Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 am

Post subject: ideas and curious what yall think or if its possible.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:36 am 

first idea, take off lvl cap of chars. what would happen if u could continue lvling passed 101? how would this change the balance of a game? i dont see many people getting that high...like over 120 or something. but it i saw this as actually letting there be a highest level race (so to speak). would be interesting but i was just curious about that.

2nd idea, there are alot of random oskills on items. would it be possible that if u equiped oskill items on merc, they could use them as one of their own skills? like a xbow that has oskill howl. and then the merc howls once in a while. this was a random thought. dont know how that would effect the game mechanics or op chars.

how bad are these ideas ;)?
and remember it was just a random thought and ive put no effort into studying this idea.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: ideas and curious what yall think or if its possible.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:37 am 

1- We would need to analyze the decrease in exp vs your char level to know how fast you could lvl passed 101, and at what point you would stop getting xp (maybe you wouldn't?). If you could hit lvl 150 that would allow you to max 2 more skills.. not to mention the extra 150 stat points u would get from an extra 50 lvls. I'll think of some specific builds this could make OP later, but I think some builds might just benefit from the extra vit. Also, I think there's a life cap at like 26k where your life starts to bug. I've heard people getting to 20k life already so this might be dangerous.

2- could be fun, but what would that mean for oskill auras? that when the merc would randomly use the skill he flips on the aura rq? Don't know how this would work out

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:03 am 

First idea is same time nice and ridiculus. Imagine Firde or cold druids maxing out all synergies, or even frost bite with additional 40 skill points and 150 vit. They would get ridiculisly strong :D Same time if we leave getting exp past lvl 101 on like half the value we gain getting to 101 it would be interesting to see who is retarted enough to get that far :D I like this idea i have to say :D

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:43 am 

Concerning mercs... They have an incredibly limited AI... The best you could do for a merc is give them an oskill of a passive which won't need AI to activate.

concerning the lvl idea... As things stand at lvl 100 as you are working towards lvl 101 all exp you gain from monsters is multiplied by a 1/512th penalty that's uneffectable. The steepest codable exp gain multiplier penalty that can be assigned to a char level is 1/1024th. There's further exp gain penalties for being too much higher level than the monster. As long as you are no more than 5 levels above a monster you'll get the full exp your char level allows. However the highest lvl foes are the LoS bosses and Soulmancer at lvl 104, Baal's minions at lvl 102, and final LoS area trash at lvl 99-102. One would only be able to keep getting "full" exp till lvl 107-109. At lvl 112+ assuming a 1/1024th overall exp multiplier you would be getting 1/20,480th exp. Besides... lvl 127 is about as high as the lvls can go without risking breaking char editors. Staying to nice round numbers it would mean 120 or 125 is about as high as the level can reasonably be edited.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:57 am 

slappyNuts wrote:
1- We would need to analyze the decrease in exp vs your char level to know how fast you could lvl passed 101, and at what point you would stop getting xp (maybe you wouldn't?). If you could hit lvl 150 that would allow you to max 2 more skills.. not to mention the extra 150 stat points u would get from an extra 50 lvls. I'll think of some specific builds this could make OP later, but I think some builds might just benefit from the extra vit. Also, I think there's a life cap at like 26k where your life starts to bug. I've heard people getting to 20k life already so this might be dangerous.

yes, there is a life rollover at about 36k life, but it's just a display bug, and it can be fixed with the d2mod plugin "statfix", wich should be added to the next patch as it's possible to reach that much life...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:12 pm 

Personally I thought the life display bug was at just under 33k myself since that's where the power of 2 is. A plugin to fix a display bug is entirely reasonable though.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:32 pm 

as Baerk said lvl 125 cap would be max. I say it would be nice effort, Cos for example imagine fire druid which has additional 20 points to max all geddon synergies. There are some ppl that will try to get that lvl, just to be well known and to get this additional skills. I think it would be nice to incorporate that in next patch.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:29 pm 

I think fstorm would be an example of why we shouldn't do this. It's already one of the strongest builds around, let's make it more powerful? Why? Fstorm would need a serious nerf if we did this

A windy druid is a good example of a build that would benefit from this in a good way. Barb's being able to max berserk to give their skill 20% magic dmg would be cool too.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:27 pm 

indeed the life rollover is not at 36k but at 32,767...

and about max level, to make it not too unbalanced, what about changing it to lvl111
and lower the skill points from izual quest to 1..
would be only 7skill points more you could invest at maxlvl...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:34 pm 

with respects to the lvl idea, i had in mind actually seeing who is top lvler from this. i dont know how hard it is to hit 100-101... and how many people would hit 105+??? because from the last few seasons (hc or SC) i dont remember see a shitload of people at 101. i dont want this to turn into a heated discussion about OP char builds, we have too many of those on here. and just to throw something out at the fire druid. If you took away bear form from them... maybe this would knock them down a notch? i just thought it would be cool seeing someone who actually was the top lvler.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:42 pm 

if you consider the highest lvl monsters are the bosses at lvl 100ish then getting anywhere past even lvl 110 would be hell. and anyone who has hit 101 knows its pretty brutal to get there. would be a fun concept for the whole concept of a ladder and having the highest level character.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:46 pm 

Pious wrote:
if you consider the highest lvl monsters are the bosses at lvl 100ish then getting anywhere past even lvl 110 would be hell. and anyone who has hit 101 knows its pretty brutal to get there. would be a fun concept for the whole concept of a ladder and having the highest level character.

:)
i think of old bnet days on Classic where lvl 99 was practically un reachable. so there was always the top lvler. would be cool to see here

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:01 am 

Besides as things stand it's one 1/512th exp going from lvl 100 to 101. That could be set even lower at 1/1024th exp for all lvls past 101. The highest trash/Baal's minions are lvl 102. LOS bosses/Soulmancer being lvl 104. That means at lvl 112+ a dismal 1/20,480th exp from most enemies which becomes all enemies at lvl 114+.

It would literally take 40x longer to gain 100k exp at lvl 114+ than lvl 100! If most people find actually hitting lvl 101 brutal they would probably find lvl 110 almost unbearably tedious if bearable at all. Given what I know of the experience mechanics and the fact I know how to mod that table it would be a simple matter to make all the lvl 101+ lvls take much longer than 100 to 101.

Also the thing about firedruids and such... I doubt it would have to be that massive of nerf. While yes going from 80 to 100 points for firestorm and its synergies would be about a 1/3rd damage boost which would take a 1/4 nerf to offset it IF it somehow turned into an issue.

However, in no way did Imperial ever imply that those lvl 102+ lvls had to be easily obtainable. For all we know reaching lvl 121 could be so freaking tedious that one could easily make 3 more lvl 100 chars in the time it takes to go from lvl 101 to 121.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:35 am 

exactly!!! but at the same time having no lvl cap would let someone like ben on hc or stu on sc really run away with their top lvl is they so chose. this wasnt a big change in my mind but just alittle something added.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:30 am 

Why all of you drag ballance into this?? Making lvl cap 120 even, would not need balance at all. Wake up look at ladder statistics. 20 chars only are above 99 and like only 8 of them are 100 and one is 101. If someone give his two or 3 weeks to get this freaking 120 he should be damn rewarded for it even when he get ridiculysly unbalanced, cos guess what, it will be one op, unbalanced character which could go as he please and be the hero, most community isnt even taking effort to hit 99, so it wont change balance at all, but give 2 or 3 ppl in there chance to make hero 120 lvl char which could crash everything, but taking 3 or mayby even 4 weeks on continious playing to hit that is enough punishment, no need to do nerf that will affect players who only like to be lvl 95. Again there is no balance needed in increasing lvl cap. you have to be retarded to get 120 so let ur char be retarted strong too, it is mostly fair and balance, and it favourites ppl who spend 4 weeks in game more than ppl who make 95 lvl char in one day and want to forget about it, I call it balance, and no more is needed. If you want to nerf anything that will affect earlier lvls, toss this idea of increasing cap away cos u will just nerf evry char, and favorate only 2 or 3 ppl in whole community. Even I will not plan to get fire dru to lvl 120, not even 100, most of my builds are calculated for lvl 99, and thats all, also most part of community feels the same, even larger part of them have thought out build for lvl 95 to not loose more time (blaze for example) on them.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:02 pm 
Game Server Host

utility.dll can be edited so you get no more stats or skill points after a certain level. Editing D2Game won't work as the plugin hijacks that section and injects its own code so it would override the changes.

Should be just a matter of making a call to the function that handles stats, if the value of the level stat is greater than 101, grant 0 skill points and stat points.

D2Common.#10521 gets the base value of a stat

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:32 pm 

dont like the idea of no "reward" for lvling further. but do hope if this idea gets looked at that they do not balance at lvl 120. they keep the balance at an avg max lvl of 95-99. :)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:44 pm 
Game Server Host

don't have to be a reward and it gets rid of the annoying balancing aspect.

Offline Profile