Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:41 pm

Post subject: The character does not start with starting points
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:35 pm 

Well, I have this strange issue, It makes me nuts.

I have three computers at home. On both on them, the same exactly version works as spected (1.7) But on this PC it doest work. When I create a new char, it never gets the 30 starting stat points, nor the skills. Neither no extra informaciĆ³n at (C)haracter screen (just blank boxes)

This could be related to d2mod... but how? I am using the same version on both computer (configured on my first pc, then copied to this PC, then to the third one) And only on this computer it doest work. Ive tried to delete every regedit diablo 2 entry, reboot... but no luck, always the same.

Also tried the "all-in-one-already" 1.6v here. But its the same, the character start without the starting stat points, not the money, etc.

So please, what could be? Any idea?

Thanks!

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: The character does not start with starting points
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:27 am 

Since you've got 2 working machines and none of the files have changed, it's a pretty safe bet that the issue is with the operating system or a missing installation step. If the oddly behaving computer is Win7 or newer, then maybe the installation folder's location doesn't have permissions to run properly.
  1. Try rerunning D2ModSetup.bat (this is what allows D2 to run .dll files (these give your starting points/cash))
  2. Try using D2SE (seems to help an old program like D2 run on post WinXP computers). My brother has never been able to run HU on his Win7 computer without D2SE and I've never figured out why.
  3. Try moving the install folder to C:/Diablo2 rather than a folder that came with the computer (e.g. C:/ProgramFiles/ or C:/Users/AccountName/).
  4. Double check that you're running D2 using CompatibilityMode and as Administrator.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:15 pm 

Thank you Brevan, but alas, I have tried all those steps a couple of times. I tried to delete the game, I also used ccleaner to be sure all regedit data drom Diablo 2 are cleared, no luck. Always the same. I also tried usign D2SE, with 1.6c, but it happens the same, no starting points on new characteres, nor the first skill point, etc.

I am not quite sure what to do. The same exact version is workin on another same Windows 7 64bit, and Windows 10. But not on this PC. I also tried making a new administrator user, same issue. Seems it doest load the extra txt, or whatever is related to tell Diablo 2 to give the starting stats points... Can please anyone point where to look? Maybe some logs can be found somwhere that can be useful?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:30 pm 

I suppose a worst-case scenario, if it really is just the starting points that you're missing (this is unlikely), then you could make some characters on the other computers, and transfer those char files (identified in the Save folder using the char name) to the other computer. Maybe re-download CharStart.dll and D2Mod.ini as well as D2SE_Setup.ini, since those are relevant to char's starting stats. This might work out if you're mainly interested in playing a couple quick chars with a couple friends, but it's likely that the problem-computer will have troubles dropping from games or failing to connect.

You could try posting a detailed set of steps you used to install (don't forget the location, compatibility settings, etc), and see if folks notice an issue there. Maybe mention where you got your install files, since I've seen folks running HiRes versions of v1.7 but using NormRes versions of D2Mod.ini.

Another common issue I've seen for folks new to D2SE is using the "Start D2" (Vanilla D2) button rather than "Start Plugin" (loads Mod files) button.

Offline Profile