Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 pm

Post subject: quick question about loader (no-disc support)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:08 pm 

After trying the loader in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=106 to no avail, I was wondering if it was only for the multiplayer version of the mod.

If so, then how does one find the iso image on the disc? I have searched through the disc with daemon tools, but have seen no mountable images. There is probably something embarassingly simple that is eluding me.

Thanks in advance, as it would save me a lot of trouble not to have to always use the LoD disc, as my copy is about 6 years old.

I am the captain of my soul.

-William Ernest Henley

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: quick question about loader (no-disc support)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:29 pm 
Game Server Host

it should work no problem, make sure you extract the loader to your HU folder and replace the old file with this one, then run with the loader icon either from the folder or make a shortcut to it.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:35 am 

Thanks for the quick reply :). The problem I have ran into is that I don't have a HU or Hell Unleashed folder in my Diablo II directory; installing the mod did not create one.

I'll try a clean install of the mod; perhaps I may have selected a wrong option when extracting the files to the directory, as extraction of compressed files normally creates a folder to place the extracted files in.

-William Ernest Henley

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:57 am 
Game Server Host

ah, no when I say your HU folder I mean the folder you extracted your mod files to. If you extracted to your d2 directory then extract the loader to the same place. That will fix the problem. make a shortcut of the loader and right click it and add the -direct -txt manually before you run it.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:18 am 

Alright, I extracted the loader to the Diablo II folder (C:\Program Files\Diablo II), but what "old" file should be replaced? Diablo II.exe, Game.exe, or Hell Unleashed.bat? I do apologize for being on the slow side when it comes to this.

Thanks for your help so far. I earnestly hope that I can get this working soon so that I don't have to worry about using the discs all the time, as I have had some terrible glitches and game crashes due to the disc not being read properly (mostly in Act V).

-William Ernest Henley

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:27 pm 
Game Server Host

when you extract it to the folder it should ask you if you want to replace the old file with that one, if not then just create a shortcut to the loader and add the -direct -txt at the end of the target line by:
right clicking shortcut > properties > -direct -txt at the end of the target line.
remember a space between the " and the -direct so it would look something like this. "c:\desktop\diabloII\newloader.exe" -direct -txt

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:46 am 

I extracted the new loader to the following directory: C:\Program Files\Diablo II (where I installed Diablo II and extracted the HU files; all the correct files to run the game are there). I also created a shortcut on the desktop with the following target line: "C:\Program Files\Diablo II\new loader.exe" -direct -txt .

Still, this did not work. Starting from the shortcut doesn't seem to do anything with no disc in the drive. I don't think that the fact that I am using the solo edition of Hell Unleashed would make a difference, either...

Thanks for your help nonetheless. I guess that I will keep using the disc for now, and will make a back-up one of these days.

-William Ernest Henley

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:36 am 
Game Server Host

thats odd, I never had a problem using it myself. What happens when you run it? just nothing?

Try adding -w to the end of the target line, I remember having trouble getting it to run without the disk and it would take 5-10 mins to start the game if i didnt run in windowedmode. Give that a try and see what happens. If it works and you want to run in full screen i`ll have a think of a way to solve it. You got me stumped if that dont work :P

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:36 am 

I have added -w to the end of the target line, trying three modifications.

-w -direct -txt , -direct -txt -w, and just -w. None of these have worked. I'll try posting a screenshot of the target for the shortcut, so you can see if I have made some embarassingly obvious error.

When I start the game with the disc (using HellUnleashed.bat), exit the game, remove the disc, and try using the loader, I get a "no disc" error. Most of the time, however, running the shortcut or the .exe file does not produce any result. If you wish, you can take a look at the link below to a screenshot I took of the target line of the shortcut. Perhaps I have missed something.

Shortcut 1, just -direct -txt: http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/6786/shortcut1.png

The other attempted variations just have -w -direct -txt, -direct -txt -w, and just -w after the target line. All of these have had the same inconclusive result.

-William Ernest Henley

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:00 pm 
Game Server Host

yeh even if the -direct -txt -w is wrong it should still start, thats just giving it paramiters to follow.

maybe you got a bad download, i`ll upload another here for you.

Ok this one is zipped direct from my hell unleashed folder, extract to your game folder and click replace if asked to do so. then create a shortcut to it and add the paramiters

Attachments:
loader.rar [16.19 KiB]
Downloaded 534 times

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:04 am 

My apologies for not letting you know of how it worked earlier. I haven't had the time to try it out over the last four days, due to extreme occupation.

But I tried your new download, and things worked as expected until I had to try running the shortcut with the parameters -direct -txt -w. Running the shortcut with no disc in the drive still does not work. It has no effect at all. The mouse just changes to the "working" icon for a few seconds, as if the game is going to start up, although it does not.

I do thank you for your patience with me in this matter. I cannot see what has gone wrong with this. Perhaps a fresh install of the game and the mod could solve the problem, but I would rather not do right now. I'll see if I can copy the disc successfully (my previous attempt apparently was missing an essential file for the game to run) so I can have a back-up.

Nonetheless thanks for your patience and help with this. If I do reinstall the game and mod, I'll try again and let you know.

-William Ernest Henley

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:23 pm 

-Update-

I solved the problem a couple weeks back. It was simply that I was missing the d2xmusic.mpq file. Copied that from the disc and the loader works perfectly now.

I haven't had the time to play HU in several weeks (school has been rather unpleasant), so thus I didn't solve this problem until quite recently.

Thanks for your help and patience. I feel quite silly that it was so simple a fix.

-William Ernest Henley

Offline Profile