Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:12 am

Post subject: Phase 1 of website update is complete
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:06 pm 

The information from the patch website is now mostly integrated in to blue.arimyth.com, so there is an easier url to remember for patch info.

The navigation changed a bit too as I have combined both blue & critterkiller's in to one website (critterkiller's will be phased out - seemed silly to have 2 sites).

Now I need to go through it and correct errors and missing information. Making progress though.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Phase 1 of website update is complete
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:08 pm 

i looked at a few of the new graphics for the items on the website, they are kick ass! nice job

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:10 pm 

I'm having some trouble viewing sections due to limited vertical space. This is only a problem when I want to view crafted item stats.

The frames on the left have no scroll bars, and the buttons go off the screen at the bottom. For example, the last Items button is Gems/Runes (I assume Crafting is below this), and the last Information button is Mercenaries.

On the assumption that I'm only missing one button in each case, consider one these solutions:
1) Reduce size of all left-margin buttons by 10% (currently I see 9 buttons, so I would now see 10).
2) Move the FAQ button from the top navigation area to the Information section (this will free up one row of buttons, so that the Items section will now show Crafting at the bottom).
3) Reduce the height of the bar seperating the top and bottom sections of the left margin. I think reducing this by at least 70% will let me view the top pixels of the next row of buttons, which I would be content with.
4) Reduce the height of the top frame by 15%. Same benefit as (3).
5) Hold your thumb and forefinger such that it resembles the world's smallest violin, so that I might mourn the loss of easy craft data access.

All that aside, the pictures are nice. When you're fully finished, I don't mind reviewing it for typos and such. Currently there's some broken or missing picture links, and some font colours are inconsistent, but that looks like just a work in progress issue.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:20 pm 

EDIT: i see the webpage fine. all buttons load.

your screen resolution might be small, i think it would be best viewed at 1024x768 or higher. or it could be your web browser making it display incorrectly.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:23 pm 

ya don't bother looking for broken images, and font issues - none of that has been ironed out yet, I just did global search/repalcing

What size monitor are you using? You should only have a problem if you are running it in 800x600 res and that is a pretty out of date setting. I will see if I can get the scrollbars in there, I thought I had the code setup before to do that.

I may also be able to reduce the header a bit. going to use the header that is on critter's site as it is more generic than my light bulb and I think i can cut some space out of that.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:41 pm 

Frames always bother me. Maybe use <DIV> tags.
They will allow people to scroll the whole page instead of scrolling just the frame that contains the information. This will be more user friendly to all resolutions. Just one of those small things that might make a big difference.

Good luck with all the other stuff.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:15 pm 

Trafalgar wrote:
Frames always bother me. Maybe use <DIV> tags.

Bother the heck out of me too and I hate to use them. I can't get the same functionality (1 single webpage for navigation) from a DIV that I can from frames though.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:06 pm 

Why don't use the community and put it out there for someone to help you make a site design. This is an online game where I'm sure you will have a couple people who wouldn't mind doing it.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:35 pm 

stars wrote:
Why don't use the community and put it out there for someone to help you make a site design. This is an online game where I'm sure you will have a couple people who wouldn't mind doing it.

sure thing - happy to have someone do some work on it.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:13 pm 

can we get a sticky and get critters outa there?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:37 pm 

blue_myriddn wrote:
Bother the heck out of me too and I hate to use them. I can't get the same functionality (1 single webpage for navigation) from a DIV that I can from frames though.

I can see the logic in that.
It wouldn't be difficult to take what you have and turn into a website that uses DIV tags, just so long you have the resources to host them.

I'm sure there's plenty of people around here who have the spare time like myself. :arrow: :ugeek: It's been a few years but like anything else it comes back with a little refresher. :lol:

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:32 pm 

well - the website already uses div tags, i just dont' see how using div tags can replicate the functionality of frames. I think you would need a database run website for that and I don't have the skill set to build that.

If you know how to code a website that has a navigation that can be separate from the other pages using div tags, I would be very curious to see that. Currently though the website is built with 95 individual HTML files, so we don't want to have a navigation system that would need to be updated on each of the 95 pages every time a change is made. Likewise, the left navigation is now 3 deep in the sense that the items on the top left control what shows up on the bottom. I don't think that sort of thing can be done with DIV tags.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:33 pm 

blue_myriddn wrote:
well - the website already uses div tags, i just dont' see how using div tags can replicate the functionality of frames. I think you would need a database run website for that and I don't have the skill set to build that.

If you know how to code a website that has a navigation that can be separate from the other pages using div tags, I would be very curious to see that. Currently though the website is built with 95 individual HTML files, so we don't want to have a navigation system that would need to be updated on each of the 95 pages every time a change is made. Likewise, the left navigation is now 3 deep in the sense that the items on the top left control what shows up on the bottom. I don't think that sort of thing can be done with DIV tags.

Once you go so far into developing a website with frames it is difficult to find a way back out using a different navigation method.

A javascript based drop-down/expanding navigation would work. From what I can remember the code for the navigation can be stored in a separate file and simply called in the html code, allowing any altering of the navigation to be a simple affair because only the one file has to be changed.

I guess it's something to think about. :)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:05 am 

ya - that is similar to what we have working on the other website that I run - www.mrfixitonline.com

I can't code javascript menus though.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:44 pm 

updated bows for the most part today.

Damage is calculated only for Godstrike and higher as the lower bows weren't adjusted much. I will use calculated damage for all the other bows when I do a final pass on the website - for now I just wanted to ensure the info on the new bows was posted for people.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:24 pm 

They just aren't explaining it to you well blue, hand the reigns over to someone on the website. Looks like buddy up there is willing to do it, you should let him.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:52 pm 

stars wrote:
They just aren't explaining it to you well blue, hand the reigns over to someone on the website. Looks like buddy up there is willing to do it, you should let him.

sure - I welcome anyone else to take this project on.
Build it all local - zip it up and let me see what they have in mind. Or just show me sample code that has DIV tags in those functionality.

From what I understand though - it simply isn't possible to build a website with this much content without using a database to drive it.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:42 am 

Brevan wrote:
1) Reduce size of all left-margin buttons by 10% (currently I see 9 buttons, so I would now see 10).

I got rid of the spacing between the buttons to cut down on the vertical height a bit, but more importantly I used the code I had rewritten before to allow a scrollbar to show up on smaller resolutions. So you should now be seeing a scrollbar on the left navigation. That will disappear for people on larger resolutions.

I think this addresses the problem sufficiently.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:15 am 

Yup, scrollbars are a fine solution too. Thanks Blue.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:32 pm 

blue_myriddn wrote:
sure - I welcome anyone else to take this project on.
Build it all local - zip it up and let me see what they have in mind. Or just show me sample code that has DIV tags in those functionality.

From what I understand though - it simply isn't possible to build a website with this much content without using a database to drive it.

A database is required. Apache is a free solution, but it all depends on where and how you are able or willing to host the website.

And yes DIV tags can't be used like a FRAME and be targeted for content to load within. Just don't let the internet police find out you're using FRAMES within DIV tags, unless you like being tickled with ostrich feathers. :lol:

Good luck.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:46 pm 

Trafalgar wrote:
And yes DIV tags can't be used like a FRAME and be targeted for content to load within.

how?

Actually -let me be more precise. It is very easy to set a DIV ID values and then have the A href target that ID. What isn't trivial though is to set a DIV to reference an external HTML file to use. In other words, what frames allows is:

[ navigation file ] [rotating content files]

And saves you from having to edit 90+ files any time you make a navigation change. It also prevents 90+ files from having the menu code in all of them.

I don't think that DIVs alone can solve that, I believe that a database is required. However, I most certainly could be wrong and would be more than happy to learn some new code.

Any solution that does involve some sort of database is not viable unless someone feels like doing a shit-ton of data entry.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:54 pm 

blue_myriddn wrote:
Trafalgar wrote:
And yes DIV tags can't be used like a FRAME and be targeted for content to load within.

how?

First of all what function of frames do you mean blue?

Last edited by stars on Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:56 pm 

sorry - i edited my post when I realized I wasn't exactly being clear. There is some new info in there that should specify what I am talking about

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:10 pm 

Oh ok. Yeah it's not Div's that handle that stuff, that would be from other sources.

As it's always frowned upon to use frames anymore in web design I'm not sure if the benefits out weigh the positives for you to change it. I know they're offering to do it for you, if you don't know how it works to change it in the future it might not be worth it.

However it's always nice to use html and css because you change completely change the look and feel of the site by just adding a new css file and linking to it.

But the site is already put together and you know how to change things and work with it, not sure if it's worth it to learn how to do it again.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:47 pm 

stars wrote:
I'm not sure if the benefits out weigh the positives for you to change it.

I see no benefits. DIV tags cannot accomplish what a frame can do from what I can see.

stars wrote:
I know they're offering to do it for you

They are? I missed that. I thought they were just telling me to do it differently. I would be happy to let someone do it for me.

stars wrote:
However it's always nice to use html and css because you change completely change the look and feel of the site by just adding a new css file and linking to it.

I already know this and I am already using CSS and HTML in that website. I do work for a webdesign company, we just have database programmers employed with the company who handle all the server and database maintenance, so I am unfamiliar with that technology.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:54 pm 

Frames have been outdated for about 15 years in web design. Anything you can do with frames you can do with other techniques that are better. I wouldn't recommend you start to learn new things just for this site unless you want to better yourself in web design.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:01 pm 

stars wrote:
Frames have been outdated for about 15 years in web design. Anything you can do with frames you can do with other techniques that are better.

Actually, this isn't true.
The company I work with builds financial document solutions for a mutual funds and the requirements for that project are:
[1] needs to be completely stand alone with no database shoestrings
[2] needs to be IE6 compliant.

We meet those requirements with our solution and as such we outperform our competitors.

You may say "ugg..IE6!", but the truth is that IE6 is still very prevalent in the corporate world. IE6 aside, the more important component is making a stand alone website as this is exactly what the Arimyth item website is. Outside of a back end database, there is no replacement for frames that I know of. Maybe there is something that I don't know of and I encourage people to educate me. I love being wrong when there is something to learn.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:20 pm 

Data doesn't have to come from a db, you can pull from text files just like with frames. Honestly any problem you have I could solve for you when it comes to switching from frames. But again it's a lot of work!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:21 pm 

Trafalgar wrote:

It needed emphasis because I think you misread or misunderstood that I do agree with you that DIV tags don't have the same functionality as FRAMES.

Maybe a revamp of the website is better discussed at a later less busy date.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:34 pm 

Trafalgar wrote:
It needed emphasis because I think you misread or misunderstood that I do agree with you that DIV tags don't have the same functionality as FRAMES.

Ah yep, totally missed that one. Sorry to make you repeat it just because I didn't read carefully the first time (and I even quoted it, hah!)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:03 pm 

Two handed and one handed weapon properties updated to reflect the new range values, strength multipliers and strength requirements.

Offline Profile