Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:54 am

Post subject: Need frost nova sorc endgame gear advise
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:29 am 

Hi!

I'm building one. She's lv88, currenty wearing tal set, and I don't know with what to replace it in higher levels. Templars for armor, griffs for helm, zakarum amulet, snowclash for belt is my opinion. The question is about weapon and sockets. What do you think fathom with frost tears and infinity or ice+medusas for merc, or knowledge so merc can have insight or something? What to socket in armor/helm celestial shperes or facets? In shield soul skulls or facets?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Need frost nova sorc endgame gear advise
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:06 am 
Game Server Host

Fathom is alot better than Knowledge, if infinity cant break the immune, chances are knowledge won't either. You can always use knowledge on switch as a "just incase" weapon.

Your choice on diamonds vs facets. I would probs use diamonds simply to make better use of the counter shields that proc alot faster than you can cast on a single target boss. If you go the defensive route, then make your merc your offensive side (infinity). if you go the offensive route then you might want to use ice and medusas on your merc to do the main tanking for you.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:21 am 

Thanks for the advise! There's one more problem: poison. Wisp projector is the solution, but with it i lose 20 fcr on ring that needed for 200 breakpoint. Should I go back to lidless wall to solve it (using hhg)? Or last bp isn't necessary?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:18 pm 
Game Server Host

its nice if you can get 200fcr, but i wouldn't give up SoB for 1 extra frame cast rate. The boost from 8 frame cast to 7 frame cast is very small. The gains of 1 frame don't start getting big until you are around 5 or 4 frames per attack (can't do that with casting).

Ie. 8 frame cast is 3 casts in 24 frames (1 frame less than a second) 7 frame cast is 3 casts in 21 frames (4 frames less than a second. It's a very small jump for such a massive amount of extra fcr.

If you can hit it with lidless then thats great, Its a very under-rated shield IMO. It's up to you. Try both out and see what you like best.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:02 pm 

Ok, thanks, I'll try out both shields.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:07 pm 

You can always socket 1 or 2 amn runes in your armor or helmet to cover the necessary FCR that you lack. I like headhunters over lidless because it has 3 things over lidless:

1) better stats of each (more res, more block)
2) an extra socket to play around with. If poison is an issue, then just stick one uber emerald in there for the nice boost to poison res and PLR.
3) a very underrated 45-60 life and mana kill. This goes a real long way when youre going around killing many enemies. It can counter the poison pretty well, especially if youre killing at a fast rate (like most sorcs do when geared well).

The wisp is no doubt a great ring, but usually someone else in the party can wear one if there is no source of SOB from a druid.

I enjoy the 200 fcr on my lightning sorc. With the normal end game gear that everyone wears on sorcs, youre usually already at 180 or so fcr. The one socket for an amn rune isnt that big of a deal. My sorc uses HHG and then has one socket in the griffs and gets to 200 fcr, the rest being filled with 6/6 facets. Shes a bit fragile but shes a lot of fun and tears things to shreds. But lidless can work too... it's great, but im just not a huge fan of the decrep proc, especially if youre merc wears medusas for slow and lower resist, or if youre in a party with a necro casting curses. You can also just keep your cube with you and put other gear in there for certain situations, like keeping the wisp in there for when you are coming to an area with alot of poison or curses (like moloch), or keeping the thirst for knowledge orb in there for an immune guy that ice or infinity doesnt break. Mine uses fathom btw as well for the reasons purerage said... gear pierce is better for immunes that are broken by your merc (because skill pierce still works at 1/5th effectiveness even after an immunity is broken), and the %pierce from the conviction on TFK isnt as much as 3 uber gems in fathom... that gets you 61% total.

Offline Profile