Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:45 am

Post subject: Sorc Merc Choice
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:08 am 

Hey guys... so i started another char - a SF or Nova sorc.. maxing both ATM so will choose one or another in the long run.

The question I have here is... which merc is best? I think act2 recovery with a Insight polearm?

Any thoughts guys?

Also i've been having a real struggle with understanding the build of a tank merc... i am not sure what he needs but i have like 25 % LL on him with descent gear and he still dies fairly well.. i think his FHR and IAS suck...

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Sorc Merc Choice
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:22 am 

there is no such thing as "best". Just whichever works best for you.
details on the mercs here: http://blue.arimyth.com/Mercenaries.html

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:37 am 

blue_myriddn wrote:
there is no such thing as "best". Just whichever works best for you.
details on the mercs here: http://blue.arimyth.com/Mercenaries.html

Lol blue... you keep providing links that i go to every day... I was asking for real life expertise.. i can read but i wanted the forums opinion and they're interactions with the merc along sorcoresses..

Thanks for your link anyways...

Anyone else?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:41 am 

why do you have to choose between static and nova?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:45 am 

I would say A2 insight is a good plan. A2 mercs need fhr to be effective as well as dr. I have been putting as much dr/mdr (safety crafts/blood crafts) on my mercs and have been successful thus far (a3 nm) as well as max res and life if possible.
and later you can of course upgrade to infinity and/or dream helm

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:52 am 

Zikur wrote:
I would say A2 insight is a good plan. A2 mercs need fhr to be effective as well as dr. I have been putting as much dr/mdr (safety crafts/blood crafts) on my mercs and have been successful thus far (a3 nm) as well as max res and life if possible.
and later you can of course upgrade to infinity and/or dream helm

Thanks for this update brother...

Any chance you can give me advice on what a good gear setup would be for normal? So say...maybe...up to lvl 55 or so?

What can i put together thats not too expensive..

Also...
Zikur wrote:
why do you have to choose between static and nova?

I have to max both in order for 1 or the other to do good dmg... i like static ALOT because it clears whole screens instead of nova - close combat.

Not sure where to go..

Whats your advice?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:07 pm 

i know you have to max both. thats why i dont get why you have the choooose when you can use both?
until late game and you go to make a tfk or something in a +3 orb but id argue fathom > ftk especially for static because of the range you wont get the benefit from conviction.
the gear used on my a2 merc in norm that let him kill seal bosses with amp was
eth grim reaper (100 % ds) tho im sure you could get better
rockstopper with diamonds
silks with diamond or holy craft tho i imagine crow craw would be rather good with 4 os and ias fhr res
bladebuckle
frostburns
tearhaunch
tho its not ideal it was working rather well for me.
its pretty much the same as building any melee and since you dont neeed dmg first or to meet str reqs its easier to socket gear with diamonds/res and not worry about mana leach or ed as much. blood crafts are nice since they all have life + leach + str all great mods for a2 mercs and gloves/helm have dr expensive to roll them tho

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:11 pm 

Zikur wrote:
i know you have to max both. thats why i dont get why you have the choooose when you can use both?
until late game and you go to make a tfk or something in a +3 orb but id argue fathom > ftk especially for static because of the range you wont get the benefit from conviction.
the gear used on my a2 merc in norm that let him kill seal bosses with amp was
eth grim reaper (100 % ds) tho im sure you could get better
rockstopper with diamonds
silks with diamond or holy craft tho i imagine crow craw would be rather good with 4 os and ias fhr res
bladebuckle
frostburns
tearhaunch
tho its not ideal it was working rather well for me.
its pretty much the same as building any melee and since you dont neeed dmg first or to meet str reqs its easier to socket gear with diamonds/res and not worry about mana leach or ed as much. blood crafts are nice since they all have life + leach + str all great mods for a2 mercs and gloves/helm have dr expensive to roll them tho

Well i think i can get most of this stuff.. i already have bladebuckel, frosties, and terahauch... Just need weapon and armor.

What do you suggest for rings and ammy?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:24 pm 

well you dont have to copy exactly cause as i say its not exactly optimal its just defensively gearing a melee. rings ammy can be anything. if you need res slap on a 30 all + life ammy or something similar blood craft rings would be great with str (dmg) life and leach and possible res. you are going to want to get res whereever you can cause it will get harder and harder to get max as the game goes on. lots of uses for not great blood rings too. or safety craft rings.
even frosties can be improved i think what made them so useful was the ctc frozen armor which you can get from crafts

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:29 pm 

Zikur wrote:
well you dont have to copy exactly cause as i say its not exactly optimal its just defensively gearing a melee. rings ammy can be anything. if you need res slap on a 30 all + life ammy or something similar blood craft rings would be great with str (dmg) life and leach and possible res. you are going to want to get res whereever you can cause it will get harder and harder to get max as the game goes on. lots of uses for not great blood rings too. or safety craft rings.
even frosties can be improved i think what made them so useful was the ctc frozen armor which you can get from crafts

Thanks a lot man i really appreciate this.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:36 pm 

Also Zikur..

What do you think about this..

Ive seen sorc around with act 5 merc (wearwolfs) and then i've seen some (maybe like 1 or 2) with act 3 mercs...

Any idea on how they perform oppose to act 2 merc?

One cant say that its preference because your talking about act 2 and 5 Tank Mercs vs long range act 3...

Any thoughts?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:55 pm 

if you were frost nova id suggest a3 cold for the pierce cause you'd be the tank and deal all your dmg in nova range. because you can possibly use static (outside of a3 mercs aura range) and not exactly a tank in your own right (especially early game) i would go with a melee since it doubles as another source of dmg to kill immunes.
a5 mercs are typically more tank and agressive as it reads on blues site but a2 mercs DO atk faster. they have zeal which already gives them more hits and a5 mercs have a slow bash animation which will lead to slower leaching with the same amount of ias. late game if you wanted to switch to an a5 with full IK then you'd have a pretty sweet tank as it gains the full set bonus however early on I would say its more of a preference as they are comparable and I myself have always valued prayer over bash warcry rabies ect. it should be noted a2 recovery mercs have a lot of regen as on top of their prayer pulse which is like 25 at low lvls they get another 80+ life per pulse or something i cant remember the exact number but you can see they have a lot of regen. and insight is just compliments it perfectly and allows for spell spam without chugging blues.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:01 pm 

Zikur wrote:
if you were frost nova id suggest a3 cold for the pierce cause you'd be the tank and deal all your dmg in nova range. because you can possibly use static (outside of a3 mercs aura range) and not exactly a tank in your own right (especially early game) i would go with a melee since it doubles as another source of dmg to kill immunes.
a5 mercs are typically more tank and agressive as it reads on blues site but a2 mercs DO atk faster. they have zeal which already gives them more hits and a5 mercs have a slow bash animation which will lead to slower leaching with the same amount of ias. late game if you wanted to switch to an a5 with full IK then you'd have a pretty sweet tank as it gains the full set bonus however early on I would say its more of a preference as they are comparable and I myself have always valued prayer over bash warcry rabies ect. it should be noted a2 recovery mercs have a lot of regen as on top of their prayer pulse which is like 25 at low lvls they get another 80+ life per pulse or something i cant remember the exact number but you can see they have a lot of regen. and insight is just compliments it perfectly and allows for spell spam without chugging blues.

Awesome man!!

Just a great explanation.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:36 pm 

ben- keep in mind that there are lots of leach resistances, so massive LL won't always keep your merc alive in HU like it did bnet. Focus instead on dr, regen, and resists (skull & diamonds) instead.

As for your choice of merc... its all preference. I tend to lean toward regen a2 mercs with insight and lots of holy craft gear for auras. Only reason really is because on HC I want my merc to enhance my char so I'm buff with less chance of dying. With a sorc, I almost indefinitely would do that set up. However, if you're feeling saucy, you can go for a lite a3 merc for the lower res and extra trash clearing. However running alone u will need to be able to kill shit very quickly, as neither of you will be able to tank :P.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:47 pm 

slappyNuts wrote:
ben- keep in mind that there are lots of leach resistances, so massive LL won't always keep your merc alive in HU like it did bnet. Focus instead on dr, regen, and resists (skull & diamonds) instead.

As for your choice of merc... its all preference. I tend to lean toward regen a2 mercs with insight and lots of holy craft gear for auras. Only reason really is because on HC I want my merc to enhance my char so I'm buff with less chance of dying. With a sorc, I almost indefinitely would do that set up. However, if you're feeling saucy, you can go for a lite a3 merc for the lower res and extra trash clearing. However running alone u will need to be able to kill shit very quickly, as neither of you will be able to tank :P.

Thanks brother... i think i will def then stick with act2 recovery merc with insight.

Does is matter what shell i make it in?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:16 pm 

shell as in what weapon? not really - so long as its in one of the ones the rw can be made in. which includes all polearms not sure what else. i have liked putting them in fast weapons since it has little to no ias on the rw itself. ( might be none i cant recall) so a fast base weapon helps. oh and eth. eth being the most important.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:26 pm 

Zikur wrote:
shell as in what weapon? not really - so long as its in one of the ones the rw can be made in. which includes all polearms not sure what else. i have liked putting them in fast weapons since it has little to no ias on the rw itself. ( might be none i cant recall) so a fast base weapon helps. oh and eth. eth being the most important.

Is this like vanilla D2 and you have to find ETH wpns or is there way to make them from normal polearms?

If i find an eth weapon with like 2 sockets... can i make it 4 sockets so i can make insight out of it?

What polearm do you prefer for a lvl 35 lvl sorc?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:36 pm 

1. yes, you need to find eth wpns
2. You can make any eth wpns have up to 5 sockets using the socket items
3. War scythe is a good call for lvl35 as it is fast, which means more hits and more life leech.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:17 pm 

blue_myriddn wrote:
1. yes, you need to find eth wpns
2. You can make any eth wpns have up to 5 sockets using the socket items
3. War scythe is a good call for lvl35 as it is fast, which means more hits and more life leech.

On number 2... what your saying is that i can find an ETH weapon that has maybe 2 sockets... put it into a cube with X socket and it will over-ride the 2 sockets and make it 5?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:21 pm 

yes

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:37 pm 

definitely you want a fast eth weapon and you can socket it however you need. also I like to have the highest range (5?) on the p.arms, but I'm not sure if this affects a2 mercs much...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:10 pm 

slappyNuts wrote:
definitely you want a fast eth weapon and you can socket it however you need. also I like to have the highest range (5?) on the p.arms, but I'm not sure if this affects a2 mercs much...

Ok so to make insight i actually need 4 sockets -- was thinking of another weapon..

Anyhow, whats the best place at lvl 35 to find the best ETH weapon for me?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:27 am 

Highest arealevel you can access.
(the tal tombes? guess is based on your lvl)
Or, just look at the floor so you'll have an idea of what can drop where.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:59 pm 

ok well u seen my sorc ben bot hwith a2 and a5 merc and to be honest the a5 is better for nova /static for tanking and gear is cheap for him eth steel driver or reg if u can get eth silks for armour then holy crafted rings get some recovery and a holy ammy gets u some med and still doesnt lose out on the mercs ablitly to tank and survive any way hit me up in game can show what mine is using and it cheap to make also prob got an extra thunder staff around if u still need one maybe even some of the other gear u might need

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:44 pm 

Clown wrote:
ok well u seen my sorc ben bot hwith a2 and a5 merc and to be honest the a5 is better for nova /static for tanking and gear is cheap for him eth steel driver or reg if u can get eth silks for armour then holy crafted rings get some recovery and a holy ammy gets u some med and still doesnt lose out on the mercs ablitly to tank and survive any way hit me up in game can show what mine is using and it cheap to make also prob got an extra thunder staff around if u still need one maybe even some of the other gear u might need

Your awesome... ill see you on tonight.

Offline Profile