Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:07 am

Post subject: Bone Necro Merc Combo + Skill Help?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:50 pm 

Hi, so I have a necro now at level 80... I have maxed all the bone skills (spirit/teeth/spear), and I'm not sure where to go next, I have 1 point into all the summon skill tree (skele master, golem mastery, golems, DK, etc.) and I have 1 point up to Lower Resist Curse.

So Should I spend rest of my points for DK for more tanking? or Force golem or something?

Also should I get an A2 Prayer Aura merc or Might Merc instead of sticking with my A3 Necro Merc?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Bone Necro Merc Combo + Skill Help?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:53 pm 

If you are primarily bone necro, I would say stick with your a3 pnb merc simply because of the magic pierce he can provide.

As for the skill distribution, I can't say as I haven't finished building my bone necro yet :P.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:56 pm 

a3 mercs provide psn pierce, not magic

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:59 pm 

hmmm... my bad. I thought their aura gave magic pierce

EDIT: sorry, I have gerkes sanctuary or whatever shield that gives him that aura XD

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:25 pm 

Yeah that aura is only level 1 making it pretty useless as he casts from out of the range of the aura...unless i had teleport to get him to where I want him to be >.> Anyway still need pointers on extra points!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:44 pm 

put an azurewrath on your merc ftw lvl 12 or so
DK is a beastly tank at around lvl 40 with 27k base hp mine from last season. or skeletons if you want a bunch of mini tanks to spread out the incoming damage. maybe 10 into LR as it will be very party friendly

or sanc RW shield ko ko mal i think

Last edited by blinky99 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:45 pm 

i believe sanctuary only benefits the person who has the aura active - not the party.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:34 pm 

Sanct is passive pierce for whoever is using it.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:32 am 

blinky99 wrote:
put an azurewrath on your merc ftw lvl 12 or so
DK is a beastly tank at around lvl 40 with 27k base hp mine from last season. or skeletons if you want a bunch of mini tanks to spread out the incoming damage. maybe 10 into LR as it will be very party friendly

or sanc RW shield ko ko mal i think

well u got to remember u will need max skellies to have a mob this season i prefer dk for 1 he is good tank and 2 his life after kill is gg for trash

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:26 am 

Maxing golem mastery will give you 4 pretty good tanks. Advantage vs skellies is that you dont need corpses to make em. Alternatively, you could max amp/lr + ce.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:40 pm 

max lr over amp anyday

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:56 pm 

I maxed LR and am working on blades. Golems are pretty shitty, skeletons require skillpoints to be maxed, blades make the best tanks either way and with points are pretty respectable against trash mobs. I did go down into the tree for 1 point death knight since it's a big time boss(literally tanks sub bosses with a healer).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:10 pm 

i was thinking 20 teeth/spear/wall/prison/blades and 10 spirit yes? How much more str might i need than last season

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:32 pm 

with a fully built necro, would the one pointers into golems still be useless? I sure hope not as I have started to 1 point them for my bone necro ><

I'm thinking of 20 teeth/spirit/spear/DK/mastery so I will have some strong magic dmg and a good tank.

not sure how to gear a necro on HU tho... the trang set doesn't look bad, but I'm sure there are better options..

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:39 pm 

Max spirit or you won't do any significant damage.

Wall and prison for what reason? They're awful tanks, they cause mass lag, and blades do their job 100x better anyways.

Str all depends what you plan on using, to be honest. I'd also consider maxing LR first over blades, as the ~25% is very useful.

Not useless, but not too useful, personally I find 1 pt DK and blades(which im maxing) enough to tank most of the things I run into. Blades require no corpses and I can cast them into the monsters to pool them all together for teeth.

Itemwise:
Boneshade(uber diamonds)
Templars/enigma/toothrow(facets)
85/95/ele craft shield(surs)
Zak ammy
2x wisp
Arach
Souldrainer
Caster boot craft

Helm is kind of up in the air, craft for 4os with facets or pretty much whatever you deem worthy of using.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:45 pm 

Thanks for the info angel

What is the main benefit of blades over DK? The casting time?

Also, does LR actually lower the magic res?

4x sur in a shield is a bit expensive! Why not go for facets instead?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:51 pm 

DK requires a corpse.

Blades can be spammed without a corpse on a boss to basically hold agro on most bosses in the game.

LR does not lower the magic res, but an extra 25% is pretty significant when playing with a party, it also does well to help whatever merc you use to deal even more damage(I suggest cold merc since bliz is broken and has no GCD like it should on mercs).

Facets could work I suppose. Surs aren't too hard to come by though.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:19 am 

blue_myriddn wrote:
i believe sanctuary only benefits the person who has the aura active - not the party.

This is true only benefits the caster not the party.

PureRage-DoD wrote:
no, its for the user only. It works against all monsters (except immunes)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:01 am 

Angel wrote:
(I suggest cold merc since bliz is broken and has no GCD like it should on mercs).

Facets could work I suppose. Surs aren't too hard to come by though.

GCD = General cool down? If not, I am puzzled on what you are referring to.
Surs aren't hard to come by? Where are you getting them so easily?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:17 am 

probably nihl

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:16 am 

I was going to say.. I haven't found one Sur lol. Vex/Ohm/Lo on the other hand..

On topic: So, maxing Blades seems like a better alternative to DK/mastery also because it will free up 20 points, which means I can max a curse as well.. In that case, I'm assuming most people would recommend LR instead of Amp?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:47 pm 

slappyNuts wrote:
I was going to say.. I haven't found one Sur lol. Vex/Ohm/Lo on the other hand..

On topic: So, maxing Blades seems like a better alternative to DK/mastery also because it will free up 20 points, which means I can max a curse as well.. In that case, I'm assuming most people would recommend LR instead of Amp?

think u will find find max blades sucks least i did last season but that is personal play preference

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:00 pm 

so just 1 point all the summons and masteries, then max amp/lr/teeth/spear/spirit?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:37 pm 

raelly imo just bone, golem mastery, and LR/DK your choice one point in golems blades etc

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:29 am 

I always preferred:

20 spirit
20 spear
20 teeth
20 blades
20 golem mastery
1 pt - all summons/skellie mastery/curses (besides the 3 on the left)

*i'd skimp on the golem mastery if you have to choose one*

maxed spirit blades w/ self oak (which you should have wisps on already for), bo, and perhaps a defiance aura from a dimaond craft (on you or your merc), are monster tanks with tiny recast times. Even in hell 1 pt golems with maxed golem mastery and the previously mentioned buffs are monster tanks as well. And both require no corpses. Throw in decrepify and the slows target % from clay golem and you are enhancing your damage, slowing the hell out of your enemies, weakening them, and making your tanks last that much longer.

As far as curses go. From what i've been told, decrepify is the only curse that enhances your teeth/spear/spirit damage. (please, if someone can verify/correct this it would be appreciated)

Dark knight seems as valuable with 1 point as it does with 20. It doesn't die often vs. trash with 1 point or 20. And it's dead very quickly with 1 point or 20 vs. bosses. Maybe with maxed skeleton mastery and maxed Dark knight it's very nice but i'm 99% sure the blades/golem mastery route is a better way to go for your build.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:06 pm 

I ended up going 1 points into all summons (20 LR/amp/spear/spirit/teeth) and here's what I've found (lvl 87 in Hell):

Skellie Tree:
the 1 pt skeleton is useless, all he does when I summon him is get 1 shotted
the 2 mages will live if I have a team to play with
Right now I'm wearing vamp gaze and it makes day and night difference with my DK living against trash. With just the 1 pt, the Force Golem was outliving him, but now with a few extra points he completely outclasses the Force Golem (not to mention his aura which is SIC)

Golem Tree:
The clay golem definitely dies the easiest, but with oak and BO he lives really well and he's actually my favorite for the slow + decrep
Blood and Iron golem live about the same
Force Golem was my hero until I put on the vamp gaze. Before I got to hell and regeared, he was the only summon that would be alive after each battle. He still is the best tank (besides the DK)

Blades:
They live well enough during fights, and their casting delay is so short it doesn't really matter. I would say they are definitely the most useful summon in boss fights, while also being a helpful aggro target against trash. Since they have no pre-req's, you'd have to be quite silly not to 1 point this.

I really like having a few meat shields so I can deck my merc out in dmg gear instead of worrying so much about him living.

I'm really happy about not maxing any summons though, as the 1 points do enough tanking while my bonerskillz are maxed, and now I have LR and Amp (not yet) maxed.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:18 pm 

20 spirit
20 Spear
20 Teeth
20 LR
1 pt skele mast/dk
rest in spirit blades

Last edited by Angel on Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:26 pm 

cant have more than 20 in LR lol

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:35 pm 

I edited it to be blades. Blades gain 150 life per point, so after 20 points you're getting 3k extra life, when affected by oak and BO that's an extra 10k hitpoints.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:07 pm 

I would definitely like to make a summoner to see how everything pans out when all the critters are maxed.. but to me, as a boner, the summons are simply there to take hits while I tear through everything. Since the blades have the lowest cast delay, they seem like the thing I would have the least incentive to max since I can just recast them quickly. Also, to be effective as a party member, I am very happy to have maxed LR and amp, which I couldn't have if I maxed any summon. My summons live good enough for me to run around in Hell by myself, and they do even better when I'm with a party, so I don't really see the need to max them.

Anyways, I really wanted to try the Faith bow on the a1 merc, or maybe even a brand, or even a fuckin Ice, but I don't have any Ber lol. However, I found the last piece to naj, so I'm gonna rock an a3 lite merc and see how that works out. I just got him leveled and he does some decent dmg, gotta gear him up tho and decide whether hes worth filling his sockets. Since my boner is going to be mainly for MFing and boss quests, I can't afford to run a cold a3 merc.. I just cringe at the thought of the possibility of one of those monsters on the Tundra dropping Cham or Zod and having the corpse pop ><. Blizz mercs are the shit.. I got one on my conviction pali, but I heard lite is pretty good for tundra clearing too so we'll see

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:19 pm 

When your blades can tank two hits from act and sub bosses it makes them that much stronger.

My 1 point deathknight was already able to straight up tank hell bosses that weren't the act bosses.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:43 pm 

I think if you wanted to be a solo bone necro that maxing teeth would be necessary, but in a party circumstance I think curses are more valuable-

It seems that spending 19 skill points is very expensive to have a blade take 2 hits from bosses instead of one (although I'm sure they rape trash)... I will admit I'm inexperienced with Hell boss fights, but as a bone necro, I'm usually only a secondary source of DPS, and spend more of my time making sure curses are cast and blades are up; all other in between time is spent boning (hehe) the boss (depending on whether we are concerned about counters).

It seems to me that having the ability to max either one of the two curses that you haven't yet to allow you to complete these fights with a wider variety of companions by negating their greatest obstacle: resistances > having a blade take one extra shot to allow you to cast more spears instead of spamming blades.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:17 pm 

I think a good comparison for 1 pt blades to 20 point is this. Decoy on a bowzon compared to decoy on a plague javver. Decoy w/ oak/bo on a high life zon makes it last untill recast and then some. same with maxed blades. Maxed blades are one of the best boss tanks in the game. I would personally never make any type of necro without maxed blades. How can you pass up a 20 point monster of a boss tank w/ very little recast. Also, in a party situation it is a beneficial to have 8 very strong tanks running around keeping it much safer for you and the other party members in your group.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:29 pm 

I'm still not convinced, like I said, that maxing blades will accomplish much that I couldn't with 1 point except for freeing up some time while not casting blades to cast spears...

especially if you end up in a party with a ww barb, maul druid, and zeal palli... you have 3 good tanks (plus summons) and NOT maxed amp :( (assuming you maxed LR instead of amp since people have been shying away from phys melee builds)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:52 pm 

You don't ever have a use for amp because nothing does damage even with maxed amp.

Where as locking down a boss is key because blaze/meteor sorcs and your own bliz merc requires it to deal big damage.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:08 pm 

lmao sad but true... I was really looking forward to the melee/phys only team going far so I could tell you that you're wrong.. too bad most everyone died and gave up ><

This is a very valid point.. even if all blades go down at once for a split second the boss could move real quick... amp is the last thing left and I still only have put one point into it... maybe I'll go spend those on blades... thanks for your input ^^

Offline Profile