Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 pm

Post subject: Cannot start game
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:54 pm 

So my install suddenly broke itself overnight and now it's giving me the unhandled exception error or whatever. I couldn't start it through the batch file or the old d2 loader so I figured since I was using an old version of HU patched up with the 1.3b core and high res mod, that might've been it though it was working absolutely fine up til today.

I went and deleted the D2 folder and copied a backup of the fresh 1.07 install folder I had lying around and redownloaded the core and high res full exe. I extracted both into the fresh D2 folder and what came out was a low res unstable client that crashes upon starting up.

So I deleted that folder and recopied a new one in and this time I downloaded and installed the HU LOD 1.10 patch. Then I extracted the core exe. When I clicked on the D2ModSetup however it tells me that it's missing a dll and that I can't even start up the game at all. Extracting the high res in just gives me a low res mess like before.

tl;dr I've tried a bunch of things and it didn't work out, someone mind giving me a step by step instruction on how to install HU starting from a fresh install folder of D2 1.07? High res mod and D2 loader included as well if you don't mind.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Cannot start game
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:02 pm 

If you are starting with diablo 1.07. First of all before you even touch mod files you must apply the diablo 1.10 patch to make your diablo version 1.10. the d2mod plugin program that applies all the plug ins only works with diablo 1.10.

As for installing HU to diablo 1.10:

1) download the core download and extract it to your d2 folder.
2) then choose either norm or high resolution and download that and extract it to your d2 folder as well.
3) run d2modsetup to install the mod.
4) to access the server run the HU registry file to add the gateway information to the registry.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:18 pm 

So I did what you said, and this is what happened when I tried doing the D2ModSetup.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/600/errorpd.png/

And this is what happened when I get into the game:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40/lowresmess.png/

I can't join or create games since it gives me the access violation error.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:46 pm 

well you need to somehow get that d2modsetup to work instead of saying it can't find a file... As long as it keeps erroring out you definitely won't be able to play on high res. I personally wish the d2modsetup wasn't vague like that so people could actually easily figure out what's going wrong.

--Double Post--
Do you do a full multiplayer install for your d2 from disc? It should put some extra files into the d2 folder. I'm just grasping at straws since I can't figure out why a fresh install wouldn't have the necessary dlls with the 2 downloads extracted in place.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:12 pm 

Yeah it's the full install. Apparently the D2ModSetup was able to find the dll with the install at 1.07 (but the game won't launch). With the 1.10 patch it doesn't see D2Mod.dll even though it's visibly in the folder.

Edit: And yes I did set the D2ModSetup to XPSP3 Compatibility.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:48 pm 

just install d2 outside of a program files folder.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:49 am 

Steel wrote:
just install d2 outside of a program files folder.

That was it, works now. Thank you based Steel, I was about to quit HU if it weren't for you.

Offline Profile