Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 pm

Post subject: Question about "MancerShot" skill
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:27 pm 
Game Server Host

In skills.txt, i see it uses the same damage progression as Baal Cold Missiles but with 1 other factor. The SrcDam column is set to 1. This means its damage is 1/128th of baals cold missile attack and it adds 1/128th of the bosses attack damage to the missiles too. (you can test this with a sorc using firebolt on a fallen, then give firebolt 1 srcdam and go attack them with it again).

So you have to be hit 128 times for the same damage as being hit once with baals cold missile attack. Generally, baals cold attack hits you 2-3 times if you are in the open. If you stand against a wall, its gonna be even weaker than baals cold wave even with 0 next hit delay.

Doing some rough numbers, 150-200 MDR should completely negate all hits from that attack even if you have -100 resist.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Question about "MancerShot" skill
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:51 pm 

I think you misinterpreted the meaning of that column. That's actually the column that attaches weapon damage to a skill. Solely hitshift controls the damage strength of the damage tiers. Srcdam adds 128ths of the caster's melee damage to the attack as well.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:00 pm 

Also one further factor that completely throws that theory out the window anyways. The missile in missiles.txt does not refer to the skill that casts it in the skill column. As a result the missile uses its own damage settings specified in the missiles.txt instead of what's specified in the skills.txt... As a result Mancershot actually has SrcDam 0 (I think I removed it since it was causing misses which was undesirable for what I was trying to make due to the weapon damage influence).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:08 pm 
Game Server Host

Baerk wrote:
I think you misinterpreted the meaning of that column. That's actually the column that attaches weapon damage to a skill. Solely hitshift controls the damage strength of the damage tiers. Srcdam adds 128ths of the caster's melee damage to the attack as well.

I'm not missing the meaning of the column, i've tested it extensivelly a while ago in an attempt to get a functioning soft coded kill counter that counts kills with spells too. Any skill i gave 1 in srcdam would fail to kill anything.
It would be good if you tested stuff like this before passing it off as wrong.

ScrDam controls how much weapon damage is applied to the skill yes. It also works like the hitshift column for any skill damage.
Go test it with any skill you like. I checked it with firebolt a min or 2 before creating the thread. Just give it 1 in srcdam and go try to kill a normal fallen

Anyway, its not a problem if the missiles damage is independant of the skill. Was just making sure as that would be annoying. I assume you removed the 1 srcdam because the problems you are talking about were the missiles not dealing any damage (or assuming they were not making contact as a result)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:19 pm 

I wonder... how does hitshift react to values above 8 anyways? I've never seen a case of a hitshift above 8 so I'm a bit curious.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:27 pm 
Game Server Host

hitshift cant go above 8 as far as I know, any further gain would have to be done with srcdam and something like having a restriction on the skill so you can't have any weapon equipped and any +min/max is ignored. Bit of a shabby mix though.

The problem gets worse as srcdam isn't applied to skill damage clientside. I noticed median uses a lot of skills that have weapon damage and additional elemental damage. Those are misleading as the elemental damage is also altered but with no clientside display.

128 damage firebolt with 1 in srcdam vs a normal fallen.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:31 pm 

So that nulls the possibility of doing something like a hitshift 15 to counter a srcdam 1 128th'ing the damage.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:33 pm 
Game Server Host

well i never extensivelly tested the hitshift column but i can do a quick firebolt test.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:39 pm 
Game Server Host

going over 8 works just fine it seems. 1-1 damage firebolt with hitshift of 15 gives 128 damage fireball and 1 shotting stuff.

This may have an effect on the damage from srcdam too but its a bit harder to check without messing around creating a high damage weapon and a char that can use it. Someone else would have to look into that.

Offline Profile