Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:25 pm

Should I unlock Hanayaka ?
Yes 62%  62%  [ 23 ]
No 38%  38%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 37
 Post subject: Should I unlock Hanayaka ?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:39 am 
Site Admin

Since he gave some info about his config and was (apparently) not running MH, should I give him a chance ?

On a side note, I am currently working to get HUGuard back up. Had some problems with it ... CPU usage went up to 100% in some case, bringing my dedicated server on his knee which I cannot affort since I am hosting many corporate websites/emails/etc. Be aware that it could be turned on at any moment next week. An announcement on the realm will be made before starting it.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Should I unlock Hanayaka ?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:45 am 

Thanks for making the poll. I won't be voting in it, but I wanted to post a link to the thread so people knew all the details.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1257

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:54 am 

Is there any other place that states what is and is not allowed other than in Blue_Myriddn's thread (which was posted after this ban happened)? I'm new (my 2nd day) and had absolutely no idea what HU Guard was until I asked in realm. It was not connecting either (but now I know exactly what it does and why it is not working).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:20 am 
Game Server Host

I voted no.
1: its not hard to change the config settings then post the changed ones up AFTER the ban was implemented.
2: using a progrem that shows sockets on items etc. gives an advantage to that player. Ie. If they are playing in a team and clearing areas. The rest of the group cant see the number of sockets an item has. This gives an advantage to the player using it and means they can grab things as soon as they drop and know that it is what they need. other players dont have this option.
3: I don't buy the "I get lag in tundra" bit as I have already provided edits that everyone is free to use that gets rid of the lag culprits (catapults missiles and screen shake)
4: The fact that he admitted he had revealed the map "while i was trying to get it to work" just proves that he knew exactly how to do it and there is nothing stopping him doing it again in the future.

If there is no punishment for someone using this kind of thing then there is nothing to deter other people from using this too. Perhaps unban the IP but leave the account locked IMO. There should be some consiquence. Even this is not fool proof as he can just carry on using this program when he is unbanned. Im trying to find a way around it but I have no patience for this sort of thing.
Sorry Hanayaka.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:34 am 

PureRage-DoD wrote:
I voted no.
1: its not hard to change the config settings then post the changed ones up AFTER the ban was implemented.
2: using a progrem that shows sockets on items etc. gives an advantage to that player. Ie. If they are playing in a team and clearing areas. The rest of the group cant see the number of sockets an item has. This gives an advantage to the player using it and means they can grab things as soon as they drop and know that it is what they need. other players dont have this option.
3: I don't buy the "I get lag in tundra" bit as I have already provided edits that everyone is free to use that gets rid of the lag culprits (catapults missiles and screen shake)
4: The fact that he admitted he had revealed the map "while i was trying to get it to work" just proves that he knew exactly how to do it and there is nothing stopping him doing it again in the future.

If there is no punishment for someone using this kind of thing then there is nothing to deter other people from using this too. Perhaps unban the IP but leave the account locked IMO. There should be some consiquence. Even this is not fool proof as he can just carry on using this program when he is unbanned. Im trying to find a way around it but I have no patience for this sort of thing.
Sorry Hanayaka.

No hard feelings.

Your edits have significantly improved my machine's performance and I appreciate them. I can solo tundra perfectly fine with them, but still run into severe problems when a javazon or convictor joins the team. I end up 4 screens back from the group by the time my display isn't locked up. Anyway that is beside the point and I don't want to derail. I appreciate your input.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:57 am 

I think he posted the configuration and screenshot yesterday, long before he was banned, not after.

UmphreysMcgee wrote:
Is there any other place that states what is and is not allowed other than in Blue_Myriddn's thread (which was posted after this ban happened)?

:o

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:20 am 
Game Server Host

Yeh its just my opinion, im only 1 person. Hopefully this wont be a problem once the new AH is up and running

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:58 am 

As I commented on that thread:

Hanayaka wrote:

I wouldnt ban him, just the warning and temporary lock he's suffering should be fine and enough. Also, the public warning thread wasnt posted yet, an , lets face it, a newcomer doesnt rly know if maphacking is really allowed or not ( I've played some mods. with MH allowed )

voting: "yep"

PureRage-DoD wrote:
there is nothing stopping him doing it again in the future.

It is, in my opinion:

"Warning If you hack again, your accs will be locked permanently "

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:24 am 

I vote no. I see no reason to unlock the account. He cheated and that aint allowed. Ignorance doesn't make it right. It's not hard to notice that hacks/cheats aren't allowed here.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:09 am 

Nope
Utter's post is truth
As well as it takes a grand fucking total of two minutes to hop into a game, and before you press (-) screenshot the map and then copy and paste the config and change one number.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:14 am 

Just give him a suspension, week or two or whatever. Now he knows and once AH is up that is that.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:39 am 

Lets take a look at this. Clearly he wasn't abusing it, or had any intentions of using functions that revealed the map. He was upfront about it, he posted everything it could do, and everything he did. He has been a nice guy about it. Not once have I seen him get upset or pissed off. I think banning him is pretty ridiculous.

Even if it did give him an advantage of seeing socketed items fall and know how many it had before it dropped? Seriously? Thats the crappiest advantage I've ever heard of in my life.

I don't want this to be like battle.net where they see, oh you used a hack. Banned no questions asked (I realize this post is a question to lift ban, but you get the point). The player base is small enough so that anyone can tell if another player has an advantage or is cheating. I don't think we need HU Guard or Anti Hack to be able to tell us that. Honestly, I would rather ban people for being assholes and idiots than using hacks.

Even with maphack and socket knowledge and whatever other hacks someone might have on. I seriously doubt that they would be able to do things better/faster than my crew. Advantage is only a matter of perception.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:42 am 

Most hackers won't admit to using it and being as upfront as Hanayaka, that speaks to his character. I would rather have him in the community than out of it.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:34 am 

Blue is right. Many of the hackers in any gaming community will refuse to admit to having cheated in any shape or form. But from what I do see, and having read every single statement in here, at least he has admitted to the cheating. He shouldn't be banned on a permanent basis, however; that's just my opinion.

I voted yes, because antihack will be on soon and everyone will be complaining why they can't use their "enhancements".

(P.S. @Blue: The statement about hacks not being allowed should've been a golden rule from the start!)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:32 pm 
Game Server Host

At the very least, leave the account locked until the AH is up and running. Anyone who has been on the realm more than a week knows that hacks are not allowed.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:21 pm 

NewBastige wrote:
(P.S. @Blue: The statement about hacks not being allowed should've been a golden rule from the start!)

Ya, we had a sticky on it at the old forum I think and just didn't repost it here. mea culpa

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:05 pm 

Yes..

anyone notice the hardcore guys are ready to burn him at the stake?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:30 pm 
Game Server Host

we have zero tolerance on the red team. We get through the game with 1 life and no hacks. unlimited lifes is help enough IMO. We can also PK people who use this kinda thing and they cant just rejoin. That kinda puts people off going against the rules on hc when people know we dont like it.

Im not saying nobody on hc uses hacks, for all i know there could be some people who do. They hide it well if they do though.
Thats another reason I like HC so much, we can take matters into our own hands and dish out punishments if someone is stealing/ruining games, etc. etc.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:40 pm 

sighhhh Im gonna take wrap for this and its bs because I don't maphack.. and I won't maphack but stings is undetectable(verified by sources other than me so stop thinking it...)by the current AH so it really won't matter if thats back up or not

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:58 pm 
Game Server Host

its not the current AH thats going up, duff is re-writing it and im sure it will be alot more secure. It would be seriously godly if he could write something that would scan the whole realm and auto ban IP's if a hack is detected. Then randomly put it up without warning :mrgreen:

I would have "DuFFBeeR" tattoo'd on my ass if he could do that :lol:

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:08 pm 

WolfStar wrote:
Just give him a suspension, week or two or whatever. Now he knows and once AH is up that is that.

I like this idea. A few weeks locked account for simple MH, maybe account locked permanently(but still allowed to make a new account and play) for GM, big exploits(flamebellow bug, etc), and the nastier 3rd party programs(chicken, AA, pickit, WP hostile, etc). A "permanent" IP ban for hosts abusing their servers would be just I'd think. Of course catching cheaters isn't an easy task, but it'd be nice to know there are penalties if you do get caught.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:39 pm 

Sugarbean wrote:
Yes..

anyone notice the hardcore guys are ready to burn him at the stake?

I find that amusing as well. ;) Reminds me of the Salem Witch Trials.

I don't get why people are so eager to persecute others for offenses they may or may have not even committed. We all make mistakes, whether you choose to admit it or not. Forgiveness is a great thing.

You guys already know my opinion. My vote is yes. The offense isn't that bad in my opinion. Whether he was using MH or not, which we cannot prove. All we have is his word. A verbal warning and a reminder to the community that hacking is prohibited would suffice.

Before this whole issue, a few days earlier I was rushing some guys on normal. 3 of the 4 people being rushed had MH on. Two were relatively new to HU, one had played in the past. I kind of knew 2 of them hacked before they even told me, because they were telling me which ways were the places we had to go. They asked me if I wanted them to tell me which ways to and I told them "hacking isn't allowed here, can get you banned if you get caught. not to mention hacking diminishes the challenge of the game for yourself.". They told me they didn't know and they would uninstall it, and I left it at that.

The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the souls tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore the soul deceive, despise and murder men.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:27 pm 

And the odds of those three uninstalling the hacks are non existant. As in the rest of life, ignorance doesn't make it right. Then anyone can just say "Oh, I didn't know" once they get called out. Zero tolerance is the only route, delete the accounts asap. And for gods sake, don't let the real bad apples back on since they have proven time and time again, once a cheater always a cheater.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:10 pm 

I gotta vote for unban him but keep his account locked/deleted.

Locking someone's current accounts they've put numerous hours into is enough of a punishment for a first offense. Banning them entirely should go to second time offenders and mass offenders.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:10 pm 

DuFFBeeR wrote:
Since he gave some info about his config and was (apparently) not running MH, should I give him a chance ?

On a side note, I am currently working to get HUGuard back up. Had some problems with it ... CPU usage went up to 100% in some case, bringing my dedicated server on his knee which I cannot affort since I am hosting many corporate websites/emails/etc. Be aware that it could be turned on at any moment next week. An announcement on the realm will be made before starting it.

Fuck no.

You need to make examples out of people. You have glaring evidence and if you tread lightly then you wont set precedence.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:29 am 

I'd say unban the ip. but lock the account as a warning/punishment. The truth is, since I've played this mod for about 8 months, I've had at least 5 people asking in public games and in /f m if maphack is allowed or not. Apparently, there are some people that don't know. And yes, I've heard (but not witnessed) map hack is allowed or at least not discouraged in one other mod.

I downloaded the hero editor a while back for single player and discovered each rar contains the maphack .exe. The word "hack" kind of tipped me off not to use this tool and you would think it would also deter others. Still, there was no warning, no posted statement about not using tools to help with lag. Also, I had no idea until recently, that there was even a sanctioned tool, approved by you to get rid of screen shaking and catapult missile lag and I frequent the board.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:27 pm 

LmT wrote:
Fuck no.

You need to make examples out of people. You have glaring evidence and if you tread lightly then you wont set precedence.

And yet you remain unbanned from this community despite your past cheating.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:12 pm 

blue_myriddn wrote:
LmT wrote:
Fuck no.

0wn3d.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:52 pm 

Not to detract from subject of the post, but who is LMT known as in HU, what are his characters' name?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:13 pm 

I firmly believe in a zero tolerance stance against hacks. While I do believe that hanayaka was not using stings to reveal the map, he was still using a maphack program to modify his game to gain an advantage. Theres no grey area when it comes to hacking. You either used the program or you didn't. Would suck to lose a well spoken good mannered member of the community when we keep plenty of incumbent assholes because they are well known members.

I'd vote no on sheer principle...because it shows others that they cannot use a hack and feign ignorance in the future.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:28 pm 

blue_myriddn wrote:
LmT wrote:
Fuck no.

That's besides the point. Jim/Terry should have made an example out of me and never unbanned me.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:44 pm 

The once a cheater always a cheater thing doesn't always apply there chief.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:40 pm 

hunterAS wrote:

Bullshit, once you are that fucked up moraly there aint nothing that stops you from doing it again.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:44 pm 

There are a few things that go over the top, and saying that somebodies morals are so completely fucked up because they use mh for an online game is one of them. By no means is it right, however its by no means an indication of fucked up morals.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:54 pm 

reply terminated

Last edited by NewBastige on Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:55 pm 

hunterAS wrote:

Actually - I think it still applies and is a universal concept. The question is whether Hanayka set out to cheat with a maphack. I don't see anything to indicate that he was using the program for any reason other than he stated.

In the land of video games, cheating is like smoking. People "quit" all the time. Sure there are exceptions to that rule, but not very many.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:57 pm 

haha i love the analogy.
I only revealed 3 acts this week and none for 2 days! im done for good this time!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:51 pm 

So i still cheat?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:06 pm 

hunterAS wrote:
So i still cheat?

Lets put it this way, I most certainly enjoy gaming with you and would party you any day of the week. I wouldn't trust you to host a game server though just like I wouldn't trust a past smoker to hold on to a pack of cigarettes for me.

Hope that doesn't come across to harsh.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:26 pm 

Thats understandable but I played with u and lorek quite a bit and I sincerely hope u didn't have suspicions of me because I most definately do not cheat...

but back on point rage just quit.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:30 pm 

hunterAS wrote:
Thats understandable but I played with u and lorek quite a bit and I sincerely hope u didn't have suspicions of me because I most definately do not cheat...

nope, I personally can vouch that you weren't using maphack (because we kept getting damn lost) or godmode (because your fire sorc kept dying :P )

hunterAS wrote:
but back on point rage just quit.

I think that is like hoping that taking a shower will get rid of herpes.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:33 pm 
Game Server Host

Stop dancing around the point and just ask me to fuck you both up the ass instead of flirting with me.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:24 pm 

PureRage-DoD wrote:
Stop dancing around the point and just ask me to fuck you both up the ass instead of flirting with me.

God sometimes I love you. :D

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:13 am 

WolfStar wrote:
PureRage-DoD wrote:

God sometimes I love you. :D

Sounds like PureRage when fishing for fags and managed to find one. You 2 want to get a room? Looks like PureTroll-DoD has managed to make this thread about him too. What's up with that?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:04 am 
Game Server Host

Erm, you are the one who was trolling fag. What happened to ignoring me anyway idiot? im sick of reading your shit, so fuck off and die.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:05 am 

Just remember Rage a murderer or a rapist will get more news coverage when they die than when u die...

so run off into a corner and just speed up the process already because no one cares... really... could not care less

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:23 am 
Game Server Host

you seem to care enough to keep posting fool. lmao

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:13 pm 

hunterAS wrote:
Just remember Rage a murderer or a rapist will get more news coverage when they die than when u die...

so run off into a corner and just speed up the process already because no one cares... really... could not care less

Hahaha, and you will? Everyone cares for you posting as little as anyone else. xD

Also: It's YOU. Y-O-U. You can manage the extra letters I hope.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:40 am 

Also I wonder how people can know which unidentified items dropping from monsters are worth picking up... I don't mean uniques/sets but stuff like charms, jewels, eth/non-eth... What kind of third-party can do this ? Maphack, something else ?

It struck me how so many people seem to know unidentified items' properties. While I understand it's not very fun to pick up and identify items, I can't really blame them for this, I wonder what other features this 3rd party could have.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:04 pm 

Tsume wrote:
Also I wonder how people can know which unidentified items dropping from monsters are worth picking up... I don't mean uniques/sets but stuff like charms, jewels, eth/non-eth... What kind of third-party can do this ? Maphack, something else ?

Ehm... maybe:
a) No room in the inventory
b) I let my team partner/s get some drops, and not looting everything
c) you are not always pressing "alt", so you are not always searching for charms in the floor ; you miss them
d) Occasional lazyness
e) more options which does NOT concern hacks

Offline Profile