Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 pm

Post subject: Can't get the new mod to work
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:55 am 

I'm struggling to get the new mod to install and run correctly, any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Computer is running Windows XP with all updates and Service packs.
Computer has 4 gig of memory, Quad core processor and an ATI Radeon HD 5800 graphics card. 2 terrabites of drive storage.

I've done a fresh install using original Diablo 2 and LOD disks and both play O.K. in single player mode.

Downloaded Core program and ran the exe. program. Complied with the overwrite instruction.
Downloaded HU 1.3b_r2 low res lite and ran the exe. program.
Ran D2modsetup.
Ran Hell unleashed.Bat

Computer gives me:

UNHANDLED EXCEPTION:
ACCESS_VIOLATION (c0000005)

I've reinstalled several times using each of the four MPQ programs separately to try and eliminate any incompatibility.
I've also tried downloading and trying several copies of the core program to eliminate a bad file download.

If I run the core exe. program and then click Diablo.exe ,then 'normal' Diablo plays O.K.
If I then run D2 modsetup followed by Hell Unleashed.bat then I get the same UNHANDLED EXCEPTION message .

I've tried running in all the different graphics modes, Direct Draw,Direct 3d and 3DFX and still get the error message.

Any help would be gratefully received, even if it tells me I've not been installing properly.

Blade.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Can't get the new mod to work
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:21 am 

That error signature (UNHANDLED EXCEPTION:ACCESS_VIOLATION (c0000005)) is too generic to what's going on under the covers. Diablo 2 generates DebugLog###### files whenever it crashes. An attatchment of the most recent log should hopefully provide more insight as to what's going wrong (and if you can't figure out which then just simply delete them all and try to run d2 again to cause a crash and a fresh log).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:35 am 
Site Admin

Seems like it is missing the update to 1.10 after installing LoD and before unpacking Core.

http://files.arimyth.com/HU/LODPatch_110.exe

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:56 am 

DuFFBeeR wrote:
Seems like it is missing the update to 1.10 after installing LoD and before unpacking Core.

http://files.arimyth.com/HU/LODPatch_110.exe

Just tried your suggestion and tried to run the patch_1.10 program but it keeps telling me that it's used for updating programs through Battlenet and does not need to be run.So it won't let me.

I presumed that when I ran the core program it patched to 1.10

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:27 am 

Was your original d2 install a digital install from the blizzard site by any chance? Those natively start in diablo version 1.12+ (and tend to be troublesome to downgrade to an earlier version than what it natively installed as at first). Unless you absolutely hate the high res you are probably better off installing D2SE and using the D2SE plug in download with the high res mode update (or be willing to tolerate a few unupdated skills in normal res mode).

The non D2SE route means you are going to have to find an outdated game.exe somewhere along with possibly outdated core game dlls as well in order to force your install down to 1.10. There's also a possibility that you will be forced to use loader just to get it to function for normal Diablo 1.10 not even getting into making the mod function.

I would strongly suggest going the D2SE route over the downgrade route. Finding the actual dll files for diablo 1.10 is no where near as simple a task finding the typical update patch exe which refuses to downgrade for you. It would probably be easier to properly install D2SE than to find a proper package of those dll files of a clean install. The instruction page for installing D2SE is here: http://snej.d2maniacs.org/forum/index.p ... #msg459574

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:39 am 

Thanks for the suggestion.

My current install is 1.07 as loaded from my original installation disks.

I know not to visit battlenet before I start installing HU as it will try to update me to the latest version.

IIRC, in the past I just downloaded and ran an exe file from the HU site which upgraded me to 1.10 .Never had a problem doing that.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:49 am 

Actually if you natively install as 1.07 from disc there's a trick for when autoupdate makes your install diablo 1.13 to downgrade it back down to what ever you want that is 1.08 or later. Simply do the fresh install and then make sure to make a copy of the original game.exe file somewhere that isn't in the d2 folder. When you want to downgrade from 1.13 or from whatever else for that matter just simply copy the back up back into your d2 folder. This will trick the patch applying exe files into thinking your d2 folder is 1.07 and run the update.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:41 am 

Finally got the mod up and running, still not quite sure what I did right this time :oops:

Thanks for the input guys.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:04 am 

So using the digital install from the blizzard website and the d2SE route, it appears that the game just crashes with the described error popping up.

If I choose to play in windowed mode, it doesn't seem to pop up this error.

Figured I'd necro the thread as it's the first thing that pops up when you google the specific problem I did, and this would provide a (not entire) solution to the problem but a solution none-the-less.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:45 am 

http://chaosmarc.bplaced.net/index.php?lang=en

This has been used successfully to downgrade from the digital download to 1.10.

The link can be found at the Phrozen Keep in this thread.
http://phrozenkeep.hugelaser.com/forum/ ... 09&t=58677

Offline Profile