Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 pm

Post subject: if you're bored waiting
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:35 pm 

goto the argument forum on the last page... just enjoy the reads :) haha.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: if you're bored waiting
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:01 pm 

I take it this means no one actually has Duff's phone number or email...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:15 pm 

tell me where he is... i could probly get to he's house and say Hi. i could bring a pack a beers so he dont do it for nothing :D

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:45 pm 

don't worry after 5 attempts i was finally able to make a game

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:00 pm 

I used to have him on MSN... which when it converted to Skype I lost the contacts... give the guy time and hope he's doing alright. worst case worse we can just get some hosting and a new realm set up until he shows up. We'll give him more time... duff is way more knowledgeable than me at this stuff and it would take me a few days to sit down and learn how everything gets set up.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:02 pm 

Also who has access to the linux servers? Is it punisher + duff?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:24 pm 

hunterAS wrote:
I used to have him on MSN... which when it converted to Skype I lost the contacts... give the guy time and hope he's doing alright. worst case worse we can just get some hosting and a new realm set up until he shows up. We'll give him more time... duff is way more knowledgeable than me at this stuff and it would take me a few days to sit down and learn how everything gets set up.

a few days? lol my buddy had his own server up in like an hour. we hosted several mods together.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:34 am 

Good then are you volunteering? Because I haven't touched the pvpgn software... and I was only a gamehost like 5-6 years ago... so yes there is a learning curve and getting it customized to the mod it would take some time. I really don't see the point in your post.

So setting up a realm... and getting 3-4 gamehosts updated PLEASE do it in a couple hours :) .... ridiculous

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:36 am 

to be fair ensley has asked to host.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:45 am 

hunterAS wrote:
Good then are you volunteering? Because I haven't touched the pvpgn software... and I was only a gamehost like 5-6 years ago... so yes there is a learning curve and getting it customized to the mod it would take some time. I really don't see the point in your post.

So setting up a realm... and getting 3-4 gamehosts updated PLEASE do it in a couple hours :) .... ridiculous

I already plan to partake in hosting. my laptop cant handle a server right now that is why if you look at my former posts you'll see what i said. once i finish my desk top ill be more then glad to have a server up and going again.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:08 am 

Hosting a game server and a realm are completely different. Setting up a game host is simple you open a few ports here and there yada yada... My post was directed at setting up a replacement realm if duff doesn't comeback which involves setting up a database and linking all the gamehosts to it... once again, that is not an "hour" long task.

and what kind of laptop are you running if it can't take a server? lol That's ridiculous...... I think we should move away from personal hosting on systems anyways and just buy a few VMs hosted by rackspace or something. That way its dedicated and multiple people can have access to reset / modify so there is a check and balances to prevent admin abuses.... especially if we just run a hash comparison against all the text files.... it'd be like random drug testing :)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:19 am 

hunterAS wrote:
Hosting a game server and a realm are completely different. Setting up a game host is simple you open a few ports here and there yada yada... My post was directed at setting up a replacement realm if duff doesn't comeback which involves setting up a database and linking all the gamehosts to it... once again, that is not an "hour" long task.

and what kind of laptop are you running if it can't take a server? lol That's ridiculous...... I think we should move away from personal hosting on systems anyways and just buy a few VMs hosted by rackspace or something. That way its dedicated and multiple people can have access to reset / modify so there is a check and balances to prevent admin abuses.... especially if we just run a hash comparison against all the text files.... it'd be like random drug testing :)

I like this, still it would have to be someone everyone trusts to be setting it up, and is around frequently. Only one I can think of is PureRage. This also means he would be fronting the bill which seems unfair.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:27 am 

No... I would do the set up and rage would be heavily involved.. once he would approve the game files this can be done by running a sha1 or md5 hash against the current files and then comparing the files on the gamehost to those hashes. It's basically a sound way of preventing any modifications. (It's also a way of proving that I'm not cheating or altering anything like I did when I was a young tyke).

There's no reason to make Rage front the bill, I have no issue paying for a server... I think we've all reached a point in our life where we are adults and can afford to pay something like 10 bucks for a game we still enjoy.. Remember this is all hypothetical the best scenario is Duff coming back and being the almighty savior :) If duff comes back I think he should still start up a paypal donation for himself for all the years of hosting.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:31 pm 

PureRage gets my vote as well. I have no problem donating PayPal to him or Duff or any other reliable hosts for the future. I think many others here would donate as well.

Think of it this way, many games have a $15 monthly fee just to play, and this is better than most games.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:37 pm 

-people have lives aside from this.
-he had to put through several fixes on last patch
-wouldn't blame him for simply waiting to see what is found quickly on the patch was finalized (i actually doubt this is the case).
-i know it's frustrating to not be able to play for awhile, even moreso when an update is done (though there are still bugs in this that should be fixed imo before it's released...but whatever...most others don't seem to be bothered by the few outlying cases).
-Duff will reset it soon enough.

Regarding hosting. Having the ability to do so probably won't guarantee your services being acquired. Rightly or wrongly, some of it has to deal with word of mouth, and past history (or lack of it). We've had some pretty crazy stuff happen in the past. Several which are offering (probably) don't know about these instances. So don't feel offended if at some point you don't get to host...and please don't construe this as 'noob go away, you're services are not wanted'. just letting ya know what has happened in past cases.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:02 pm 

I don't really get the point of your post Kramuti... its not introducing anything new... the point is to wait and give duff time. he hasn't logged on in 3 weeks though so there should be a plan being thought about in case he doesn't comeback.. so there's that.

Also, like I said I'd rather remove the trust completely from gamehost and have them all hosted with 3-4 people able to access them for a checks and balances... its easy to hash the text files to ensure that the originals are the originals.

There's too many things that can go wrong if we are all hosting from our systems... It's better to move to 24/7 hosting like Linux-1 and Linux-2... and its not really all that expensive.. the bandwidth requirements for this game are ridiculously low.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:57 pm 

I know I glossed over the part about you proposing it 'for the mean time'. It seemed like the discussion was also beginning to include the realm as it stands (not by you).
As for server hosts, I know at least a few of the newer folk have offered to host when server count was low. We haven't added anyone in quite some time. I figured that I would just comment to those that are just now poking their nose out (at least on the forums) and offering their hosting services, and let 'em know what has happened in the past for the realm.

I am not sure if any of the previous issues we had would have been solved with a hash check...i know virtually nothing of server side anything.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:01 pm 

well the issues with me hacking the game server years ago would have been determined with a hash check... any alteration to the text files would result in the hashes not matching. its forensically sound... I'm not sure what other issues are involved... if you're speaking about things like the linux servers being junk right now.. 3-4 people would have access to reset them if it was publicly hosted.

but I get you :)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:23 pm 

Kramuti, I think you underestimate how long all of the people who have offered to host have been around. At least looking at the three people in the realm status forum that have offered, Hunter, Delta and I. You joined a day prior to Delta, and after both Hunter and I. I also know both Hunter and I have played since very very early in the mods timeline

I'm sure that all of those people very well know the past events and issues with server hosts whether they were directly involved or just playing at the time.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:45 pm 

eh keep in mind we had old forums too :P This Aug 31 2009 stuff is just when this forum got up and running.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:32 am 

duff has been a stable host for a good 7 years now or so. there is no reason to believe that he won't come back. when i last spoke to him i asked for more time to make/test the patch for a reset and he said OK. at the time my guess was that it would take a month to fully prepare a new patch but kevin far exceeded all of our expectations. that is why we have to wait a bit longer.

just relax a bit. the reset will come in due time.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:34 pm 

No one is disagreeing with that Pious. Just making sure there is a plan B if a few more weeks pass by and nothing.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:39 pm 

Snickers: I was referring to those that have made forum accounts btwn 2012 and last month! I figure those that helped to pop this forum's cherry remembered. :D

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:07 pm 

kramuti wrote:
Snickers: I was referring to those that have made forum accounts btwn 2012 and last month! I figure those that helped to pop this forum's cherry remembered. :D

wats wrong wit 2012 members !!! ;) hehe

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:14 pm 

lol

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:46 pm 

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=847

^^^^^^^^ Me. :p
what does this make me? lol

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:41 am 

it means you play too much lol

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:18 am 

Pwlloth wrote:
it means you play too much lol

play too much? last time i logged into my original account was in 2013. i take my breaks... long needed breaks the nerd rage for awhile. :p lol

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:23 pm 

kramuti wrote:

My bad, I had only seen a few peoples posts in the help hosting section. Regardless, it is starting to seem like a change needs to be made, I'm fine waiting another month for a patch, however, we need a realm host that checks more frequently than that.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:05 pm 
Site Admin

I'm back ... don't be afraid I'm currently downloading the new packages at a good 30 K/s so I guess later tonight I will be able to update hosts and put my own GS up as well.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:05 pm 

DuFFBeeR wrote:
I'm back ... don't be afraid I'm currently downloading the new packages at a good 30 K/s so I guess later tonight I will be able to update hosts and put my own GS up as well.

Welcome back, our lord.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:31 pm 

DuFFBeeR wrote:

sa c des bonne nouvelle :D

That is some solid news :D

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:52 pm 

Pious wrote:
duff has been a stable host for a good 7 years now or so. there is no reason to believe that he won't come back.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:48 pm 

Duff if you would like start up a paypal donation.. I would like to give you something for your 7 years of reliable hosting.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:54 pm 

Omg, same here!!!

Offline Profile