Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:24 am

Post subject: New to hc, gona start soon, need some help/advise
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:33 am 

Hey guys, I'm gona start a hc char as soon as I can, wich hopefully is tonight. I havent played d2 in a very long time and I'm very unsure wich stats to take and talents I should take.

I want do make a bone necro so obviously I would max teeth, b spear and b spirit.

I'm atm playing a bone necro on sc since I cant make a hc yet. And I'm using 1 point in each golem+ golem mastery, also I got 1 point in each of the curses going down to lower resist.

Now the hard part is, should I max out 1 or 2 curses when I go hc or should I max out golem mastery? or should I just put 1 point in the summons?

Also I've read that the hc community here isnt that big, so wich curse(if its better to max a curse then golem mastery) should I max for the best group synergy? I hear amp damage is good since the hell bosses have a hidden physical immunity or something like that.
Or is lower resist the way to go?
Or do you need the golem mastery maxed to survive in hell?

Any tips and tricks to share? :P
I'm just trying to plan ahead for hc thats all.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: New to hc, gona start soon, need some help/advise
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:55 am 

I don't know if you have your heart set on a bone necro, but you may want to consider a different route for your first character along.

I rolled a Golemmancer on Hardcore as a party character and he worked out wonderfully early game. Rather than dividing skills 3 ways (curse/summon/bone), you simply divide them 2 ways (curse/summon) which means you can do those 2 things much better.

Just something to think about maybe. A well built Golemmancer can go a lot of places and do a lot of things (I can farm Sarina with ease in norm A3 for example to build up gear)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:36 am 

cool, can you tell me more about how to build a golemmancer and wich curses I should take?
Also how is golemmancer in the end game?

Also my weakness: stats?! where do I put my points?
Ppl usually say enough str to carry the gear(wich is how much?! I dont know any gear at all except maybe trang'oul and I have NO idea how much str you need. It doesnt have to be super optimal just tell me a number that is "acceptable".

And even though I have no idea who sarina is it does seem appealing, and thanks for the help.

EDIT: probably should haven mention that I've not played d2 in years so you'll have to forgive me for my lack of knowledge, also only started playing HU 4 days ago so dont really know a lot about this mod, but its fun as hell so far.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:42 am 

Verb wrote:
cool, can you tell me more about how to build a golemmancer and wich curses I should take?

Put points in golem skills.
Put points in curses that benefit your party - golems mostly benefit from Amp damage or decrep.

Verb wrote:

You play HC. Don't worry about end game. Worry about the now game.

Verb wrote:
Ppl usually say enough str to carry the gear(wich is how much?! I dont know any gear at all except maybe trang'oul and I have NO idea how much str you need. It doesnt have to be super optimal just tell me a number that is "acceptable".

if an item is red, put more points in strength. Otherwise, you have enough strength. There is very limited +str on gear, so spend the points you need. You can run through blue.arimyth.com to see what the str reqs are on gear you may want to use.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:09 pm 

awesome man, thanks

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:20 pm 

Verb wrote:

And even though I have no idea who sarina is it does seem appealing, and thanks for the help.

EDIT: probably should haven mention that I've not played d2 in years so you'll have to forgive me for my lack of knowledge, also only started playing HU 4 days ago so dont really know a lot about this mod, but its fun as hell so far.

as far as strenght bout 65 should be plenty to equip most any necro gear and for summons i prefer dk and blades dk for the life recovery it offers blades ofc for helping tank and normal just 1 point all curses sept the 3 on left hand side and 1 point in bone armour can be a real life saver
sarina is the boss for the temple quest in act3

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:25 pm 

Clown wrote:
for summons i prefer dk and blades dk for the life recovery it offers blades ofc for helping tank and normal just 1 point all curses sept the 3 on left hand side and 1 point in bone armour can be a real life saver

blades and dk are nice and all, but don't really do any damage, so if you are going a 2 tree build (summon/curse), I don't think you could really get very far.

1pt in Amp doesn't really cut it anymore either if you really want to do physical dmg.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:16 pm 

I've started my necro now, just finished act 1 and so far pretty mixed feelings :P
I've probably havent spent my talent points wisely but if I'm alone in the game then my golems kick ass.
But we were like 5 ppl in the catacombs and it didnt really feel like my golems did any damage and we only had casters so they were pretty good tanks(untill we reached andy ofc). Other then that it didnt really feel like I contributed anything to the group, but that might have to do with the setup of the group.
Mostly because everyone was casters so didnt really have a good curse to put up for them to get a buff from. But I guess that changes when I get Lower resist.

Also got a 6player spawn on andy so she 2 or 3 hit my golems and we couldnt really kill her. Ran out of pots when she was at 50%. A lvl 50 sorc came in and was nice enough to kill her off for us.

It kinda sucks that corpse explosion costs 30mana, because atm thats like a 4th of my mana pool or something and its a really good spell even with the delay.

Do you guys spend a lot of points in energy? I spent like 35 there because I really dont have any gear and it sucks running around with 40 mana.

Was kinda funny though, the only time I've been close to dying was when I went out in blood moor and there was a pack of an elite(or whatever its called) and his minions and they almost took me out :P

Can I get some tips on how to spend my talent points? It feels like its smarter to try to max out golem mastery as fast as possible since it buffs all the golems, or should I spend some points in the golems aswell(more then 1 or 2 I mean)? or just try to max out amp damage?
Or maybe its just best to mix it all up?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:17 pm 

blue_myriddn wrote:
Clown wrote:
for summons i prefer dk and blades dk for the life recovery it offers blades ofc for helping tank and normal just 1 point all curses sept the 3 on left hand side and 1 point in bone armour can be a real life saver

blades and dk are nice and all, but don't really do any damage, so if you are going a 2 tree build (summon/curse), I don't think you could really get very far.

1pt in Amp doesn't really cut it anymore either if you really want to do physical dmg.

was speaking to the idea of a bone necro build for the killing part sorry i was not clear as to that so add max teeth spear and spirit to the list the dk and all is just for tankage and curses for party help

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:00 pm 

As a summoner you really don't want to rely on summons to do your damage. Get a merc, and focus on its gear more than your own. I recommend a A1 rogue geared for physical damage, the A3 mercs do alright as well. Max both amp and LR, there is no reason not to on a summoner. Unfortunately this costs 40 hard points for them to be worth a shit later on.

The thing about summoner's is you only need 1pt into spirit blades to tank pretty much every boss because of their low cool down recast rate. Outside of a few areas, 1pt summons can tank trash mobs just fine in any difficulty. So max your curses first, and figure out where you wanna spend your other 60 skill points secondly. I went with skels, skel mastery, and rest into CE this time around. I figure blades already tank anything big I need, and the large number of skeletons is great for trash mobs. It's really hard to go wrong on choosing a summoner's skills. Corpse explosion is somewhat of a joke these days, I'd recommend not investing in it until the cool down timer is removed(if ever).

Stop spending points into energy, you'll regret it soon enough when tons of +mana items start dropping in the later normal acts. You want every stat point you can spare to go into vitality on HC. Stay under 50 base strength, 20 dex, and 10 energy at the most for a necro. You won't have trouble equipping anything worthwhile that a amethyst or a few charms can't fix.

I'd recommend doing at least one run through to hell on SC before you pick up HC. Knowledge of what can and can not kill you is huge in getting your character through the game without seeing the deeds screen. You will eventually die to some unexpected high burst damage without prior knowledge of what to avoid or prepare for.

If you still aren't swayed at least try to team up with someone who can provide life buffs for the team during the harder areas/bosses. A druid with high oak and a necro with maxed curses go a long way to making boss fights easier for ANY party. Try to make some friends fast because advancing in HC with nothing but public party's can be a nightmare.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:55 pm 

drrod wrote:
I'd recommend doing at least one run through to hell on SC before you pick up HC. Knowledge of what can and can not kill you is huge in getting your character through the game without seeing the deeds screen. You will eventually die to some unexpected high burst damage without prior knowledge of what to avoid or prepare for.

Thats an excellent idea tbh, I've already lost 4 characters so far :P

I've only played through to act5 normal in sc.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:26 pm 

yo verb, add my acc *slappynuts

we'll run sometime :)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:53 am 

I've added you slappy :D
You can add me if you want to my acc is *stiltzkin

Offline Profile