft a 3 offensive auras helm... either blood for dr or caster for the +1 skill... +4 sanctuary would increase my damage by around 1.1-1.5k.... really cruddy for +4 skills. This pally needs a Buff next ladder for sure lol. Its nice to be able to kill a few undead, but geez.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:01 am 

what weapon are you using? Try to craft death scepter for max ias and socket it with diamonds. MS give you -10%mres right?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:00 pm 

yeah, i really dont wanna try to farm skulls and try to get a sanctuary scepter lol. But i will as soon as i get bored enough. My + skills have been dropping recently for tanking skills, I'm down to 5-8k dmg instead of 9k lol.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Sanctuary Paladin: Magic Zealer
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:57 am 

Update!

In hell thanks to Cookie and qucangel. Many thanks.

I'm debating whether to make a A2 slow merc or keep a3 cold for the bit of slow, but massive AoE damage. Right now i just have a Wonder on him. Nothing good really... I need to update his gear so he can take a few hits.

What is proper gear for a level 90 A3 cold merc. I just sold my +3 blizz staff so dont say Time rw lol. I don't have anymore zods anyways.

Looking for P magic templars with that i'll have 100+ minus magic res and either 2k more damamge(4 Sur runes) OR i might go 1 Pteeth facet & 1 Pbonespear facet(just to look cool)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:00 am 

The damage is REALLY low when running with a group, so I usually end up running convict or something. The pic is with CtA~~~)> BC/BO and level 12 Oak from wisp. Only 2.2k base life =/ It's really tough staying alive lol.

EDIT: The FoH + Zeal looks badass and the FoH does 2-3k extra damage.

Currently spreading remaining points between:
Salvation, for extra magic damage.
Zeal, for the AR boost
and Holy Shield, for as much block rate i can get lol.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:02 am 

Just a thought - run the extra points into synergies for foh since level 40 is relatively respectable and synergies if I'm not mistaken will add a decent chunk of damage to it.

Also, probably should of held out for a caduceus or divine/war since they're considerable faster than rune.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:42 am 

With that kind of weapon you're completely wasting that +1100%ed to demons/undeads as it only works with phys damage. For trash bow would be better, honestly, heaven's will isn't for that build, no ias, no ed%, only some fcr and 25%mag res which is 2uber diamonds in a craft. Grab that eth shadow bow uniq but it only has 1 sock or eth widowmaker - it's not updated on web but now it has 4 sockets - along with +1 into strafe oskill. You have only 95 dex so I suggest getting Crow Caw armor and sock it with dex gems - armor has 20ias, 20 all res, 4 sockets, etc. I use it on my bowa and eth always cut str/dex req by 10 so you'll need 170dex. For bosses use zeal/smite. Eh worth checking. I'll craft some low level stuff and try him.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:54 am 
Game Server Host

you are better using a high damage weapon as steel says. even gris caddy with 4 uber diamonds and an ether stone will be better.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:30 pm 

I know guys. There are 3 ways you can go with this build: Pure Magic, Pure Physical, and of course the hybrid. I wanted to go pure magic. I'm actually running a pure phys right now lol. But they hybrid is the one you guys are talking about is the build with hthe most potential.

High magic damage pulse for getting rid of undead and high physical damage for everything else.

I'm having fun with this character anyways. So if you guys like to run your respective builds, i'd ask you to make a thread cause I'd love to see the difference between them. I love me my underdog builds haha. You guys are people who make underdog builds viable. I make underdog builds for lolz.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:35 pm 

Rebel wrote:

I hear ya, I loved how that looked when I tested heaven's will

Try out Principle armor (Ral Gul Eld):
+2 to Paladin Skill Levels
+200-250% Enhanced Defense
+10-30% Increased Attack Speed
+10-30% Faster Cast Rate
100% Chance to Cast Level 20 Holy Bolt when Attacking
+100-200 to Life
+100-200% Damage to Undead
Fire Resist +12%
-6% to Enemy Poison Resistance
25% Slower Stamina Drain
+50% Damage to Undead

The holy bolt has a similar "cool" factor when you are hitting crap.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:37 pm 

Angel wrote:
Just a thought - run the extra points into synergies for foh since level 40 is relatively respectable and synergies if I'm not mistaken will add a decent chunk of damage to it.

Also, probably should of held out for a caduceus or divine/war since they're considerable faster than rune.

I thought of the idea with the synergies, but really wanted more pulse damage to be honest. So i'll stick with salvation for now. And I got impatient waiting for the faster weapon. +3 salvation was hard enough to find =P.

PureRage-DoD wrote:
you are better using a high damage weapon as steel says. even gris caddy with 4 uber diamonds and an ether stone will be better.

Yeah I just got lazy and didn't want to have to rely on str for a pure magic build.

Last edited by Rebel on Tue May 10, 2011 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:40 pm 

blue_myriddn wrote:
Rebel wrote:

I hear ya, I loved how that looked when I put it on heaven's will

Try out Principle armor (Ral Gul Eld):
+2 to Paladin Skill Levels
+200-250% Enhanced Defense
+10-30% Increased Attack Speed
+10-30% Faster Cast Rate
100% Chance to Cast Level 20 Holy Bolt when Attacking
+100-200 to Life
+100-200% Damage to Undead
Fire Resist +12%
-6% to Enemy Poison Resistance
25% Slower Stamina Drain
+50% Damage to Undead

The holy bolt has a similar "cool" factor when you are hitting crap.

I'm actually running a Guardian Angel with a IAS jewel in it lol. Horrible defense, but the +4 to sanctuary adds like 2.5k magic damage to pulse/attack.

Will that holybolt synergize with FoH? i dont think so huh?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:07 pm 

I'd slap on a templars, more pierce/defense/sockets to play around with, and only -1 to sanct.

The CTC holy bolt will not synergize, hardpoints into foh's damage skill will though.

Heaven's will has 50% ias.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:46 pm 

Yep. I just need level 95 and a Magic Templars.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:02 am 
Game Server Host

use war over templars. you deal 0 damage while you are dead.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:23 pm 

This isn't hardcore, don't bother with a war, templars is going to be a good 30% of your damage due to the sockets.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:46 pm 
Game Server Host

whatever he said is likely wrong, unless it's "war is probs best for tankage"

war should double your hp easily. like I said, the time it takes to run back and get your body could be spent dealing damage. He only plays ranged builds iirc so i wouldn't read too much into what he says about a build that needs to get into melee range. You won't be leeching much so you want to get your life/dr% as high as possible. Templars is a caster armor, not suited to melee combat.

CBF, inc stamina, dr% and very high def + higher res = win

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:21 pm 

War is certainly smokin for a life buff, but it does coat a zod and you are losing +2 skills compared to templars which kind of hurts his skill intensive build.

A decent middle ground is Arkraine's Valor. Since he already has 150ish str, its not a big jump to hit that 164 req. It has monster defense (2k+) which works great for a paladin, has +2 skills (so you lose only -2 sanctuary, but gain +1 to everything else including your BO from CTA if you have it), -10% magic resist , a nice vit boost and 2 open sockets. I'd prolly chuck rubies in there or something similar for safety reasons, but you could go magic facets.

Besides, running around casting mind blast is fun!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:23 pm 

Use temps, your not a traditional melee build and your damage needs to be pushed up as high as it can go - regardless of your health. A wisp you should be running will give you oak anyways, so you'll have around 8-9k health.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:33 am 

Yeah I just wanted temps to reach my max zeal damage which is 16k. 4 sur runes 1k-2k magic damage and -32 additional magic res SOUNDS nice lol. but lvl 12 oak dies instantly in hell and replacing charges is a tedious task indeed.

Angel said as use templars since its softcore and i should get my damage pushed to its limits. I just loathe losing chunks of damage and -res off builds lol, but i'd love a war if i could afford one. I just gave away my perf psn templar to cookie. He rushed me through hell, I can't very well ask for a zod as well. lol

But heck I play this game for fun, I'll see what i can do =D thanks for tthe responses. You rich people shoould try making one too, It's not too bad a build in my opinion. Its really nice not having to fight undead.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:14 am 
Game Server Host

Quote:
Angel said as use templars since its softcore and i should get my damage pushed to its limits.

don't listen to the ramblings of such a bad player ;)

oak from wisp is great but using it on a melee will usually mean it get's popped fast against bosses. oak from wisp is more effective on a caster than on a melee. You are actually better using a carrion on trash for the carrion vine, it makes up for the lack of leech if you are struggling to survive.

My sanc zealers usually have 2 setups, 1 with mag damage and high pierce and another with high physical damage weapon and lots of + life gear and dr%.

Try a safety craft armor with 4 celestial spheres in if you need some survivability. It'll help alot pre war and is alot cheaper.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:57 am 

Yeah bro, use useless armor over a templars.

Offline Profile