Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:00 am

Post subject: Map bug
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:27 am 

Hi all, just wondering if anyone can help me with an issue I'm having.

Sometimes when I enter a new game, my map will be explored in certain places, like it was the map from another game. However, if I try to go to a point on that map, it won't be there. Like, in black marsh, if I see the tower going to countess, I'll go there but it's not there. Then, if I go find the tower, it will display on my map, so now I have two towers showing on my map.

I must have done something wrong on the install for this to be happening, any help is much appreciated.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Map bug
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:07 pm 

You didnt install the past patch from hell unleashed, 1.21z.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:24 pm 

Uhh, yes, that's exactly what I did. Full install of 1.21z

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:34 pm 

Did you install 1.21 first? Keep in mind that 1.21z and the similarly named patches are just updates on that main version, they just include some updates to runewords and a couple other things.

Perhaps run d2ModSetup.bat again. The message "Uninstall the mod" and "Install the mod" mean nothing when running that bat file, so it's safe to run it several times, just in case you forgot to run it after an update.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:09 pm 

This was a full fresh install. I haven't played HU in about 3 years and this a new computer, it's never been on here before.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:31 pm 

Sorry, but please explicitly state if

1) You downloaded v1.21 and installed it.
2) You later downloaded v1.21z and installed it over top of v1.21 (this creates the Data folder, and overwrites a couple files).
3) You ran d2ModSetup.bat several times.
4) You used "Hell Unleashed.bat" to start diablo 2 (this ensures that your game is using the Data folder from 1.21z).

Four answers, if they're all "yes", then I guess you've genuinely found a new issue that no one else has encountered before. In that case, we'll scratch our heads again, give you some credit, and then start considering your operating system and things like that. I've heard of some really odd stuff with Windows7.

Sorry if this seems asinine, but tech support requires that these facts are not left in doubt.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:53 am 

Thanks for the replies Brevan. I'll tell you exactly what I did.

I installed diablo 2, reverted to 1.10 and downloaded the Full Edition HU from here: http://www.arimyth.com/hell.htm

Then I followed the install instructions. I have run D2Modsetup multiple times. I have also been using loader to play with no cd since I've read in the forums it's ok to do so.

I assume I don't need to install any other kind of patch because 1.21z is posted on that page as being the current version. Please let me know if I actually need to do a full install AND a patch even if I've never installed before now.

Again, thanks for the help, it doesn't seem asinine at all. Also, I am using vista, not sure if that matters.

I can't think of anything else you might need to know. If I've missed something just let me know and I'll reply asap.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:49 am 

For the four questions I asked, your answers were:

1) Yes, v1.21 was installed.
2) No, v1.21z was not installed.
3) Yes, you ran d2ModSetup.bat.
4) No, you might not be starting D2:HU with the correct parameters.

I don't mind that you didn't answer them as concisely, since you did answer them, and your answers gave additional information anyways. Excellent.

Steps for you to follow:

1) Install the 1.21z update patch: http://forum.arimyth.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=596.

You should run D2ModSetup.bat again. I'm not 100% sure it'll change anything, but as mentioned earlier, it never "Uninstalls" anything, so just run it to be sure. I'm paranoid that the message does mean something, so I like to run it until it says it installed. Perhps someday I'll bother to open up the .dll file it's calling and actually check what's going on with that dumb message.

2) The purpose of starting HU with the "Hell Unleashed.bat" file is to ensure that your start the antihack program, and start diablo2 with some special parameters. Personally, I don't use Loader, since I view it as a lame exploit to either Enchant or BO chars, or just rush them. You're correct that it's accepted by the community in general. I don't have experience with using HU via Loader, but I can still advise you a bit.

Whatever Icon you're using to start the game, there must be a way to configure the Parameters (aka Arguments, Settings, Start-ups, etc).

You must use Parameters:
-direct -txt

It might appear in this way:
Start: "Diablo II.exe" -direct -txt

or something like this:
Run: "C:\Program Files\HU\Diablo II.exe" -direct -txt

If the above doesn't make sense to you, then perhaps search the Tech-Support forum for the word "Loader" and see what other people have answered. There's also a very good chance someone will be able to continue helping you in this thread, since we've identified the areas you were having trouble with.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:07 pm 

Awesome help here Brevan. This is one of the reasons I love this community, if you have a problem someone usually tries to help fix it.

I'm installing the 1.21z patch right now. As for using loader, already had the -direct -txt. Not exactly sure what it does, I've always been told to put it there.

Hopefully this solves my problem but if it persists I'll just have to find some used D2 cds from somewhere and stop using loader.

Thanks again Brevan.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:11 pm 

Mustang wrote:
As for using loader, already had the -direct -txt. Not exactly sure what it does, I've always been told to put it there.

One thing it does is point you do any changes that are done in a /data folder in your Diablo directory. This is a common thing in mods as editing those files in the data folder is easy even for a techi-n00b like me. Using the -direct -txt in teh shortcut has allowed me to tweak the images via the image pack that is uploaded in our general forum (announcement at the top)

Offline Profile