Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 pm

Post subject: Catapult question
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:17 pm 

Ok I've tried running with the animations turned off to get rid of the lag which does as intended. However, then you can't see when crap is being thrown at you. Using the fix that leaves the animation the lag returns especially on Shenks Pinacle. There must be a way to leave the animations while reducing the lag effects with the animation in place. Is this possible or are we stuck with either or?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Catapult question
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:30 pm 

Consider reducing your visual effects for the few areas you're having trouble with.

1) Reduce lightning
2) No shadows
3) Use 2D

Modern graphics cards, especially cards specialized for 3D, have a lot of trouble with Diablo's sprite-based animations. I'm told that the 3D Glide Wrapper is a decent bridge for new cards to use, but I haven't tried it myself.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:37 pm 

Tried all of them. I even tried using glide wrapper for a bit. It was better, but not the answer. Another thing that gets extremely annoying is the counter lag. Give me a break. When my friend and I both see 0-3 fps during some fights it's ludicris in it's intensity. Don't tell me it's necessary to make the game more difficult. These laggy issues are the single reason I won't play HC on HU ever.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:31 am 

After running the video test, tell the system to use the 2D option. I'm not talking about adjusting the in-game's "perspective" option.

If under 2D, low lightning, non-blended shadows, your system it still struggling, then there is a problem with your system. Consider vacuuming out dust or moving any wires that are obstructing the cooling fans of your video card or motherboard. If you're using a Laptop, don't play it on a soft surface like a bed (toss a piece of stiff cardboard under it).

For comparison, I'm playing with a Netbook computer, which means that it was never intended for the high-CPU and graphics demands of games. It still plays HU without much trouble on the low settings I stated above. However, if I set it to the 3D option of the video test, then it's humorously slow in some places (e.g. the porticulus of Horragath takes like 60 seconds to pull up at like 1 frame every 1-3 seconds).

If you're still having trouble despite all this, then consider the question, "What makes my situation different from the hundreds of other guys playing." Answers to that will generally be malfunctioning hardware, corrupt installation, or playing environment.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:55 pm 

Ok I have tried all the above suggestions. For one thing I tend to clean inside my tower every 6-8 weeks since my house seems to be dusty. I was running an ASUS AH3450 video card capable of displaying videos in 1080p, it has 512mb onboard ddr2 memory, capable of 240mhz refresh in 800x600 screen size. Running glide wrapper caused some glitches with that card. I swapped back to an older Nvidia geforce4 mx 4000 with 128 ram in some areas it performs slightly better in some areas. Yes, my comp is a bit older I admit, but still. I only play in the 2D mode, even on vanilla. My CPU never excedes 45 celsius and system temp 35 on a bad day.

System specs
MSI KT4V mainboard
AMD XP2000+ cpu running at 1.76ghz
1.28 mb ram
Nvidia geforce4 mx4000 (current)
Windows XP home SP3

those are my basic spec atm.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:55 pm 

Ever tried playing in window mode? It's the only real solution I've found for having minimal lag in the problem areas. It can be a bit hard to get used to, but once you do you'll never go back to full screen.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:18 am 
Game Server Host

drrod wrote:
Ever tried playing in window mode? It's the only real solution I've found for having minimal lag in the problem areas. It can be a bit hard to get used to, but once you do you'll never go back to full screen.

This, i never play in full screen anymore. The graphics look better in windowed too.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:14 pm 

not to mention you can use msn/facebook/forums at the same time, great for time killing when others are gambling rawr

Offline Profile