Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 am

Post subject: "Cannot find required DLL" when running D2ModSetup
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:49 pm 

Sup everyone. So I was going to dick around on the test version for the mod, and my laptop doesn't seem to want to cooperate. The error I get is "Cannot find required DLL. If diablo is running you cannot install this mod. Quit diablo and try again." I thought it was just because I downloaded Diablo2 from blizzard and installed over it, but now I've copied an actual 1.13 copy of HU from my desktop, to my laptop and it still won't work. Now, before you guys go "Oh have you tried x?" Please realize that, even though I don't talk a lot on here, I've played HU for probably fuck... not long since it came out? I've tried everything. The folder works on my desktop, but the laptop is just jacked. I'm running windows 8.1 on a 64 bit operating system. If you can think of anything I may have overlooked, let me know? I'd love to get this sorted out before the release of 1.17. Appreciate the help!

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: "Cannot find required DLL" when running D2ModSetup
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:50 pm 

Are you using D2SE or the .bat route?
Note, you still need 1.10 (though I do not think this is the error being spit out to you).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:02 pm 

Trying to use the .bat route.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:07 pm 

If you can't get it to work you can try downloading the 1.6c full game and just dump the 1.7 files on top of it. Not 100% sure if this will work but it should replace the txt and dlls and add whatever else it needs onto an already functional base.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:01 pm 

I think I ran into a "DLL required" bug a couple years ago when installing HU for a friend (that was on Win7 though), and to get around it we installed D2SE. I also use Win8.1, but never had an issue. Consider installing D2 outside of ProgramFiles though, since Win8.1 has some pretty interesting strategies for organizing installation files (took me ages to realize that the config and save files for some of my games were being mirrored in my user account folder in hidden directories).

If the DLL not being found is d2expres.dll (related to high-resolution, which the v1.7 test package does not support), then remove the following line from d2mod.ini and try again:
d2expres=d2expres.dll

I've considered fixing this error in the test package, but we're getting pretty close to January anyways and I figured folks wouldn't be testing anymore.

That aside, Ensley03's idea should work fine too I think. I'd recommend D2SE in general though, since it acts as a pretty solid middle-man between newer operating systems and a 15ish year old game.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:29 pm 

It MUST be outside of Program Files (or x86) to read in Win7.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:46 pm 

eyyyyyy nova wb!

Nova wrote:
've played HU for probably fuck... not long since it came out?

stfu noob :lol:

Honestly every time I tried to set up D2SE in the past it was a clusterfuck. However, the D2SE install from Ensley's thread makes life so easy... I highly recommend you go that route if you're having issues-

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14003&hilit=d2se+file

Offline Profile