Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:34 pm

Post subject: Merc Question
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:19 am 

So I hired a merc from A3 Normal when i was level 23... He's been leveling alongside me ever since and is not level 65... My question is this...

I just got to NM and when i reach A3 i definitly want to get a blizzard one BUT... not sure if this is same as original D2 where if you get a merc early on and level him all the way through, he is a lot stronger then getting him at the same level as you when you are lvl 6x or something..

Hoping that makes sense?

So in reality i want a blizzard A3 merc but don't want him to be a lot weaker then the guy i just leveled 40+ levels.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Merc Question
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:51 am 

regardless, you're going to want your a3 NM merc, so just get there and get him as low of a level as you can! I know his stats will be different (higher stats if you buy him at lower level), but not sure if the skills are the same way in HU.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:28 pm 

slappyNuts wrote:
regardless, you're going to want your a3 NM merc, so just get there and get him as low of a level as you can! I know his stats will be different (higher stats if you buy him at lower level), but not sure if the skills are the same way in HU.

Yea i'd like a second opinion on that last part..

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:08 pm 

Merc levels scale only in 1.11+
Never take hell merc tho. Norm>NM>Hell stats wise but you always want a3 NM for their main spell. Just avoid hell merc as they have pitiful stats - with str removed from items it's hard to give them something useful. I took one hell merc this season and had to repick from nm because on 89lvl he had 145str not allowing him using full soulmancer set. HUH
And yeah, it doesn't matter if he's 45 or 48 level from as long as you hire them from NM slave-traders ;-).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:26 pm 

Steel wrote:
Merc levels scale only in 1.11+
Never take hell merc tho. Norm>NM>Hell stats wise but you always want a3 NM for their main spell. Just avoid hell merc as they have pitiful stats - with str removed from items it's hard to give them something useful. I took one hell merc this season and had to repick from nm because on 89lvl he had 145str not allowing him using full soulmancer set. HUH
And yeah, it doesn't matter if he's 45 or 48 level from as long as you hire them from NM slave-traders ;-).

Thanks so much Steele...

So hiring a merc at level 67-69 oppose to having one without the blizzard feature but levels 50+ levels from scratch is better...

Never thought it but ok... going to get a A3 merc now.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:51 pm 

I wouldn't mind knowing the answer to this either, I really haven't noticed a diff though over my few years playing this mod.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:04 pm 

so wait, if i continue to lvl my lvl 3 nm a3 merc his stats will be off the chain? is that only str/dex?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:38 am 

pretty much yes. once they hit specific level they are replaced by another merc from list, ofc you don't see it, only stat-wise. IE. a5 norm barbs have 600hp on 39lvl and 1100 on 40hp. I remember 2 ladders ago when a1 merc lost all their skills @36lvl - 3arrows on multi instead of 7-8 - but got buff to stats - double damage or something.
But if you don't mind try to level that 3lvl merc to upload his stats - you can hire him on singleplayer to see differences.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:33 pm 

Steel wrote:
pretty much yes. once they hit specific level they are replaced by another merc from list, ofc you don't see it, only stat-wise. IE. a5 norm barbs have 600hp on 39lvl and 1100 on 40hp. I remember 2 ladders ago when a1 merc lost all their skills @36lvl - 3arrows on multi instead of 7-8 - but got buff to stats - double damage or something.
But if you don't mind try to level that 3lvl merc to upload his stats - you can hire him on singleplayer to see differences.

Man i must be dumb because i understood nothing here lol...

This still doesen't answer my question...

Ultimately what i want to know is this..

Is it worth replacing a act3 merc just for his blizzard ability oppose to having a merc you've had since level 23 and brought him up along next to you until lvl 6x?

Thats all.. :)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:38 pm 

basically ben is asking if this concept applies to skills, as well as stats

in bnet, if you bought a prayer merc in normal, and leveled him up all the way to 90, his Prayer would be much higher than if you bought a lvl 90 prayer merc. Does this still apply?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:51 pm 

slappyNuts wrote:
basically ben is asking if this concept applies to skills, as well as stats

in bnet, if you bought a prayer merc in normal, and leveled him up all the way to 90, his Prayer would be much higher than if you bought a lvl 90 prayer merc. Does this still apply?

Thx Dusty for the clarification...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:58 pm 

Quote:
Is it worth replacing a act3 merc just for his blizzard ability oppose to having a merc you've had since level 23 and brought him up along next to you until lvl 6x?
Blizzard is a great skill and synergy(inc damage) to all a3 cold merc skills, so there's only one obvious answer for this.
Quote:
No idea ;/ Well even if then it doesn't matter much here.
NM merc are always ~45lvl
Hell mercs are always ~75(??) but have worse stats than NM. That's all.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:56 pm 

Benjamin is referring to the following:

"The Merc's aura is dependant on the difficulty you get them from. The Merc auras all have level restrictions with the exception of the Might Merc aura. The forumla for calculating the level of an aura is: 10/32 of a level per level of the hirling (hlvl). So a level 98 might merc aura would be 10/32*98 = level 30 might aura.

The level caps for the aura's are dependant on the difficulty from which you hire them and can be seen below:

Normal Difficulty

Combat Prayer (hlvl 9 = alvl 3, max. alvl = 18)
Defensive Defiance (hlvl 9 = alvl 3, max. alvl = 18)
Offensive Blessed Aim (hlvl 9 = alvl 3, max. alvl = 18)

Nightmare Difficulty

Combat Thorns (hlvl 31 = alvl 9, max. alvl = 17)
Defensive Holy Freeze (hlvl 31 = alvl 9, max. alvl = 17)
Offensive Might (hlvl 31 = alvl 8, There is no cap on Might level )

Hell Difficulty

Combat Prayer (hlvl 55 = alvl 18, max. alvl = 16)*
Defensive Defiance (hlvl 55 = alvl 18, max. alvl = 16)*
Offensive Blessed Aim (hlvl 55 = alvl 18, max. alvl = 15)*

The figures for hell diff show that where the same merc hired from normal diff, they would have an aura level (alvl) of 18 when they reached hlvl 55 but the max aura a Hell diff merc can have is 16. Hence if you want a higher lvl aura, hire a merc from a lower difficulty."

Source: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/show ... p?t=304163

I also wonder whether this applies to HU, which auras have a 'limit', what those limits are?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:18 pm 

(((mlvl - 1) * lvlperlvl)/64) - formula to gain skills per level, mlvl = monster level = merc level
lvlperlvl on all blizz/meteo/chainlight/bone spirit skills is 4
NM cold merc starts 42lvl with 12lvl blizz
Hell ciold merc starts 72lvl with 24lvl blizz

As for a2 merc auras
lvlperlvl is 8 on nm/hell ones and 10 on norm one.
NM starts 38lvl with 8lvl auras, hell 68 with 12lvl auras
It's all in hirelings.txt
Do you need any specific info?
Quote:
I also wonder whether this applies to HU, which auras have a 'limit', what those limits are?
no idea. You have to do math for yourself :P
EDIT:nvm. just use first formula. (99-1 * 8)/64 = 12, add it to base level of skill and you have final level. Add +skills from items too.
Formula you quoted applied to vanilla d2 when you had very limited options to gear up mercs: Hell merc just had 16lvl aura and 0/32 gain.

Last edited by Steel on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:26 pm 

Steel wrote:
(((mlvl - 1) * lvlperlvl)/64) - formula to gain skills per level, mlvl = monster level = merc level
lvlperlvl on all blizz/meteo/chainlight/bone spirit skills is 4
NM cold merc starts 42lvl with 12lvl blizz
Hell ciold merc starts 72lvl with 24lvl blizz

As for a2 merc auras
lvlperlvl is 8 on nm/hell ones and 10 on norm one.
NM starts with 8lvl auras, hell 12

So i guess from all this im realizing that getting a NM merc with blizz is alot better then sticking with a norm one that i leveled 40+ levels...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:57 pm 

Benjamin wrote:
So i guess from all this im realizing that getting a NM merc with blizz is alot better then sticking with a norm one that i leveled 40+ levels...

Well ofc you want NM/Hell! You want Blizz on your merc don't you?

Thanks for the info Steel-

Steel wrote:

Yes, where do I find this "hirelings.txt" file. I've been dying to know where you guys find all this info so I can look it up myself.

Although, I'm really shitty at those formulas and usually gives me a headache trying to figure them out...

Offline Profile