Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:28 am

Post subject: Horrible frame rate in Vista
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:21 am 

Just wondering if anyone might know why I have such a horrible frame rate. I just started playing again after about 3 years and my frame rate actually seems worse on my new computer than on my old one.

I have a quad core gateway with 4gb ram and ATI radeon 4600 series video card. I have vista 64 bit as my OS. I know it's not the best but I didn't think I'd have issues with diablo 2. I know it's video lag I'm getting. I run /fps and it shows me around 60 fps when I'm alone, but then drops to 2-7 fps when I run with a party.

My drivers are fully updated on my card and I'm always up to date on windows updates, so I really don't know what else to do.

I'm obviously not the best with computers so if anyone has any ideas on how I could fix this they would be much appreciated.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Horrible frame rate in Vista
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:54 pm 

are playing fullscreen or window mode

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:57 pm 
Game Server Host

My fps only really drops against the odd boss. I run vista on a pretty basic laptop. Can handle full screen 3d mode without any major fps drops though i usualy play windowed to make switching loaders easier when self partying.

try runing the vid test and set it to 2d. If that dont work run it in windowed mode.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:42 pm 

I'm playing full screen 3d mode.

Oh well, guess I'll just have to deal with it.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:54 pm 
Game Server Host

run vid test and change to 2d mode. its not much better in 3d anyway and 2d is alot easier on your comp

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:03 pm 

try to run it in XPSp2 compatibility, also check disable visual themes(?) and desktop
to do this right click on d2 executable -> properties -> compat tab
I'm on win7 and using glide wrapper, never below 60fps. cpu/gpu almost like yours.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:01 pm 

I have no problems using Vista, but I have 32-bit version and dual 2GHz processor. The video board is an ATI Mobility Radeon and for playing solo I hardly get video lag.

Maybe if I played multiplayer for once.. :P

If you're having trouble with the graphics, redo the video test as said above and select 2D.

I'm not quite the techie here as well, so whatever might work on yours might/might not work on mine o.O

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:20 pm 

Ok, I tried what you said Steel. I've noticed that while running in full screen mode I have horrible fps. I tried it using loader and also from HU.bat. I get the same results when running full screen. However, when I run in windowed mode using loader, I get awesome fps. It stays between 160-200 fps and sometimes dips to around 100 fps in heavy areas. This is great but the problem with playing windowed mode using loader is that the window is so tiny.

I tried running in windowed mode using HU.bat, but when I make a shortcut for it and add -w it still won't run in window mode. I'm not sure if I'm doing this right. Anyone have any suggestions on how to run in window mode using the HU.bat file to load the game? If not I guess I'll just stick with window mode using loader as that seems to be my best frame rate.

Oh, one more thing, I tried using the glide wrapper also. This only worked for me while using loader. Diablo2 just wouldn't respond when I tried using it with HU.bat. I also tried the settings you gave me to use Steel. That was the only way I got the glide wrapper to work, but as I said, it only worked with loader.

Ultimately it seems to me that the best way to run the game is in windowed mode. So, if I can get window mode to run using HU.bat, I think that would be the best solution. Any tips on how to do this would be awesome. I'd like to get this done and actually be able to play the game lol.

Thanks again for all the help guys.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:33 pm 
Game Server Host

you can run in windowed mode np, just add -direct -txt at the end as well as the -w. (On the loader) that will let the 1.21z files work propperly and be playable in windowed mode.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:39 pm 

Yeah, that's what I've been doing and it works well, but the window is just too small to play in. Is there any way to maximize the window while playing in window mode? I don't think I can do that with loader but maybe I can if I get HU.bat to run in window mode?

I know I can run normal diablo2 like that now, but I think that's because of the new patch. I guess we're just stuck with a small window since we still use 1.10 and can't use the -nofixaspect command.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:42 pm 
Game Server Host

i never managed to make the window bigger myself, I got used to a small window and prefer the graphics when its played in a small window. A little bigger would be great though

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:43 pm 

Also, use a glide wrapper. Your fps will be a lot better in general. If you have a high end card you may want to enable the vsync option in there so you are not drawing 1k fps. Usually this will cap it out at 60-75.

http://www.svenswrapper.de/english/downloads.html

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:58 pm 

Well, I was trying it with and without the glide wrapper. It really doesn't seem to make a difference. The only difference I'm seeing is that playing full screen, with or without the glide wrapper, is terrible compared to playing windowed mode.

I see 60 fps full screen until I get action on the screen, then it dips to around 3 fps at times. However, in window mode I'm seeing a consistent 160-200 and it dips to around 100 fps at it's worst.

I just wish there was a way to play in window mode with it maximized.

Guess I'm just gonna have to stick to using loader and playing in window mode. I've been trying different things all day and this seems to be the best solution.

Thanks again to everyone who tried to help.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:49 pm 

Which wrapper are you using by chance? Is it Sven's or another one? It shouldn't have to use loader to get it to work. I've never used loader. And did you run the video test and change it to glide? If you type /fps on the video line it will say Glide er something similar in the upper right. Otherwise I suggest using Rage's comment and switch to 2d vs 3d.

Edit. Also test the glide wrapper. It should give you a frame rate mark. It isn't quite what you will get in game from my experience, but gives a good idea.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:32 am 

Yeah I used Sven's.

I also run fps in game and it says glide at the top.

I just tried loading it again and for some reason it worked this time, using the HU.bat file. However, I'm still only getting 60 fps. Seems to be the same problem, I just get low fps while in full screen mode. I'm still having big spikes that drop me down to low fps, so I'm gonna try playing throughout the day with it and see if it makes any kind of real difference.

Hopefully this will be better than the tiny window from loader.

Thanks again.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:26 pm 

frame can also be with ur isp if im not mistaken say maybe if u have changed isp's in the time u have been away

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:20 pm 

Do you have a different video card you can slap in your machine? Even if it's an older card. This may help to isolate what is going on. It sounds like your card forces a vsync when in full screen for some reason. This does happen with some newer cards. My friend has a really hefty card and it won't let him go above 60 fps either. I, with a lower end card, have to turn vsync on to tone it down a bit...and 60 fps is really all that you need...assuming it would fookin stay there (D2 is 25 fps by default, and you cannot change this in SP mode).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:54 pm 

No, I don't have a different card. I have ATI on board video, I could use that if I just disabled my card. I have no idea how to do anything with Vsync though.

You're right, if I could get 60 fps WITHOUT dropping to 1fps with a lot of activity, I'd be in heaven. Showing me 60 fps does no good if it doesn't happen when you really need it.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:32 am 

if you're using glide wrapper add -3dfx at the end of command line(after -direct -txt). Also disable AA/AF etc. in CCC panel. Somehow updating ATI drivers always switch AA to 16x for me :)
Quote:
No, I don't have a different card. I have ATI on board video, I could use that if I just disabled my card. I have no idea how to do anything with Vsync though.
open CCC, go to 3D tab, select "all" and there is "wait for vertical sync" option, just drag it to the left. If it doesnt help, use RivaTuner.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:38 pm 

OK, just did all of that.

I disabled Adaptive Anti-Aliasing too, but now when I go to play my color is all messed up in game. It just looks fried. Pretty sure this is coming from disabling AA/AF/AAA.

Not sure if there's anything else I should be doing to make this work right.

Update:
OMG I think we've DONE IT!!!

I just enabled all of that stuff again but left the -3dfx in the command line and VOILA!!!! I now have 200 fps while full screen. It dips to around 80 or so with some activity but that's FINE BY ME!!!

OK, I'm happy now. Thanks a ton for all of the help guys, took a couple days but we got it working right.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:44 am 

Zippiddeefookindoodah!! :D glad ya got it workin!

Offline Profile