Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 am

Post subject: Why you should be excited about Torchlight 2
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:25 pm 
Site Admin

Some of you here may have played Torchlight. A fun and simplistic throw back to the original Diablo, developed by the original people behind the first Diablo game. Wasn't much to it; it was pretty much Diablo 1 with some Diablo 2 concepts but it was a very polished and enjoyable single player experience.

Runic has much larger ambitions for the sequel and looking to improve and expand upon what was seen in the first game in every possible way; furthermore Torchlight II will feature multiplayer; and while Runic has no plans for a dedicated official server, they do have plans to release software that will allow people to host their own private servers... TL1 fans may remember the world editor and very flexible and powerful modding support that spawned some great of original maps and mods; you could pretty much change or add anything including brand new classes without replacing existing classes... Well Runic plans to expand upon that with TL2 with a new and improved updated world editor that will offer more power and also be more polished and user friendly.

The game is slated to be released late spring sometime. So what does this give us? An amazing multiplayer diablo-style experience with official support the legally host private servers and all powerful world editor that offers far more power and flexability for mods and user created content then Diablo 2 ever had to offer.

Given that Diablo 3 has confirmed no official support for modding and no option for multiplayer outside of their official battle.net 2.0 "one server to rule them all" It seems far more likely that my next project will move from Diablo 3 to Torchlight 2; unless Blizzard surprises us all.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Why you should be excited about Torchlight 2
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:34 pm 

Sounds pretty sweet. Would love to have another mod to play this summer, as diablo2 is a real pain in the ass on win 7.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:00 pm 

torchlight 2 modding sounds cool :)

warcraft3 has custom mod maps and it resulted in cool things like dota and tower defence maps.

starcraft had custom mod maps but the custom editor was not as powerful as warcraft3. but the normal melee play on starcraft was soo ownage that it coverd that problem easily. and even coverd the lack of custom editor power too for the custom maps.

diablo 2 was fun for awhile then just turned into item farming then boring. HU made it fun again but ya it's custom editor is very limmited when compared to warcraft3. diablo 2 also has no offical custom editor.

thats the blizzard games outlook imo.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:15 pm 

Well if nothing else it's a really good sign for gaming imo. This could turn into a fun direction change for gaming, letting the community dictate it's overall development. Much like the Iphone and it's app store.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:48 pm 

Awesome! I loved torchlight and spent alot of time modifying it for myself. I really enjoyed that game. I've been playing HU for years and love it (or what it used to be before the last patch) and I'm excited to hear you say you'll be modding TL2.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:02 am 

all I can say is: AWESOME!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:50 pm 

The summoner on TL1 was fun. Laser Golems with mass damage. Spell scrolls were nice and melee had wide array of cool looking support skills.

I've been looking forward to TL2, but your mod sounds more fun. =D

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:06 am 

now im thinkin bout this.....when could we get a "beta" test started, lol ill go buy the game asap.

Looking forward to arguing with myself over which to play lol

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. Einstein

Offline Profile