Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:25 am

Post subject: Diamonds
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:29 pm 

Are making the mid/low level uniques/armors/runeswords USELESS. This doesn't really need discussion, I don't feel the need to tell you why and I'm sure there will plenty of others to do that for me. Perhaps changing them to life regen/mana regen would be better. As it stands, rubies feel like the end all. An example, my druid currently has a 20% fhr with 3 resists armor, 4 pdiamonds. Earlier I found a 30% fhr life perlevel, and 3 resists that were higher than that. I vendored it because I didn't have 2 quads and some diamonds to use... (you can say blahblahblah you could have farmed that, but it's hardly the point.) Another example, UniqueXYZ vs Cracked breast plate with 4 diamonds, the diamonds are probably better. :(

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Diamonds
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:44 pm 

I guess I'm in the minority when I say Diamonds are fine.

You're making a choice. Socketing up your armors and such with Diamonds decreases your offensive capabilities. Especially early game where +max damage jewels are amazing to have in armor for any melee character.
With casters, it's a choice between having great mana (which is hard to do w/o socketed sapphires early game) and having great defense.

Socketing with Diamonds also takes away from socketing for Str/Dex, thus making you have to get those points else where. I really don't see the problem, I find the decision to be pretty balanced as far as what you give up. Socketed rares and crafts have always been better than low level uniques for the most part and that's due to the amount of twinking or farming it requires.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:16 pm 

my level 54 4k damage fury druid with 35 str in a5 with 6 diamonds still has plenty of strength to swing around his warclub with his 10giggillion dr/mdr

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:26 pm 

drithe123 wrote:
my level 54 4k damage fury druid with 35 str in a5 with 6 diamonds still has plenty of strength to swing around his warclub with his 10giggillion dr/mdr

I would say that is more a problem of strength charms and other no point invested strength boosts on items than a problem with diamonds.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:18 pm 

i might get 20 str from my charms? in fact i recently muled a bunch off and replaced them with life charms, i'd say a -20 req jewel and 2 amethysts are doing all the work.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:52 pm 

6 x 9 perf diamonds = 54/54 MDR PDR

In contrast 6 x perf rubies would give you +96 vit and +54% life. I suspect that would give quite a boost to a druid running oak.

In contrast 6 x perf amethysts would give you +96 str which translates in to an additional 288% off weapon dmg boost which I imagine is not inconsiderable for your fast attacking fury. That is roughly equivalent to the damage boost you get from running a lvl20 Heart of the Wolverine.

So you are giving up a decent amount by using those diamonds. I am fine with that type of give and take. There is no doubt about it though, using a setup that gives you 8 open sockets will make for a very powerful character.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:07 pm 
Game Server Host

the only thing is. Having 54% life does not makeyou immune almost immune to bosses aoe spells (eg. cold dragon and most of baals minions) Neither does having 288%off weapon ed.

Just 3 perf diamonds in najs circlet and one in a unique armour cuts damage being done to you in half, if not more. Then dr% cuts that by even more.

IDK but from what i've seen personally, using diamonds is far far greater than rubys, ameths or emeralds etc. in norm and through most of nm also. My f nova sorc only had 2.5k life and was able to tank nm diablo solo and not have to fall back once. I highly doubt using rubys would have yielded the same results.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:20 pm 

spell damage has dropped THAT low that 27 MDR/PDR is making that big of a difference? That means that these bosses are only doing on the order of 30-40 dmg per frame?

Back in this topic we had been ballparking about 50 dmg per frame as an estimate:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=534

Is the prevalence of Healers helping things out? Healers and MDR go EXTREMELY well together.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:30 pm 
Game Server Host

27 MDR/PDR is cutting that 50damage per frame in half(well slightly more).
Then theres dr% resand absorbs tofactor in after that.

On Nm diablo I used disciple set and a rare circlet with 2 amns in the helmand 6 ms diamonds in the sockets. The MDR/PDR on the set, then added from diamonds (+ massive def boost) then max res. I didnt even need to use dwarf stars. If you use diamonds you can be almost invulnerable to all trash and bosses (excluding chargers and ancients).

Diablo was hilarious using diamonds. The sorcs counter shields ended up killing him after half way as I ran outa mana and didnt want to drink juvs for mana lmao.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:25 pm 

WE should keep in mind not to speak about tweeked chars. To trully test anything you need to be untweeked.Running Diciples set in nm at Diablo means that char is tweeked reason i say that you can't get that armor till hell because its a elite item and starts to drop in a3 hell.
I like Diamonds the way they are but i can see Drithe's point.
And Blue whats you bitch about str charms i don't get your reason at all with them there is nothing op with them at all and if you get rid of them only thing thats going to do is hert caster builds. Casters like to have life to just like barbs and droods and casters will never get the insane life that barbs and droods get. So taking str charms away will only make more problems.
There is way to much nerfing and buffing going on and not enough testing now thats the real problem.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:56 pm 
Game Server Host

she was twinked but I could have used any crafted armour with 4 diamonds in and 4 diamondsin the helm at that point. It dont matter how much damage you lose since there is nothing that can really hurt you, including bosses

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:01 pm 

Okay then what we need to look at is is it the Def boost there or the high Dmg reduction and magic reduction thats working.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:13 pm 
Game Server Host

a bit of both, she was up at 50k def with her own buffs, and i could have used a shield like orphans and achieved max block easily too but I was using a staff. The problem was, the build (using diamonds) was dealing like 4 times the DPS to bosses due to the counter skills. On lazarus for example, I just sat in his face and didnt attack (blood mana) while 7-8 counters flew off me every second for the same damage my fnova was doing. It kinda made for awhole new build, dedicated to negating all damage and having bosses kill themselves. It worked through nm a5 too and iendedup stripping her in hell and giving her gear to edds sorc to wtf pwn bosses without fear. You can also use it on a cb sorc and kill bosses insanely fast with cb while taking very little damage in return from counters LOL.

The main problem is being able to get so much MDR/PDR at level 66 (act 2 nm).
I think uber diamonds are not too bad since they have a level 88 req. However MS and lower are all too much.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:01 pm 

K then we should look at the lvl's of these gems. Instead of moons being lvl 66 if i'm wrong sry make them lvl 77 and stars lvl 66 and Perfects 55.
That would make a big impact. It also would tame there drop rate and tweek in turms of crafting godly ass low lvl gear.
In no way shape or form should be able to craft a lvl 25 blood craft with 12 str 6 LL 120 to life ex..

Offline Profile