Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 pm

Post subject: Viable Sorc build for solo edition?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:02 pm 

I was wondering if there are any viable Sorceress builds for singleplayer in this mod. All the bosses seem to have significant resistances to one or more element even in Normal, and some have elemental immunities as well (red/white dragons, amon, et al.)

Conviction isn't an option until around level 75 (from some high-level runewords) and a level 1 lower resist (from charges on a wand) doesn't seem like it would help much. If anyone has any suggested builds--just the focal skills; I don't need a detailed outline of stats and skill points--that would be excellent. If there aren't any viable solo Sorc builds, that's fine also, as I'm currently enjoying my other solo chars. The mod was designed with multiplayer in mind, so that would make sense.

Not looking for anything overpowered, but simply a build that can get through normal and nightmare difficulties.

I am the captain of my soul.

-William Ernest Henley

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Viable Sorc build for solo edition?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:25 pm 
Game Server Host

Try a frost nova sorc, you get amazing def and MDR/PDR (if you go all diamonds in equip). You can cap your dr% pretty easily and your cold shields will deal massive damage to attackers while you take very very little damage from anything (like thorns but safer). For cold immunes use a cb weap with ameths in it and a ctc amp weapon on switch (with ameths). Put remaining points in chant for the AR buff. (1 point it ASAP though)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm 

Thanks for the advice :). That sounds like a very interesting build unlike any of the other sorc builds I have heard of in vanilla D2 (single element, or dual element like meteorb and cl/orb, etc.) I'll definitely have to give that a try.

-William Ernest Henley

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:34 pm 
Game Server Host

Its really effective on bosses (the ice shields). If you load up on diamonded equip you can actually just stand next to nm lazarus and he will kill himself with your shield counters (diablo too but you will probs need a few reds). Obviously you will want a melee setup in the stash or cube for imune bosses. you usualy know when they are coming though (ice dragon, Amon, Glasya, etc.) Lifeleech shouldnt be a problem as all the PDR/MDR and big def will mean you take very little damage.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:01 pm 

That sounds quite good ^_^. Regarding the melee setup for dealing with cold immune bosses (and Duriel)--are there other options besides the sceptre from grizwold's set? I was thinking that some low level runewords and a few uniques (crushflange, the gnasher, ribcracker) available at low to mid levels also have cb, but the mace and axe would be pretty slow on a sorc.

Perhaps a fast weapon with ctc amp damage socketed with amethysts combined with cb from gloves and boots would be best? Seems like that would kill two birds with one stone and refridgerate them as well :D

-William Ernest Henley

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:03 am 
Game Server Host

yeh, mybe some death craft hammers with ameths late game. you will be best using a flail more than likely though for the speed.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:10 am 

^That makes a lot of sense. I'll try to gamble a flail with ctc amp damage, and get the Goblin Toe boots for cb against Duriel. The former shouldn't be too difficult, but about the latter I'm not sure of how easy that will be in Act II normal.

-William Ernest Henley

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:34 am 

Gamble the boots too. They're not very likely at all to drop in A2.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:00 pm 
Game Server Host

I've had them from thrack before I think. Just craft some blood gloves (a perf ruby is easy by the end of a2).

You shouldn't need cb for duriel, deaths set will get you past him. Clegs will work too.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:43 pm 

Thanks for the advice. I'll try gambling the boots also for highly cold resistant or immune bosses. Better to gamble them earlier than later when the costs increase with levels.

I usually have a couple flawless gems by the end of act II and a lot of extra gold; so getting a perfect ruby to craft decent blood gloves wouldn't be too much of a problem.

-William Ernest Henley

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:08 pm 

-Update-
Your advice was spot on, PureRage. Full cleglaw's set combined with armor socketed with 4 diamonds (1 flawless, 3 standard) made very short work of Duriel. Doesn't seem like I'll be needing the goblin toe boots, but

I was wondering what weapon I should try to get for mid to end game. I'm currently using a Storm runeword staff that originally had +3 to frost nova, resulting in +9 to that skill, along with a total of +6 to frozen armor. The only thing the staff lacks is cold pierce and fcr. Between now and whenever I'm lucky enough to get a Lo rune (probably late nightmare or early hell), is there anything I should look for as a replacement?

-William Ernest Henley

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:16 pm 
Game Server Host

you will want to switch to a high fcr setup with an orb and shield around act 4-5. Running seal bosses will yield the level 40 sorc orb, just put 2 p saphs in that. Then a spirit shield, magefists, hevenly garb (diamonded if you get an x socket by then), naj's circlet (3 p diamonds). Lenymo is obviously the only real choice belt wise. waterwalks at level 50 for the pierce and life/dex. that will get yu over the second to last fcr breakpoint if you can find a decent 20 fcr ring.

With a melee setup in cube you will be all good :)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:02 pm 

Thank you for the advice. I was messing around a bit with crafting earlier, and got the following:

Would this be a better option than Naj's circlet if I socketed it with 4 perfect diamonds (or perhaps starstone, if I waited a couple levels past the lvl requirement)? The only downside is that it ended up with +2 fire instead of +2 cold skills.

-William Ernest Henley

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:15 pm 
Game Server Host

yeh i would use that

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:35 am 

Splendid, thanks again for your help. Just need to find the Ether Eye orb... I found it once with my sorc if I recall correctly, but sold it, thinking that my staff was better.

-William Ernest Henley

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:10 pm 

PureRage-DoD wrote:
Try a frost nova sorc, you get amazing def and MDR/PDR (if you go all diamonds in equip). You can cap your dr% pretty easily and your cold shields will deal massive damage to attackers while you take very very little damage from anything (like thorns but safer). For cold immunes use a cb weap with ameths in it and a ctc amp weapon on switch (with ameths). Put remaining points in chant for the AR buff. (1 point it ASAP though)

Wow. i was juggeling around wit a rabies druid that i converted on a swave druid/ rabies from brevan character ideas which was nice to play but actualy the character it self dont fit my playstyle.

BUT! that fnova/melee version sounds so goddamn Hot kev. i need to test this out. but on the other hand im not very good at creating non cokie cutter build haha so if you could share some of your experience that be very handy: maybe a few items that made that possible i know you mentioned CB wit ameth weapon n things like that but will this be obtained in a rare swords for instance ? and also the order you went for skills it so helpfull to be lighted up on seomthing that works and then i may play with it a little to my liking anyway i know this post is like 7years old so hopefully you remember the way you did that haha :D

if any1 else that ead this and made something similar feel free to post i dont only listen to kev's words hehe thx every1 :D

Offline Profile