Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:43 pm

Post subject: Physical Zon Questions
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:45 pm 

I'm making a physical spear zon. I have a guess as to which skills I max out, but just wanted to ask before I did it. Jab, Impale, and Fend are a must I'd imagine, but what others do I max? strategy and perfection? making it a 100 point build? Which means you can't get Valkyrie?

My other question is: Physical spear zons don't put any points into dodge and avoid do they? The description for both of them says ( "Not to used for Melee combat due to dodge lock" ) So, If I'm a Melee class, it would be wasted points right? Unless we just put 1 point in them for the hell of it?

Last question: 2 handed spear, or 1 handed with a shield?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Physical Zon Questions
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:58 pm 

I know little about phys zons, but I will mention a few things.
Valk and decoy are very good to have, especially during longer fights.
Don't put points into dodge/evade, even 1 pt unless you want dodgelocked.
1pting other passives is often worth it, and is 'generally' enough.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:30 pm 

I would definitely get 1 pt valk+decoy, and put the rest into either strategy or perfection.

If you plan to kill stuff, don't put any points into dodge/avoid. It is super annoying.

This patch is really hard, you will almost certainly need a shield to tank bosses.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:25 pm 

Physical zon need buff evade should not have animation imho same goes to assasin block. Without evade decoy is so weak and also vak stand not so long.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:40 am 

I can't even imagine how bad a melee amazon is, lol. Honestly, I don't think you should play something like that. And you also said you wanted a spear, wow.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:26 pm 

the_apologizer wrote:
I can't even imagine how bad a melee amazon is, lol. Honestly, I don't think you should play something like that. And you also said you wanted a spear, wow.

Don't knock it til ya try it. There have been a number people that have made quite good melee zons in the past. (hell ever read on a bnet dagger zon?)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:19 am 

kramuti wrote:
Don't knock it til ya try it. There have been a number people that have made quite good melee zons in the past. (hell ever read on a bnet dagger zon?)

And how exactly would you make a good melee zon in the current patch? Not regular D2, not an older HU patch, but the current one.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:08 pm 

the_apologizer wrote:
kramuti wrote:

And how exactly would you make a good melee zon in the current patch? Not regular D2, not an older HU patch, but the current one.

I'll let you know in a few weeks, mine's just getting started

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:28 am 

the_apologizer wrote:

If you didn't know how to make one then, there is no way that anything said will make you understand how to make them now.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:17 pm 

kramuti wrote:
If you didn't know how to make one then, there is no way that anything said will make you understand how to make them now.

Nice reply, bro. 10/10
I'd like to see your spearzon not getting oneshot by any boss just looking at her, though.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:49 am 

I'd like to see any character in hell not get oneshotted haha.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:02 am 

the_apologizer wrote:
Nice reply, bro. 10/10
I'd like to see your spearzon not getting oneshot by any boss just looking at her, though.

Then let me be more explicit. If you have not actually looked at the mechanics of how the phys zon skills work, then there is really no point in discussing anything about the character at all. Any argument made by someone that knows them inside and out, is going to be totally lost on someone doesn't and also has a pressupposed idea about how 'it should be'. All they will do is copy and say either 1) see this is easy, or 2) this blows ass. They cannot readily define why it is either good or bad.

The way to learn if a character will work is either to read a lot about them by those that have played them a lot, or simply play through and see what works and what doesn't. The former is generally a bad way to really learn the character. The latter takes more time, and you may never learn it because you become frustrated first...so generally, do a bit of both.

The latest case I can really point out is hydra. A few of us played them for a long time. Then we gave them fireball, which was quickly found out to be too much. Then when it got nerfed, folks that had essentially never played them prior wanted to beat the skill into oblivion. Their argument (even if valid) was totally naive. Yes, the skill is strong (probably even OP in the old state), yet it was almost never played (nor is it now...when it probably should be). Why not? Because people are too damn stubborn, and want to close their eyes and win the game. Hydra sorc's are a pain to level in the beginning if you don't have a party. Then even when you get a decent setup, trash clearing is not super fast. It can be kind of a turn off for a lot of folks. However, if you a little patient in your playstyle you can do quite well.

If you saw my first post, you will see that I said I knew little about them. It is true. But at least, when I was curious, I read quite a bit before deciding that the playstyle probably wasn't for me.

AND FOR GOODNESS SAKE STOP USING THIS PATCH TO MAKE AN ARGUMENT FOR BALANCING ANY CHARACTER.

Offline Profile