Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Post subject: Inquiry with the return tome
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:38 pm 

I recently got into the 1.5 patch and I was wondering if the Return tome can only work on Realm or does it also work in single player or LAN.

When I try to right click on the tome it does not do anything. I understand that it should return me to town however when I try it, nothing happens. I have tried to use it on several places on A1 however nothing. My char was within the level requirements at the time as well.

I have been playing this game mostly on single player or lan since 2006 and just wanted to try the newest patch. Last time I installed I think was 2012 with the 1.3 patch if I am not mistaken, and there are a lot of changes since then. Hell the loader is very different.

I use the Multiplayer version and have been playing that type since. I just play on lan with some friends instead of online although have not yet tried to run 1.5 on lan.

Anyway, hopefully some one will be kind enough to reply. If there are still people around.. :D

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Inquiry with the return tome
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:01 am 

did you identify the tome? :)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:52 am 

Thank you for replying!

Yes, I did identify it and when I place it in the inventory and right click on it nothing happens. There is a sound though when I do, like a thud or something but nothing ever happens.

I tried to use it outside the encampment at various locations on A1 however still nothing. Also when I do buy the map of trials and right click on it, it just disappears. I imagine that it would open up a portal of some sort however nothing pops up.

I even tried to transmute it at one point. Bought like 3 scrolls of trials and tried to transmute. :D

I checked the cube recipes however I think the HU database site might be outdated. I also checked the changelog that is in the file to see if it will give me some insight (although i have not checked the 1.4 one tbh) as well.

From what I understand in game, the map would be read/right clicked then within 10 seconds i should use the tome to enter the trial. However when I do, nothing happens. No portal no nothing.

So I think what my question would be is, how to use the return tome and how to enter the map trials?

From what I have read from back reading a number of threads, one could get a scroll when I complete a trial and that is when I transmute it with the tome. Aside from that, i am afraid I am at a loss.

By the way I am playing as single player in the Multiplayer version while I am testing these things, so I am not sure if it is supposed to work there.

Sorry for the long post.. :D

Hope you can help!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:20 am 

If your tome isn't working, you won't be able to enter trials. When you right click it, it should make that thud sound, and bring you to the Rogue Encampment at the same spot the town portals appear.

The tome is a pretty new addition to HU, so you'll need to be using one of the most recent patches for it to work. Should work on SP just fine so long as you have the right patch.

If you do have the right patch and it still isn't working, try re-extracting the patch files or reinstalling

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:15 am 

When I do run the game I get an error. I have not minded it before since I was able to run the game essentially however I did have a feeling it will bite me in the ass somehow..

If I am not mistaken the error was about a missing DLL file or something. I run the game using the exe file and based on the other forum posts that I tried to check, I guess I should be using the 1.10 loader to open the game.

I will try this stuff once I get home. Thank you again for the info!

:D

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:18 pm 

Post exactly what that error is and the smart people will be able to help you narrow down the issue. It may or may not have to do with the tome working. Reinstalling / re-extracting may fix one and / or the other, but it's hard to say with the information provided.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:16 am 

Thanks for the input. I did not think that it may have been a technical issue since my initial thoughts on this is that I am probably not using the tome or the trial correctly or just missing some components. Like when opening the cow level, it has different requirements in this game so I thought that might be the same with the tome/trials thing.

I tried to install the game again a clean install with the cd and everything and that has 1.07. Patched it to 1.10 then installed the nond2se core 1.5 and added the client 1.5a full. Ran the d2modsetup, made sure it says install then I run the game using the game.exe file.

This is when I get the error that shows file mscvr2.dll or something is missing, then the game shows up after closing the error. I did not take note of the exact file since I am thinking I would download the client the files again from the stickied post and try again. However I did check both the 1.10 files as well as the nond2se core files and there is no file that may have the same name as the one that is missing.

I tried to run the game using the diablo II.exe file or even the hellunleashed bat file and I still get the error message, although when using the hellunleashed one the game does not start after clicking on OK or closing the error message.

Will try again later.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I run the game by using a shortcut and having it in windowed mode, by adding the -w for the target file. I am not sure if the game opens by just double clicking on the exe file.

Offline Profile