Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 pm

Post subject: Median XL
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:13 pm 

Has anyone played Median? No one is ever on HU anymore and it's getting boring. So I might start trying Median XL out.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Median XL
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:08 pm 

no! lol HU is better. play reign of shadows instead of median or if you like single player try out eastern sun! best mod imo. ( no offense to purerage.)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:39 pm 
Game Server Host

None taken!
I wouldn't recomend my mod to anyone as it's still just the bare bones (basic act/quest structure) and it's very unforgiving on anyone who has no prior experience with the mod/mechanics. It's mostly just a pet project now until life decides to throw me a bone and I can dedicate time to it again.
(I'm still extremely proud of the work that went into it for the 6-8 months I had)
Hence why i never released a link.

MXL is a great mod for anyone who likes to destroy stuff while you watch TV/browse the net. Mostly focused around chaining OP procs together to clear screen after screen with minimal human input. If you like flashy skills and have a decent machine then you'll love it.
Boss encounters are pretty much none existant however, and act bosses are usually dead faster than a regular pack of trash mobs :(.
Skills like "Orb of Homing Multishot Arrow Novas" or "Disco Inferno" are hillarious to play with however, even if extremely OP.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:28 pm 

PureRage-DoD wrote:
I wouldn't recomend my mod to anyone as it's still just the bare bones (basic act/quest structure) ...
Fascinating. My pet modding project last year was exclusively changes to skills, items, and monsters (just rebalancing them, not new stuff). If you're interested in combining the two, just let me know. Like you, I ran out of steam (after completing Normal to my satisfaction). I played NM for a bit until I realized that to fix a critical problem, I'd need to make a lot of clone skills for monsters to use such that the damage depended on monLevel (the actual skill level would be used as a damage modifier). I did not bother calculating exactly how much work would be needed, but I think it wouldn't take too long at all. I'd just need a reason to do it. Similarly I only created some of the items I wanted to see and disabled the rest since I wanted to pick up triple-durability rares instead (I put extra effort into prefix/suffix calculations). I think I put about 7 months of work into it; mostly calculations of balance points.

Give me a reason and maybe a month and I'll fix it up to a releasable version. You'd be welcome to drop in your levels, in which case you might even enjoy playing it since the skills and such would be new to you. In general I balanced things around players being weaker, but soloing possible for the prudent.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:42 am 
Game Server Host

I so wish I could dedicate more than 10-15 mins here and there :x .
The mod I'm refering to isn't the HU project though, it was a full conversion of the original D2.
It was mostly mapping changes and expansion of acts, new skills and mobs. The basic structure was layed down and balancing had just started before RL caught up with me. I had to take the realm down etc. but a member of the community was kind enough to rehost it :). It's mostly the masochists who are still around and I think they are all HC players. (I'll be extremely surprised if they make it to hell, but stranger things have happened).

Heres some screenies of the mapping/act changes.
I don't have a set for act 2/3 progression, but act 2 is like fields/forests/towns/castles. Act 3 remained roughly the same, except expanded.
These are before I switched to high res. Act 5 has been expanded more since then, with the 3 prime evils plains being connected to a larger "Netherworld Plains" etc.
(Bleh, don't have time to dig up and repost screenies, so I'll just like to the the original SS threads on the boards.)
A1
http://snej.d2maniacs.org/forum/index.php?topic=26114.0

A4
http://snej.d2maniacs.org/forum/index.php?topic=26894.0

A5
http://snej.d2maniacs.org/forum/index.php?topic=26904.0

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:56 am 

Since you've created new monsters, skills, and surely items, then it should be pretty awkward to integrate the two projects. I would consider my project to be a mod of HU, such that it's a reset of the creeping in power between monsters and players. My unofficial goal was that if I contained my changes to just a few of the text files, then "my mod" could be inserted into many other mods. But in hindsight I think that some of the small changes I made to files that control which monsters spawn in certain areas will limit my files to HU.

Perhaps for the next reset my files could be used for a few months, which would give plenty of time for the implementation (and maybe testing) of suggested changes to the current version of HU. If my version was enjoyed enough, then the versions could be swapped again while improvements were implemented.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:42 pm 
Game Server Host

Yeh, I'm trying to set some time aside to finish the legion stuff for HU, those 2 projects would be able to fit together pretty easily I'd think.
Legion stuff is just a few new maps, monsters (based on existing monsters in the game) and 1-2 new uniques. The rest is just de-bugging the existing files and a couple of edits to existing underused skills to make them more appealing.

The time consuming aspect of that is purely the map design/layout. The text stuff could be done in an evening or 2.
Thats why I started a mapping guide, as it's a fun process that anyone with spare time could pick up.
I just need to find a spare evening to cover the map editor's functions etc. then anyone would be able to create a map that could be slid in, freeing me up to get the text stuff done.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:54 pm 

honestly i actually do recommend this mod to other people because i love it. i may not play that often but thats because im trying to get my CDL class A license. :)

love this mod and i will continue to follow your progress.

Offline Profile