Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 pm

Post subject: Game constantly crashing due to UNHANDLED EXCEPTION
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:44 pm 

ACCESS_VIOLATION (C000005). This has been my life every time I try to play HU for the past 2 days. It happens whenever I try to play the game using more than once instance of D2SE. I can run the game ok for the most part, but it will still sometimes crash several times while trying to get into a game. It crashes for no reason at all and can be provoked to crashing by certain stimuli such as loading multiple instances of the game, changing the resolution of the game, etc.

Recently my battery was fried when I used a different power cord and I am afraid I may have damaged my system, but my system appears to be functioning normally in all other respects, except for my ability to run D2SE.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Game constantly crashing due to UNHANDLED EXCEPTION
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:28 am 

You aren't supposed to change the in-game resolution from 1024x768. You can adjust your desktop composition to stretch it more if you want in windowed such as 1600x1200 static through Glide.

Loading multiple instances should not create errors after it's been loaded. If nothing else you could try just downloading the complete file pack.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:31 pm 

I get this exact same error when I try to alt-tab between either multiple game instances or just different windows.

I've had to resort to using a second computer to chat with people on skype while gaming just to avoid crashing the game I host.

Any ideas. I haven't changed resolution. Is it something glide settings perhaps?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:42 pm 

Sorry to necro this but my friends and I are having technical problems exactly the same as described here:

Running D2SE + Hell Unleashed 1.6c.

I'm running Glide fullscreen in 1024x768 (resolution in-game).

Fairly often, alt-tabbing causes D2 to crash with an unhandled exception. My debug logs look like this:

Code:
13:28:05.333  PROGRAM:       Diablo II D2SE Core 1.10f
13:28:05.333  COMPUTER NAME: (edited out)
13:28:05.333  USER NAME:     (edited out)
13:28:05.333  TIME:          2017-03-07 13:28:05.333
13:28:05.333 
13:28:05.333  ***** UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: ACCESS_VIOLATION (c0000005)
13:28:05.333  Fault address:  055FF903 01:0000E903 C:\Diablo II\D2SE\CORES\1.10f\D2Win.dll

As you can see, I'm running D2 in a folder installed directly into the C: drive. I have attempted setting Glide to run Windowed rather than fullscreen but the same thing happens.

The error also often happens when either loading INTO the game from the character select screen or leaving the game after selecting "Save and Exit Game" from in-game.

Anyone have any thoughts on why D2Win.dll in Core 1.10f is blowing up?

I'm running Windows 7 Professional. I'm running D2SE, Game.exe and Diablo II.exe in Administrator mode, as per the installation instructions on the file tree for 1.6c.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:45 pm 

I'm not familiar with the errors that can occur with the GlideWrapper (you might have some luck checking his webpage). The issue sounds like it might be configuration related. From his FAQ, it sounds like DisablingDesktopComposition (checkbox alongside the other shortcut compatibility settings) is important.

Consider running the game with other resolutions or without the GlideWrapper to see if they affect the issue (sounds like you're able to reproduce it consistently, which is good for testing).

Offline Profile