Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:07 am

Post subject: chain lightning
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:21 am 
Game Server Host

could we maybe get some items designed around the chain light sorc build?

By tht I mean, something that makes the spell worthwhile against bosses. a couple of items with an oskill summon (ignored by enemys) that lasts for 10 secs. the summon should be a stationary lightning spire from act 2, idle, and hostiletothe player. It gives the sorc something to bounce her lightning off while fighting bosses.

It's not a major change to the build, just building on the strengths the build has and removing the fundmental flaw (IMO) in the skill

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: chain lightning
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:30 am 

would the counters from light bounces fly towards the spire?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:47 am 
Game Server Host

no, towards the caster

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:57 am 

this is designed to avoid a next hit delay? Or what is the rationale? Just trying to understand.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:17 pm 
Game Server Host

its because you get no bounce at all against act bosses and the damage is designed around getting a bounce. If you fire at an enemy and get no bounce the damage is really bad. This way you have a skill that is in between lightning and charged bolt for bosses. CB = high counters and damage, chain light = mid damage and counters, lightning = slightly higher damage with minimal counters.

It'smore togive the skillause against act bosses. It's already held back enough by the stupid sequence it uses instead ofcast rate so you cant cast as fast as normal sorc spells.

I think thats the main reason it's one of the least played sorceress builds.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:26 pm 

i was curious about the next hit delay, isnt there one? like is each bounce going to deal it damage or is nhd going to be an issue? im not exactly sure how nhd works so forgive my ignorance.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:37 pm 
Game Server Host

it stops another hit being done for 4 frames with a 4 frame next hit delay. It's abit of acock of amechanic though since it also stops damage fro other skills with a next hit delay from doing damage in that same 4 frames.

Ie. bnet shockweb had a 25 frame next hit delay. throw a set of those at a boss when teamed with a strafezon or something and the strafezon can't do damage. Stupid mechanic, they should have coded it to effect the spell only imo.

it's just used to prevent massive damage stacking. I'd say on average vs a movingboss you could get a bounce to hit every 10-12 frames. amoving boss makes it alotharder since once it's started it'sbounce, if the boss moves, the bolt misses and the bounce chain is ended anyway.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:17 pm 

There's a heavy unbalance TK vs CL sorcs toward the first because of nature of charged bolts.
Maxing tk, cb, es now is better than chain as CB clears area really fast AND you perform very well vs bosses with very steady TK. CL allows you to clear trash from like 0.5 more screen away but that's all. Killing speed is about the same as CB.

How about redoing "lightning" skill? more steady damage but lower range than it's now. Whole idea of bouncing is just to provide "less cast, more tele" but is this really an issue?

BTW. CLightning and Lightning skills use different(slower, much) casting animations than any other sorcs skills including CB... 194 FCR (max) for CL is just like 20fcr for any non CL/L skills - 11frames. CB/TK/Fireball etc can hit easily 8frames or 7 frames with more effort.
Quote:
Ie. bnet shockweb had a 25 frame next hit delay. throw a set of those at a boss when teamed with a strafezon or something and the strafezon can't do damage. Stupid mechanic, they should have coded it to effect the spell only imo.
/hate nextdelay ;/
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/6154/trapv.jpg - that's why I love lightning traps more. I got these boots for just BRC, 1-26k dmg @87lvl.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:09 pm 

:o

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:27 pm 
Game Server Host

holy shit @those boots, sweet roll.

The cast rate for lightning and chain lightning is a "sequence", like smite is a sequence etc. you can easily "fix"it by changing the SQ for to SC (sequence to cast animation).

Lightning is an ok skill, it's justfar far outclassed by any spell that uses the actual casting animation.

Increasing the cast rate on those skills stillwont allow it toreach the same damage potential as stuff like charged bolt etc due to the hit delay, but it will improve it a bit.

Note: just made a lightning spire hostile summon to test it. It worked great except the monster summoned left its base when it died (ugly). another animation would have to be used or someone who has edited the .cof files extensively would have to help out with that (havent tried it myself).

Could always extract the whole animation as a .gif and change it to asingle part monster so the base dies actually. That would be the easiest way.
I don't think you can make it bounce off walls without serious bugs (collide kill columns boolian could be turned off but it would create extra chains I think).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:10 pm 

wouldnt it cause summons to attack it aswell? or would the spire be unattackable by summons and aoe things like ww?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:24 pm 
Game Server Host

You can make pets ignore it iirc, i've made a boss like that before

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:42 pm 

icon of evil is not being targeted by merc unless you tele with them on it's "face". There are few trigers that control agro of monsters(merc/summons/evil monsters etc), so it should be ok if they're set right.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:44 am 

would changing chain lightning to act like lightning fury be a bad idea?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:51 am 

chain nova would be cool, initial its a lightning bolt that hits target A and sets off a nova, nova A sets off a nova to hit other monsters etc.more points set off more novas/dmg etc. just an idea

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:46 pm 

I'd like to see a Lightning version of Inferno and Arctic Blast. I read Shantu or someone not long ago saying to work around the Inferno/Arctic Blast bug you could just triple the damage(to counter the bug) and then divide by 3 when displaying the damage.
Graphically I would imagine something similar to Diablo's.

Offline Profile