Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:09 am

Post subject: D2SE 1.6c SP Sound Question
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:56 pm 

Any way to get the original D2HU music? A lot of the bosses have the same music and I miss the old ones

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: D2SE 1.6c SP Sound Question
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:34 pm 

If you're comfortable using an mpq-file decompressor (you could find one on Phrozenkeep), then you could use the music from the v1.7 all-music patch_d2.mpq file.

When decompressed, that data folder will contain data/global/music, which you can copy to your v1.6 folder, and then run v1.6 using the -txt -direct flags. This is essentially running v1.6 with a patch.

Let me know how far you get before running into trouble. Let me know if you're using D2SE or not and where you've installed v1.6 to, that way I can try to give exact instructions for some steps.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:49 pm 

I downloaded 1.7 multiplayer and all the music seems to be working fine (I check Blood Raven). However in the 1.6, the music is still the same.

I am using D2SE and I pretty much followed everything on this link: http://forum.arimyth.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14003

Brevan wrote:
If you're comfortable using an mpq-file decompressor (you could find one on Phrozenkeep), then you could use the music from the v1.7 all-music patch_d2.mpq file.

I'm not sure if I follow this. Phrozenkeep is the website but I'm not exactly sure what to look up and put in my folder

Terribly sorry for my lack of knowledge on these things !

And lastly, for http://forum.arimyth.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16608, HighRes NewMusic Solo/Multi has skill trees that look out of place or have weird synergies (like Fire Wall has synergy with Ice Blast) and the skill trees arent like the original Diablo 2. Is that normal?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:22 pm 

HUv1.7 has different synergies from HUv1.6. There's a design document in the HUv1.7 download if you're interested in the details, but it'd likely pretty boring reading and not related to getting you sound :). The gist of it is that if you get bored of v1.6 (tried all the builds and quests), then consider trying v1.7 (new builds, a couple different quests).

The .mpq files are just compressed files, just like .zip or .7z files you're probably used to. The only difference is that .mpq (I think this is short for mo-paq) is used by Blizzard. You'd need special software to open .mpq files, but once you do you'd see the folders and files within it. We're just trying to take the music folder out, and place it in a spot where Diablo is expecting to find it. PhrozenKeep is a website for Diablo modders, so they keep more information on modding tools like mpq software.

When starting a D2 mod using D2SE, there are checkboxes in the bottom right for "-direct" and "-txt". Using those will let D2 know that there is a "data" folder containing information for it. If you place the music folder in
<D2 folder>/mods/HUv1.6/data/global/<music folder>
You would have to make the "data" and "global" folders since they're probably not already there. Then when you start HUv1.6 it will play the music from HUv1.7 (this is the same music from HUv1.3, so HUv1.6 should already be configured to use it)

Since you've got all the files and are just missing the mpq software, you're pretty close to being able to get this done by yourself, but let me know at which step you get stuck on if things go that way.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:03 am 

Brevan wrote:
You'd need special software to open .mpq files, but once you do you'd see the folders and files within it. We're just trying to take the music folder out, and place it in a spot where Diablo is expecting to find it. PhrozenKeep is a website for Diablo modders, so they keep more information on modding tools like mpq software.

I'm not exactly sure which file(s) to download from PhrozenKeep. I attempted it myself from downloading from http://d2mods.info/filecenter/dload.php?action=file&file_id=111 and before it said the file names, now it just shows unk + number 00001-04303

Brevan wrote:
When starting a D2 mod using D2SE, there are checkboxes in the bottom right for "-direct" and "-txt". Using those will let D2 know that there is a "data" folder containing information for it. If you place the music folder in
<D2 folder>/mods/HUv1.6/data/global/<music folder>
You would have to make the "data" and "global" folders since they're probably not already there. Then when you start HUv1.6 it will play the music from HUv1.7 (this is the same music from HUv1.3, so HUv1.6 should already be configured to use it)

I checked off both boxes on the bottom right as well as made the folders.

So I believe I just need to find the sound file and insert it into the global folder that's inside the newly made data folder?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:05 pm 

Yeah fair enough, I took a look at the options on PhrozenKeep for mpq editors and wasn't happy with the ones I looked at, so I Googled for an editor that seems pretty easy to use (Ladik's MPQ Editor v3.5). The interface is a bit similar to other compressor program interfaces (e.g. 7-Zip).

When you run the program, it might ask about a work folder (this would be where the mpq is extracted to, just choose/make a folder you know the location of so you can find the music folder). If it asks, the "listfile" is just a text document that states every filename in the mpq (basically a manifest), and is normally stored in the mpq (so shouldn't be necessary if you're opening a pre-made mpq, but I suppose I can't blame the program for thinking that you're trying to make a new mpq from scratch the first time you run it).

Ladik's editor seems relatively nice in that while it's running you can drag the mpq file into it to open it, then navigate a folder tree on the left to /data/global/ so that the music folder is visible on the right, and then drag it out and into your premade <D2 install>/mods/HUv1.6/data/global/ folder.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:18 pm 

Worked perfectly! Thanks a ton :D

Offline Profile