Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 am

Post subject: Hell Unleashed for a LAN Party
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:16 pm 

Some friends of mine and myself were planning a small LAN over the Easter long weekend and we were digging around to find something to play. I came across Hell Unleashed and it looked great. I downloaded and installed it. Everything is good, but the lack of town portal scrolls is going to keep us from playing it. I was wondering if it's possible to install the Solo version, which has the town portal scrolls and play that version over TCP/IP?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Hell Unleashed for a LAN Party
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:26 pm 

man if you're at a LAN party that is the perfect set up for NOT needing tps... wps are your best friend :)

and there are red portals at certain places, just no scrolls. Save and exit is the quickest way to town normally

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:34 pm 

I wanted to playthrough just to Blood Raven to try it out. Had to run back to town 3 times before even getting to her for health potions. That was without filling my backpack though, just the 16 in belt and picking up every single one that dropped. I finally got to her and needed more. That's when I saved and exited and came here. None of my friends will go for that. Even if being with a party cuts those trips in half, once is too much of a waste of time to run all the way back. Heck, clearing out the Den of Evil and having to walk back was a waste of time which could be better spent progressing through the game.

[Edit] Keep in mind, I am not saying the MOD sucks because of this. I actually understand why they were removed. I am just saying for my friends and I playing over a long weekend, it is just not going to work for us. Hence the question about the Solo version over TCP/IP.

Last edited by Aspectwolf on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:40 pm 

it makes you play smarter, you just need to get used to it.

first of all, playing by yourself sucks. If you have a decent team (4 or more people) then you shouldn't have to run back to town for pots at all for doing something like den of evil or blood raven. I ALWAYS bring my cube in my inv, and I notice most players do. Pot bombs are popular for big boss fights. One is usually enough. Fill the whole cube up with pots and drop it in the boss area. It's like magic.

And why run back to town after den of evil? Just go to Cold Plain wp... see what I mean by playing smart? :P

Get some dr/mdr and life regen and you will need less pots! Then, have one of your buddies play a wc barb and find pot/item all the corpses and u will have juvs coming out your ears.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:50 pm 

slappyNuts wrote:
And why run back to town after den of evil? Just go to Cold Plain wp... see what I mean by playing smart? :P.

Heh. You got me there. Like I said in my above edit, I understand it and later in the game with life leech and healing, etc it will probably matter even less.

I am just positive my friends will remove the game as a viable option for us. I already got booed when I mentioned re-installing Diablo and playing a MOD as we have played the shit out of it over the years.

I just really need to know about the solo edition thing, else I'll have to download it and try it.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:57 pm 

Aspectwolf wrote:
I was wondering if it's possible to install the Solo version, which has the town portal scrolls and play that version over TCP/IP?

yep - you can.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:10 pm 

Awesome. Thank you.
I now have a fighting chance of getting them to play.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:32 am 

When you're actually playing through the game you'll hardly even notice a difference in lack of TPs. The only time it gets annoying is when completing a quest where you get no tp to go home. This can be remedied by simply rejoining the game.

I guess if you're bad and die a lot you'd have to run a lot farther than in LoD, but, this game is pretty easy with the exception of a select few fights.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:33 pm 

it should also be noted that the minor pots you can buy in a1 norm are the worst and most useless potions in the game. it gets much better when you can purchase larger potions that actually heal you. Also as everyone has already said you hardly notice it. If you are chugging reds its likely because you are under lvled or undergeared.

Offline Profile