Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:43 am

Post subject: Windows 10 -- Can't get it to work.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:47 pm 

Used to play a LONG time ago, I want to play the solo version because I don't have a ton of time to play.

Here are the steps I've tried, in many different orders, particularly the ones you're told to.

Downloaded Diablo 2 1.12A from Blizzard.
Installed D2 and LOD.
Extracted LOD_110.rar content into the game folder.
Extracted Hell_Unleashed12_Solo.rar into the game folder.
Had to move the game folder to c:/users/myname/Diablo 2/ to get d2modsetup to run, which did work. This was a solution I found here on the forums because d2modsetup was erroring out until doing this.

At this point, I would attempt to use Hellunleashed.bat and I would get a "Please insert your LOD disc" sort of error, so I downloaded the
NewLoader.rar here: http://forum.arimyth.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1288

I followed these instructions to a T, including creating the shortcut and adding -direct -txt to the end of it. I'm familiar with this sort of process from hosting my own servers for other PC games.

When this still didn't work (I'd get the "busy" mouse icon for 5 seconds when attempting to launch via the shortcut then nothing), I followed the instructions for hexediting d2gfx.dll in the post further down.

The no cd launcher still will not work. I've even tried mounting an ISO of the expansion disc, it still causes hellunleashed.bat to ask for the disc.

I can't think of anything else and I REALLY want to play again. Thanks in advance.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Windows 10 -- Can't get it to work.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:29 pm 

It sounds like there might be a couple issues to resolve.

For the issue where the mouse cursor shows "busy", and then nothing happens, it sounds like maybe you forgot to set Compatibility Mode (for WinXP or similar). That would need to be re-done whenever you move the folder around your computer. You could try running the VidTest.exe program too.

For the issue about the CD, I'm not too sure about a quick fix. In the HU forum there used to be a complete filetree download for folks experiencing troubles with their installation, but I see that option was removed at some point. You could try using D2SE later, that tends to solve quite a few install issues (seems to work a bit better with newer operating systems, has a no-cd option (might require that you copy some of the .mpq files from the discs to the install folder first), etc).

Last edited by Brevan on Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:33 pm 

Sorry Brevan, I should've stated that I have indeed ran D2VidTest. Yeah, I found that filetree too but the link was dead :(

I'll look into D2SE.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:35 pm 

I tried to get my edit done in time, but the main thing to consider was Compatibilty Mode.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:21 pm 

Brevan wrote:
I tried to get my edit done in time, but the main thing to consider was Compatibilty Mode.

Brevan, with your help.. I'm so close! I can get the game running using D2SE! However.. there is no option for Hell Unleashed, just a ton of Vanilla stuff. I'm sure its something simple, but how do I get hell unleashed in this list?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:36 pm 

Quick update, I tried putting the entire Hell Unleashed 1.2 Solo folder into the mods folder. Do you have to have a D2SE specific version of HU for this to work?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:57 pm 

Brevan, I just wanted to say that you are amazing and I can't thank you enough.

I found an .ini file that you had created back in the day here
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=89

Added that to the Hell Unleashed folder in the Mods area and its working PERFECT!

I wish this entire post could be stickied for anyone in the future that wants the single player experience. You are awesome man. Thank you so very very much.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:03 pm 

No problem, your post was made while I was getting the following ready (so I'm not revising the tenses of words below) - Note that the D2SE setup file I've linked to here was created a few minutes ago, with a few touches not in that older one (although online I overwrote that older one, so I'm not sure which you've got). Don't forget to collect the webpages.

D2SE needs a filled-out "D2SE_SETUP.ini" file for each mod, I happen to have one already filled out for HUv1.21z.

Since you haven't been around for a while, you might want some webpages detailing v1.21's stuff.

D2SE will expect to see the following files in the MODS/HUv1.21/ folder:
(some might not be needed, but I've got it running off of a flash drive with these files)
CharStart.dll
D2Client.dll
D2Common.dll
D2Game.dll
D2Mod.dll
ExtLvl.dll
GemFix.dll
LevelFX.dll
LvlReq.dll
MercDesc.dll
MercMod.dll
NewTxt.dll
Portal.dll
Utility.dll
D2Mod.ini
D2SE_SETUP.INI
patch_d2.mpq

If you're curious, in that drive's D2 folder, I've got these files (no emphasis meant by capitalization):
D2SE/ (holds some of the .dll and similar files for each D2 core)
MODS/ (holds your mods, each in its own folder)
D2SE.exe
D2VidTst.exe
Diablo II.exe
Game.exe
glide-init.exe (I think this is the glide test run by D2SE)
unins000.exe (uninstalls D2SE I think)
binkw32.dll
glide3x.dll
ijl11.dll
SmackW32.dll
D2SE.ini
bncache.dat
default.key
D2.LNG
d2char.mpq
d2data.mpq
d2exp.mpq
d2music.mpq
d2sfx.mpq
d2speech.mpq
d2video.mpq
D2XMUSIC.MPQ
d2xtalk.mpq
D2XVIDEO.MPQ

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:57 pm 

I am facing the same kind of issue. Whenever I am trying to get the game it is showing a massage written as microsoft error code 268d3 . And I am not getting it I am using windows 10.
https://msofficetechnicalsupportnumbers.com/blog/microsoft-error-268d3/

Offline Profile