Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:42 am

Post subject: Curse length reduction from redemption not working?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:22 am 

Does the curse length reduction from the Redemption aura actually work? I have not really noticed it to have any effect in reducing curse duration, whether on a paladin who has the skill, or as an aura-on-equip from a holy craft weapon.

I: I crafted a holy gladius for my sorc, with a level 5 redemption aura. My merc and I were cursed at the same time with amplify damage, and I switched to the gladius to reduce the curse duration. Oddly, the curse did not expire any sooner for me than for the merc (Act II recovery with an Insight halberd). As far as I know, redemption only benefits the character with the aura. Moreover, the duration doesn't seem to be noticeably shorter than if I did not switch to the weapon at all.

II: With my paladin, I put 1 point in cleansing and redemption. When cursed, I switched to level 1 cleansing, which provides 25% poison (and curse) length reduction. The cleansing noticeably reduced curse duration when compared to using a different or no aura. If I tried the same thing with redemption, the curse did not seem to be removed any faster than if I had simply ignored it and kept fanaticism on.

The only character that seemed to benefit from the curse duration reduction from redemption was a meteorsin I attempted some time back with a holy craft claw as an offhand weapon, but I think that most of the curse reduction was from fade, and the redemption made no difference.

It could be that I am not testing this properly, and perhaps should time the duration of a curse with no reduction items/skills, and compare it with to that with redemption equipped. But as far as I can notice without any detailed testing, it does not seem to have much of an effect.

I am the captain of my soul.

-William Ernest Henley

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Curse length reduction from redemption not working?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:22 am 

I tested it in SP, and it does seem to work (I might be wrong though..). It also seems to work on monsters with redemption (arch liches, that vampire in the zakarum fortress), curses disappear quickly from them.
I believe you need to have the aura on at the moment you receive the curse to reduce its duration.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:49 am 

Thanks for the testing.

There used to be two types of curse-resist stat. I'm pretty sure there's only 1 type of curse resistance now, since back then it was found that the % reduction of Cleansing was adding to the % of other skills and items to trivially give people curse immunity. Nowadays, stacking % work as "Resist % of the curse that wasn't resisted". This diminished effect might be why it's hader to notice the %CurseReduction of stacked gear. It might still be possible to gain immunity, but I don't know what the conditions of that are.

e.g.:
Back Then: 60% Cleansing + 50% Fade = 100% resistance
Now: 60% Cleansing + 50% Fade = 60 + (50% of 40) = 80% resistance (unless those two skills happen to still give immunity)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:40 pm 
Game Server Host

redemption + level 60 fade will give you CI.

holy armour, bers in a shield, a redemption weapon and level 5 fade will also make you CI. The redemption needs to be active before you are cursed.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:35 pm 

Thank you all for your advice :). That makes a lot of sense; that redemption needs to be active before one is cursed. I have observed that the few monsters with redemption auras have substantially reduced curse duration.

So redemption doesn't work like cleansing, in that you can switch it on to reduce/remove curses then switch it off. That's fair enough, and it means I'll need to craft a holy orb for my sorc and hope to get relevant skill bonuses and mods (like fcr and +cold or specific skills I use).

I am the captain of my soul.

-William Ernest Henley

Offline Profile