Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:57 am

Post subject: First Thoughts on Hell Unleashed
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:38 pm 

Well I was pretty impressed on alot of the changes made from this mod however the game seems to be incredibly easy as your given so many stat upgrades from the get go.

I'm not sure if this is because im playing single player or not but nothing seems to be able to hurt my character and I kill every unit with 1 hit. Not very much fun.

So far I have only made it to bloodraven which I enjoyed the extra passage to get to her and she did manage to hurt me some but with all the hype on how much more difficult this game is I was pretty dissapointed.

I guess I am just wondering if there is some way to put the difficulty up to make this game actually challenging??? (besides boss fights it seems)

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: First Thoughts on Hell Unleashed
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:04 am 

Quote:
I guess I am just wondering if there is some way to put the difficulty up to make this game actually challenging??? (besides boss fights it seems)

play online solo

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:38 am 

Try something past 1st waypoint.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:40 am 

If you're playing the Solo Edition, then keep in mind it's intentionally reduced difficulty since you're alone. You could still use the "/players 8" option to increase monster's HP. That will give the monsters more time to get to you and attack.

You've given no information about your build or gear, so I'm guessing you're trying a cookie-cutter build (or a build very strong in early game, like PoisonVine Druid .... don't make PVine druid.) with 3os armor and hat filled with diamonds. In this latest patch, Diamonds were buffed more than suggested (possibly accident, probably misunderstanding), making them overpowered for Normal Difficulty. For a challenge, use fewer of them.

Sobora's recommendation was to install the "Full" or "Multiplayer" version of HU, where monters skill levels are increased, there are no TownPortal scrolls, and some other things are modified to increase the challenge.

If you decide to play online with the Multiplayer version, then you might have to ask people not to rush you. You can still play singleplayer with the multiplayer version.

It's not clear what you meant by "so many stat upgrades". The starting stat points are simply the same number of stats any char starts with, but you're allowed to place them yourself. The starting +Skill is new, but shouldn't make your life overly easy.

Another probable reason you're finding it easy is that patch 1.21 was specifically made easier, since it was felt that new players were getting discouraged, and that this would help. Normal is relatively easy, NM has interesting points, and apparently Hell is where the fun is supposed to begin. Currently soloing Norm in the Multiplayer version should be possible, and if you choose to use Diamonds a lot, then it should be pretty easy for a strong build. It might be fun for you to try this.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:20 am 

Just put it this way, when the ladder reset. It was pretty much impossible to pub the areas before baal nightmare with random people. I can remember vividly people dieing 100+ times on one pack of mobs.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:48 am 

He's definitely correct in thinking that the mod (in normal, at least) is far, far easier than it used to be - most new players, even those without super-gear and cookie-cutter builds, don't seem to be exploding in Act I quite as badly as they used to. This is a feature, however, and not a bug. That was sort of the point of the most recent raft of changes - not beating new players back out of the game.

Things heat up pretty quickly, Psychosis. Blood Raven is only the first boss, and she doesn't do anything really wacky. Try smashing through Act II and see what you think, then.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:06 am 

Thanks for all the speedy replies, The build I'm going for is an assassin mostly using the Shadow Disciplines with some Martial Arts. Its not really the town portals that make it easier its just no one seems to be able to hurt me and they all fall in 1 hit.

my stats at level 13 are with some gear I found lying around (nothing big)

40 strength
65 dexterity
70 vitality
20 energy

70-160 attack
53-81 attack

HP - 401
MP - 41

When referring to the stat points starting out you start with 90 and before i left the town for even the first time i had over 300 hps. Seems higher then normal.

Also I couldn't figure out how to get the multiplayer patch to work as there was no gateway for me to login to, and everytime I start the game it says unable to find hack-find.exe whatever that is?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:01 am 
Game Server Host

open your HU folder and run hu.reg with the multiplayer version, that will set you up with the gateway. Before that make sure you have bnet Gateway editor in the folder. If not your anti-virus (mine is the same) may have deleted it when you unpacked the files. I just switch my AV off when setting it up so i have the gateway editor to add the gateway.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:02 pm 

Will I still be able to use my single player character after I load the multiplayer version of the mod into my folder? *I know I will need to create a new character for online*

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:10 pm 
Game Server Host

yes but the single player function will use the multiplayer version when you play SP. best bet is to copy the folder and have one for single and one for multiplayer

Offline Profile