Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:02 pm

Post subject: Immunities
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:44 pm 

Being relatively new to HU I'm getting information that conflicts with all I have learned from vanilla. One such thing is no amount of minus res gear makes one iota of difference with the immunity in question intact. Using conviction as an example, monster has 150 res. Conviction level 20 = -150%(yes I know I'm using vanilla figures here) and conviction works at 1/5 towards breaking an immunity. 1/5th of 150%=30%. 150%-30%=120% immunity not broken, therefore -res gear is rendered ineffective. Monster res needs to be less than 99% to an element for -res to kick in, above 100% cannot be pierced by items. I hear people swearing up and down "load up on -res gear to dmg immune monsters". Am I missing something here?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Immunities
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:52 pm 

You're not missing anything, the people advising you are incorrect in this instance.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:50 pm 

2 days ago we were rolling hell baal and WSG was fire immune, Fire sorc killed him with fire bolt w/o any conv/lr. Same for first wave - fire immune killed with fire bolt/meteo, but didn't work on 3rd wave as his fire was too high. That could be some strange bug or something but well - you need to lower it to at least 99 before pierce kicks in.
I believe ddrod of furycury was playing that sorc(DPS *rage2) so you can ask as well.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:27 pm 

I guess, I need to be a bit more clear here. It has been my understanding that a monster showing as immune to an element has 110%+ resistance to that element. Which in conventional wisdom is unaffected by -x% res items. Unless the games mechanics have been altered to display an immunity at a lower figure on HU. I'm trying to understand why some people will advocate having as much -res items as possible, even though a monster displays immune to x element. If, as you say, it's a glitch of some kind then perhaps therein lies a large part of the games imbalance. It should be totally impossible to damage a monster using only -res gear if it displays as immune to x.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:39 pm 
Game Server Host

the enemy is completely immune until the immunity is broken, passive pierce works to full effect against a broken immune but has no effect against an unbroken immune. It's always been like that as far as I know.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:40 am 

Steel wrote:
2 days ago we were rolling hell baal and WSG was fire immune, Fire sorc killed him with fire bolt w/o any conv/lr. Same for first wave - fire immune killed with fire bolt/meteo, but didn't work on 3rd wave as his fire was too high. That could be some strange bug or something but well - you need to lower it to at least 99 before pierce kicks in.
I believe ddrod of furycury was playing that sorc(DPS *rage2) so you can ask as well.

Indeed. Furycury has made a topic on this himself a while back, doing the same thing with a lightning immune ice dragon. My only guess is the immunity is a display error, or having a ton of passive pierce actually breaks immunities on certain monsters. It seems the mobs it does work on are ones that are barely making the immunity, such has the magic resist mod on the WSG that Steel is talking about. I guess this is one situation where MH would be quite helpful in testing.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:12 am 
Game Server Host

I think I know the thing you are talking about. I've had it with phys immune hell glasya. Amp was allowing my to deal full effect crushing blows even though she was stone skin/pi. It seems to be a display problem. maybe someone can dig deeper on that though. It's an easy single player test. Just find fallens line in monstats.txt and raise its fire res (or whatever res) to 100+ and put 255% passive pierce to that element on a char. Play around with diff numbers over 100 and diff values of skill pierce like lr etc. (something like having lr take the enemy to exactly 100 res). Shouldn't take long

Offline Profile