Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:25 am

Post subject: Solo Journey Through Multi HU
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:09 pm 

When internet is down, or I'm getting realm down, or whatever, I've been working on a HC single player char. No twinks, no editors, just a slow masochistic grind through the game. I went with a hammer/foh din so I wouldn't wind up getting stuck on an immune boss. I suppose there are other magic builds I could have chose from, but I liked the idea of hammers. I'll be writing this as I go.

NORMAL
Act 1-
nothing special, just got 6 chipped diamonds for my helm/armor and grinded BR a few times for witherstring.
Andy EZPZ with a pot bomb

Act 2-
Things went really smoothly until summoner. That was a super epic hard fight where I had a choice to either-
a. Kite him for 2 hours, shooting 3 times with my bow in between each movement, or
b. Hammer his ass and drink a cube of juvs

I chose option B.

After this point I was looking like this:

I took the time to make 2 quad sockets and run gem shrines to make that armor, since I desperately needed the dr and damage to mana. Problem is for trash I take so little damage now it the dtm does practically nothing lol. Rings are nothing special, got a couple decent charms, got lucky with face of horror and eye of etlich. I did find an eth Bloodthief so my merc is doin 1k dmg. This was a godsend since I only have mana to foh twice, and hammers are useless in small corridors.

Time to try dury!

First Attempt
My merc was actually leaching really well, even though he was nearly getting 1 hit, he was doing lots of dmg and leaching back quickly. Merc died when dury was about 3/4 hp remaining, I get comfy in the bottom corner and drop my cube. I ran out of mana pots quickly, so I would switch to my bow and pew pew him a few times while I got whacked, drink some reds, and the DTM would fill me up, switch to wand/shield and hammer, rinse repeat. I had to move around a bit to grab pots, I lost my sweet spot so got kb/leaped at for a minute. Settled back in again I repeated the previously mentioned strat and thought he was going to die, then he healed. Goddamn I don't know how I suck at aiming so bad with hammers lol.

Second Attempt
Everything went the same except I made damn sure that either my hammers were hitting or I was switching to my bow to reset him frequently enough. Killed him ezpz. I am not looking forward to meph lol

Act 3-
Szak, stone skin + mana burn... :x . Good thing he left my merc alone so I just tanked.
Dragon, easy. His laugh kinda scares me though.
lvl 42 at this point.
Levianthan, fun fight
Council, smite+res aura = ezpz merc slaying

At this point I ran the bug, sarina, and council maybe 10 times each. Got me a spec shard, magefists, new rings/amu (no skills yet :( ), made a spirit shield, and got a few lvls. I gambled a hwanins circlet and farmed some more diamonds to stick in it. Lvl 49 now.

Mithia didn't really cause me any problems. Her twisters hurt pretty bad but nothing life threatening. Mephy time!

Try one
I basically stood underneath him and spammed hammers the whole time. My pdr was enough to mitigate his magic attacks, but goddamn his lightning ball and other lite attacks were hitting me hard. Luckily, one of his attacks was filling my mana bulb due to my DTM (I thought magic/ele attacks wouldn't do that), so I had very little mana issues. I had a couple close calls, but got him down to about | | hp when I got an assertion failure crash. NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Try two
Since on the first try I realized my mana bulb was doing quite well, I foh'd the fuck out of him. I killed him pretty handily.

Act 4-
I ran to ROF wp pretty easily, farmed the WPs for gear/gold, but was getting pretty poor xp at this point.
HF Dragon - Easy, I farmed him a few times for gems
Izy - Easy
Lazuras - Easy
Amon - Kicked my ass when I tried to hammer him. I had to run around in circles foh'ing him down slowly cuz he almost killed me a few times.
De Seis - Had to kite him around, but wasn't too bad
Moloch - Easy

DIA TIME!

I made a 4 ruby shield just for the occasion. I just ran around and foh'd him while avoiding fstorm and the lightning shit and it was pretty easy. Maybe it's cuz I have done dia so many times on a foh'er that it seemed really easy, but was definitely easier than meph IMO.

Act 5-
Where do I start...
Ran wps first, went straight to tundra. Ran blaze ripper probably a dozen times, but was taking heavy dmg so I knew it was time to switch to rubies.

I got lucky and gambled a diamond star circlet, socketed it with p rubies. Made a SS cast craft shield and stuffed skulls in it (BTW site is still wrong on this, SS ame shield craft doesn't give skill). Socketed my new and improved armor with an ith and 3 p rubies. Finally got some decent skill rings and an ok amu. Still using nightsmoke and shitty rare boots. I figured there wasn't much else I could do gear wise, so it's time to try ancients :|

Lvl 60 at this point

Try one
I was hoping at least one of them would chase my merc so I could have an easier time splitting them, but they all came after me. I wasn't able to split them, AT ALL. Not even get 2 of 3. So I was basically running around, shooting once at whoever is closest behind me, and running some more. Problem was that even when running Vigor, Talic was faster than me, so almost every time I would turn to shoot he would get a WW off on me, and due to Korlic's Might it hurt really fucking bad every time. Not to mention taking a couple wtf korlic leaping over the entrance while I'm running behind it. I was eating a stupid amount of juvs.. probably had like 24 left when I FINALLY got korlic up top by himself... I tried to tank him to avoid leaps, but he just hit too damn hard. I had a very tiny space to kite back and forth so I wouldn't pull the others up, so I would foh once and when he leaped at me I would charge underneath him, repeat. It was a pretty hilarious little micro battle I wish I got it recorded, but I ran out of juvs really fast and my bomb was dropped near the middle so I had to tap out since I had to pull the rest and was almost out of pots.

TRY TWO!
Due to the insanity of the first attempt, I decided to record my second try. You can watch the video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTejLJ9jiyw

I got lucky on the first split getting madawc by himself up top so he was an easy kill
Then got the other 2 separated and got lucky with talic ww'ing onto my square and staying there so my merc could kill. He actually isn't that bad without that korlic might anyways, just the mana burn is annoying.
I kept getting stuck trying to charge away from the leap attacks so i just switched to vigor/running and it seemed to work better. Run, foh, repeat. Didn't even drop my juv bomb.

After a long arduous journey to the wsk2 wp, all I really needed was a bunch of juvs and some topaz to make a lite sorb shield and I was ready to attempt baal.

I was taking on the leapers really well and my merc was living half way decent too. Guardian was no problem at all, then of course things slowed down a lot when I advanced. Got passed the minion leapers no problem. Probably the trickiest part was the berserker king, since I couldn't run him to a corner and save/exit because it's on single player, I had to pull the mobs away from the door and then charge back to the door. It took me several tries to get them split in a manageable manner. Once I did I was able to kill the zerker king pretty easy. I also took on the big marilyth bitch. The WSG was a different story, it would have taken my entire juv/mana bomb to take him down so I left him by the door and went for baal's minions.

Round 1, lightning:
A pretty fun fight. I wasn't taking a ton of damage, and foh'd down the big guy before even killing the little guys. Maybe that was a mistake, but I made it through.

I needed more pots before the next round so I went and cleared tundra.

Round 2, magic:
This round was a bitch. Not only is he NOT demon so my foh was doing shit compared to the other demon rounds, but he has that stupid mana burn spell. I ran round the screen and was able to pull him away from his minions, but then baal started laughing as if I had killed Achmel... I was so scared he was going to send round 3 in the middle of the fight cuz there's no way I could have fought both of them. Luckily he didn't throw them down right then, so I was able to keep fighting and kill off Achmel, BUT, RIIIIGHT when Achmel died and I was picking up the items he dropped Baal threw the other round on top of me. Scared the piss out of me.

Round 3, fire:
I just used the same fire sorb shield I made for dia and this fight was pretty easy. Strangely, his firewall was actually hurting me the worst of anything, but then again I didn't eat any boulders or firestorms.

Round 4, shitcuntbitchfuck:
Due to the ease of the previous rounds I was feeling really confident going into this fight. Right when she came down, I ate a fuckstorm of invisible ninja stars and almost died 4 or 5 times in the first 20 seconds of the fight. Sometimes when I would get hit I'd take practically no damage at all, other times I would almost be one shot. At this point, on realm, I would have exited. But I wanted to at least keep fighting 'til I ran out of juvs, then I got 1 shot. :(

Damn, I really feel like I could have made it to NM... Luckily, I recently sent my character files to imp for him to check out, so I might just pull them out and keep playing him. Stay tuned!

EDIT:
Round 4.2, Glasya
So I decided to give her another whirl... turns out when you walk, and stay in Glasya's face, you don't get raped by her ninja stars lol. She was actually quite easy this time around.

Round 5, Darkness
Sadly, I got myself charge locked before this fight, so I couldn't separate him from the blade. Also as they are magic immune there was no real answer but to deal with the pesky blade. I actually used all my juvs for the previous rounds so I spent a couple hours just farming juvs in preparation for this fight. Things were going pretty smooth, my damage isn't super high so I knew it would be a long fight, but I came prepared with plenty of pots. Dropped my pot bomb. After the first couple minutes I knew I had it in the bag as long as I avoided the nados when I was amp+confused. Then.... get this
ALL MY FUCKING POTS DISAPPEARED!
I was making a point to click on all of them to refresh them so they wouldn't poof every minute or so... that's supposed to work, RIGHT!?
So Mr. Darkness was at about 4/5 HP still, I had 4 mana pots, 4 hp pots, and 12 juvs. I was pissed. I used Vigor to avoid as much damage as possible, then would switch to meditation to regen up while poking him only to keep the heal reset timer in check. I did a pretty good job of avoiding damage, but zzzzzzzzz this shit was taking forever... Seriously took me like 15-20 minutes, but I got her done. 6 juvs and 1 mana pot left too :)

BAAL!
Nothing to tell here really. Kind of anti-climatic. I foh'd him, he died.

Current Gear:
Helm: Diamond Star (2 P Rubies)
Weapon: Spectral Shard (io rune)
Shield: Cast craft (4 P Skulls) - no special mods, decent res
Armor: Rare - 30% FHR, 6 str, 39 cr, 35 lr (3 P Rubies, 1 ith rune)
Gloves: Magefist
Boots: Rare - 20% FRW, 10% FHR, 33 lr, 27 fr
Belt: Nightsmoke
Ring 1: SOJ
Ring 2: Rare - +1 zon :lol:, 20 energy, +12 life regen, 151 mana, 6 MDR
Amulet: +1 Combat, 6 dex, +1 life (per char lvl), 12 allres, 37 cr

Level 66, inv stuffed with mana/lifers, lvl 21 foh, 24 hammer, 22 conc

Nightmare coming up!

NIGHTMARE
Act 1-
Mine and my mercs res were maxed, except for my poison res (perfect for andy). First order of business was to run leo a few times. I got myself a Saracen's and my merc a Raven Frost. Finally I could take the Undead Crown off him and stick the Rockstopper on and he'd still have CBF. He's still using Kelpie Snare... non-eth... desperately seeking new weapon for him.

Merc actually lives quite well. He can tank 1 champ berserker at a time. If 2 I need to help take hits, if 3 he dies instantly. Lucky for me, there were FIVE FUCKING PACKS OF CHAMP BERSERKERS in the catacombs of anguish :(

Tobi wasn't too bad. Just really annoying to deal with the mana burn. Time for Andy!

Current Max HP: 3665
Current Max MP: 659

I can basically hammer indefinitely with the mana pool I have, but I need like 1000+ before I can foh forever (I forget the magic number..). Thankfully (or not) I'm still wearing the same armor with an ith for the DTM, and andy gonna hit me hard so I probably won't need mana pots... lets find out:

I over-prepped this... man-moded her. Drank juvs and foh'd, probably only drank 1/4 my juv bomb.

Act 2-
Walked wps first and went straight to maggot lair to get staff. Annoying as shit since no undead and tight corridors. Killed the big maggot no problem.

Went to Valley of Snakes, cleared out Viper Temple, equipped my light sorb shield, went for Ardual. I didn't bring enough mana pots so it was a long ARDUOUS fight (see what I did there?). He was multishot so his LF really fucking hurt. Every time he cast it I almost died. Drank lots of my juvs but I got him.

Getting the ore wasn't too bad, not nearly as scary as I thought it'd be. Tobi was a lot harder actually.

Summoner, unlike last time, was really easy cuz I had foh this time around. It still took a while cuz again, not enough mana pots. I did have a couple scary portals on the way to him though. Took me a few games to actually get to him cuz when I ported through on top of 3 champ Force Golems I would almost instantly die lol.

Unfortunately, unlike norm, I couldn't run Kha over and over (above Arcane Sanctuary WP) for stuffs. He is still dropping chipped/flawed gems, and single sockets. I was hoping he'd be dropping P gems and shit for me. Most NM unique droppers are still too hard for me to casually run for gear, so I'm really just hoping for lucky drops from mobs. The only gear improvement I've had since normal was my Saracens amu... I was going to take a SS of my gear after summoner since I did that in normal, but it has barely changed. I realized I need to just kill dury so I can farm Sarina for gear.

Wyrms are a bit rough, which was a terrible indication for how the dury fight was going to go. Champ wyrms? Forget it. A pack of them? I exit the game. Took me a few tomb runs before I got a True Tomb portal that wasn't stacked with wyrms. I tried running them around and closing doors in their face and what not, I just couldn't deal with them. FINALLY I got a game where there wasn't a single champ wyrm all the way to Thrack. Killed Thrack no problem, then cleared the rest of the tomb for juvs. DURY TIME!

Try 1-
It went as expected. I should have actually left and got 100% of my juv bomb filled (it was about 4/5 full), but my damage was looking good even though I had to drink every time I got hit once. It got hectic when I needed to fill my belt, though. Because FoH does that weird thing where it will FoH an enemy if you click the ground next to him, it was really difficult to pick up juvs. I switched to hammers so that wouldnt happen, but still dury is so damn fat I was hammering when I clicked instead of picking up juvs. I had to do the unthinkable. I left the wall to "move" him, which means he's leap attacking the shit out of me as I frantically pick up juvs. I ended up drinking more juvs while trying to pick up more juvs... it was quite the paradox.

My belt was empty, there was 1 juv left on the ground. He had || hp left, probably 3 FoH's more. I couldn't pick up the juv. He leap attacks me, I have 300 HP left. I pause the game and consider trying to finish him, but the consequences out-weighed the benefits of the risk. I tapped out. Time to farm more juvs and try again.

Try 2-
I actually found a Celestial Guard (lvl 60 pali shield) while grinding for juvs! Socketed it with an MS Amesyth and MS Skull. Block is up to a whopping 10% and with defiance my chance to be hit was like 30%. Feeling good!
Dury went smooth, still had a couple belts of juvs leftover :)

Act 3-
Confuse + amp hurts so damn bad... I've needed new gear for so long now. Time to walk wps and grind Sarina a bajillion times

Last edited by slappyNuts on Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:29 am, edited 9 times in total.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Solo Journey Through Multi HU
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:28 pm 
Game Server Host

Enemy attacks have a 100% chance to hit you when you are running and block is 1/3 listed. It's worse than having 0 def, that'll be why the throwing stars raped you, if you ran sideways along the line of em, all would have hit.

Same shiz on ancients, walk and charge :D .

Cool story, I enjoyed the read :)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:09 pm 

thanks kev :)

on ancs I was too slow walking, and charge kept twitching out on me, so I just ran like hell lol. Maybe I just need to practice charge micro more. I've heard people talk about charge+hammer micro, but I'm a hammerdin noob so I'd need to practice on something other than ancients lol

about those damn ninja stars- I thought it was a spell type attack that just did phys dmg so they always hit anyways. I had no idea defense/block would even factor in. I did know about running across them, though. Sad part is I was standing completely still when she pwnd me so I just needed more life/dr% (and apparently block)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:05 am 

:-) was nice to read , and i read all good job

im a HC player too but not in this mod , to much lag for germans on that HU servers

in my eyes the glasyia throwing stars are to strong, maybe its a cool fix but not in my eyes :D brakes the fun out for a fight... they killed me so oftn in 1-2 shots on normal - nm - hell

greetings

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:24 am 

thanks turin :)

The damage for those glasyia blades are very unpredictable. Imp got 1 shot by them at the beginning of this ladder and he had great health and dr%. I should have prepared more for it, but I got impatient and wanted to try to get to NM >_>. Impatience is a HC player's worst enemy lol. And not walking during boss fights lmao

Which mod do you play on HC?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:30 pm 

played Eastern sun mod HC 3-4 years , actually too but not online

they shut down servers on d2maniacs :( shit happens

and long time D2 classic on bnet ;-)

greetings

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:27 pm 

Quote:
...Made a SS cast craft shield and stuffed skulls in it (BTW site is still wrong on this, SS ame shield craft doesn't give skill)...

The crafting thread should be correct.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:47 pm 

ya the stuff on the forums are right, but most people still use the site cuz it's so much easier to navigate

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:47 pm 

Ya, I hear ya. It's just that with such a large amount of info on the database, it is more likely that there are mistakes scattered throughout. Most were fixed, but I think that one batch was either not put in or something...my memory is a little hazy though.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:12 am 

there is nothing more rewarding than to man mode it by yourself. when you get into a pinch and have only yourself to look upon for the way forward its really something on hc. those days are well behind me though, as it takes a long time to play through completely solo on 1 character with absolutely no items or assistance from anyone else.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:49 pm 

it is quite rewarding, though time consuming. I learned the greatness of not cubing flawless gems and running gem shrines lol. The nice thing about single player is you're not stuck mid-quest, you can hit pause and go and do something and come back hours later. So even though it takes more time, you can split it up however you want. The un-seen challenge to me until I started was not being able to save and exit. Things like the berserker king and marilyth where I was planning to lead them to the corner and s/e, I had to charge around through mobs and try to leave them behind, but couldn't so I had to fight them.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:11 pm 

I enjoyed reading this ... Thats what i'm dreading now all the farmin and stuff ... Just started messin with Hc again today. ;)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:15 pm 

dont play hardcore. its much easier then softcore.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:56 pm 

Well I guess this char IS softcore now since I died :(
Big shout out to imp for telling me I couldn't do it the whole time lol

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:40 pm 

Interesting. I've been playing 1.13c beta recently. I don't have a motivation to play online due to the lacking of free time so I started a barb in single player mode to see how far I can go.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:21 pm 

utunnels wrote:
Interesting. I've been playing 1.13c beta recently. I don't have a motivation to play online due to the lacking of free time so I started a barb in single player mode to see how far I can go.

good luck man! I'm hoping you will be doing some magic damage from zerk, otherwise I say you don't make it passed szak. Shit maybe a wc barb could do well now :lol:
there's just too much phys immune/stone skin stuff that will stop you dead in your tracks if you are pure phys, not to mention I think the pdr formula is all fucked and I don't think you'll be able to do any damage what-so-ever to andy and others

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:50 pm 

Yeah, maybe I should give wc a try. But I haven't reached andy so it is a bit too early to say. We'll see.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:58 am 

Picked this project back up, OP updated for those who are interested :)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:29 pm 

slappyNuts wrote:
Picked this project back up, OP updated for those who are interested :)

cool and gz on the progress, looking forward to read more later . :)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:22 pm 

thanks kannli! Might be a while before much progress is made and there's more to read. Probably going to grind a bit and craft a new armor/shield

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:22 pm 

Enjoyed your topic.

It can indeed be time consuming to solo multi. I played only a fire trapper and a psn zon without multi boxing all the way up to hell without help/twinking. Dunno if that would be considered cheating, but, I had to farm double the gear. I was worn out of progressing because the Andy fight would literally take a good half hour.

GL

Offline Profile