Login | Register


All times are UTC - 5 hours


It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:19 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Avoid Aftermath mod
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:16 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:11 am
Posts: 165
There is no point even describing how amateurish and stupid Aftermath is.

Do not waste your time. The AM realm is near empty for a very good reason.


Top
 Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Avoid Aftermath mod
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:00 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:28 am
Posts: 1125
Location: Vancouver, BC
Last year, when I had time to look into Aftermath, Trevor was doing a decent job with his mod, but hadn't ironed out some balance issues, and there were still some glitches where the game didn't match his intentions. He had plenty of good ideas (using Energy points as a synergy, skill changes, new monsters and items), just hadn't implemented them flawlessly at the time.

The main reason Aftermath realm is unpopulated right now is because HU Ladder has reset, which always draws people from one side to the other until they get bored and the other side resets.

I'm guessing you tried the mod, and found it frustratingly hard since you're used to HU or Vanilla D2. Aftermath takes some getting used to. A lot of noobs see the seemingly huge damage potential of some skills and turn their chars into very fragile glass cannons. I know my Hurrigeddon druid was too fragile to enjoy soloing with (also the panthers in A3 were too dark and fast for me to see them well in my playing environment). The IcyCrevasse skill worked quite well though. I suppose I should have remade that char after I'd learned how to better handle the game.


Top
 Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Avoid Aftermath mod
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:53 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:11 am
Posts: 977
id suggest explaining or nobody will take you seriously.
e points as a synergy is one of the best things that could be done imo. lets casters be casters.

_________________
“Education has failed in a very serious way to convey the most important lesson science can teach: skepticism”


Top
 Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Avoid Aftermath mod
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:43 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:11 am
Posts: 165
Examples of why this mod is stupid:

Maphack is allowed and encouraged. In fact, you need it to see boss stats. Andy has a counter that gives her something like 100% absorb of all elemental damage. So the only way you could ever know this is to use MH. Obviously you know exactly where all of the stairs are so that part of the game is ruined.

To use skills, you need "aptitude". This is some idiotic formula of str+dex+vit X (energyx2). I.E to get skills you have to dump points in energy or you'll never get access until lvl50 where spellbooks start raining down. Also, you can't see your aptitude score on some characters as he forgot to put the special skill that shows it.

Warriv was moved to a special room below Jail 2. The room has no boss or anything significant. He just moved Warriv because he could.

Chests can have traps that will kill you. So basically you just leave them alone. So the levels are filled with useless chests. Brilliant.

A1 mercs don't attack until lvl12 but are available the moment you start A1. No explanation, they just don't do anything.

Andy drops a ring called "fools rush in". The stats are something like -60 dex/str, anti life aura, +500% exp. Ok it's some sort of joke ring, you try it on and all your gear goes red, so you take it off. Except, when you join the next game all of your stats are now PERMANENTLY lowered to 1. So this asshole purposely made a character wrecking item dropped by Andy (and everything else she drops is all junk - nice drops btw). This is like the amusing fools cap in Diablo 1 with 1 durability, except that no other item in D2 ever changed your stats permanently.

The mod is just one silly change/omission after another. You require another person to fill you in/warn you constantly of all the bugs and pitfalls. Not having potions is fine, I get that concept and it works fine with the fast regen. But why put in items that can actually destroy your first character? If there's one asshole idea like this, there are bound to be more. So why would I start again knowing that this sort of nonsense is waiting for me in a2, a3, etc.

The AM realm is empty because AM is amateurish, hacky shit.


Top
 Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Avoid Aftermath mod
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:51 am 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:01 am
Posts: 88
1. You don't need maphack, there is a graphic and you can see the poison immunity which shows it.

2. This formula is so you can choose when to get skills, and not be restricted by your level. Not all classes have been finished with the appropriate skills yet.

3. NPCs that advance you to the next act were moved to help prevent rushing and greatly stretch out act 4 with a large boss fight.

4. Use sound and you'll be fine.

5. Yes a1 mercs are bugged.

6. The ring only penalizes you when you die. Hence the "death shall not be robbed ctc on death". As for the other junk, apparently you don't know what failed uniques are.

The mod is far from finished, you don't have to play it.


Top
 Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Avoid Aftermath mod
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:10 am 
Game Server Host
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:33 am
Posts: 4292
I've seen vids of aftermath and the reason i never played it is it looked pretty rediculous. Insane aoe spells on chars just destroying stuff one minute then the next minute theres a char (obviously high level) runing areas whare trash mobs are dropping him to 5% life in pretty much a split second then a swing from the char recovers the entire life orb in one etc. It looks to me like a kinda hectic, extremely unbalanced, unfinished mod. I've heard it has gone through some changes but there are still some major problems, or so im told.

One other point I would have against playing it is that someone let me know that as soon as someone finds a good build that is working well, the build is nerfed beyond all recognition. As far as I can gather, there is someone who plays there and if someone makes a better thar than this person he imediately complains that the build is way overpowered and then the build is destroyed. I'd rather not play a mod that is being balanced by someone who has no grasp of a working build and a piece of shit build.

My 2 pennys :mrgreen:

_________________
Bron wrote:
There's no cure for being a cunt.


Top
 Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Avoid Aftermath mod
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:04 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:11 am
Posts: 977
active development >>>>>> hu.
its also pretty intuitive to move warriv, last i saw it was a gauntlet to get to him, effectively stopping leaching and some rushing.
I have not played it in a while and when i did shamans killed u on death when they exploded.
and its pennies hoob hahaha

_________________
“Education has failed in a very serious way to convey the most important lesson science can teach: skepticism”


Top
 Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Avoid Aftermath mod
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:19 pm 
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:09 pm
Posts: 815
You ask me things have been improving. It's just so many changes have been flying that sometimes some balance chaos goes on. I say give it an other patch so Mathmatics can work out some unexpected difficulty balance kinks and the mod should be pretty good. The balance actually used to be MUCH worse in 1.08. Things have actually started getting under control numbers wise.

There's no longer any reports of skills with out of control crazy high damage at least. The only thing I could really say bad for it at the moment is that currently act 1 normal has been accidentally set too hard monster difficulty and damage wise.

It may be an unbalanced mod supposedly at the moment but let's face it. Great change often brings out imbalances. It's just a reality that time will need to be taken to figure out what's too strong/weak and iron it out.


Top
 Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Avoid Aftermath mod
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:36 pm 
Game Server Host
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:33 am
Posts: 4292
Zikur wrote:
active development >>>>>> hu.
its also pretty intuitive to move warriv, last i saw it was a gauntlet to get to him, effectively stopping leaching and some rushing.
I have not played it in a while and when i did shamans killed u on death when they exploded.
and its pennies hoob hahaha


Image

Can you say owned? :lol:

if you want to be pedantic your right i guess, but still, it matters how i spell something? incase you missed the last post I made about this.

The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy. it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

If you cant read it then you are not as bright as you think, so pointing out typo's shows your real lack of inteligance :P

_________________
Bron wrote:
There's no cure for being a cunt.


Top
 Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Avoid Aftermath mod
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:17 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:11 am
Posts: 977
yes i am very familiar with teh mnids ability to read recognize words so long as the first and last letter are in place, i attempted to make a series of characters using it, but couldnt think of anything good enough.

On another note, if you need to take everything so seriously you may not be as laid back as you think ;)
i didnt said WHEN ITS PLURAL YOU DROP THE Y!!! U DUM!!
i said it rather jokingly, imo.
insults are about intentions, and i never intended to insult anyone.

_________________
“Education has failed in a very serious way to convey the most important lesson science can teach: skepticism”


Top
 Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Avoid Aftermath mod
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:42 pm 
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:09 pm
Posts: 815
I think the definition from insultmonger.com is more accurate. It's something that is taken offense to on the recieving end. Something not meant as an insult could become an insult and an intended insult could just end up being nothing to the recipient. Of course intended insults could be recieved as insults and something harmless is recieved as harmless. Insults really are an art.

As for concerning the topic (yes it's been drifting off the point of the thread). The only real reason the mod's avoided is because it's difficult (probably more so than HU). Only the easy mods seem to be genuinely popular.


Top
 Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Avoid Aftermath mod
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:13 pm 
Game Server Host
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:33 am
Posts: 4292
Zikur wrote:
yes i am very familiar with teh mnids ability to read recognize words so long as the first and last letter are in place, i attempted to make a series of characters using it, but couldnt think of anything good enough.

On another note, if you need to take everything so seriously you may not be as laid back as you think ;)
i didnt said WHEN ITS PLURAL YOU DROP THE Y!!! U DUM!!
i said it rather jokingly, imo.
insults are about intentions, and i never intended to insult anyone.


Must we continue to flirt with each other? Im not taking anything seriously, hell, i don't even take life seriously. There's so many hoobs that love to correct typos nowadays in an effort to look smart, its hard to seperate the serious ones from the piss takers.

I are so good with the grammar it are making all jelous of my talentzz!

_________________
Bron wrote:
There's no cure for being a cunt.


Top
 Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Avoid Aftermath mod
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:48 pm 

Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:55 pm
Posts: 81
Baerk wrote:
I think the definition from insultmonger.com is more accurate. It's something that is taken offense to on the recieving end. Something not meant as an insult could become an insult and an intended insult could just end up being nothing to the recipient. Of course intended insults could be recieved as insults and something harmless is recieved as harmless. Insults really are an art.

As for concerning the topic (yes it's been drifting off the point of the thread). The only real reason the mod's avoided is because it's difficult (probably more so than HU). Only the easy mods seem to be genuinely popular.


ya should really write a book 8-)


Top
 Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Avoid Aftermath mod
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:29 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:34 am
Posts: 391
sobora wrote:
Baerk wrote:
I think the definition from insultmonger.com is more accurate. It's something that is taken offense to on the recieving end. Something not meant as an insult could become an insult and an intended insult could just end up being nothing to the recipient. Of course intended insults could be recieved as insults and something harmless is recieved as harmless. Insults really are an art.

As for concerning the topic (yes it's been drifting off the point of the thread). The only real reason the mod's avoided is because it's difficult (probably more so than HU). Only the easy mods seem to be genuinely popular.


ya should really write a book 8-)


or kill himself.

_________________
iz a secret


Top
 Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Avoid Aftermath mod
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:42 am 

Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:09 am
Posts: 734
nedder wrote:
Examples of why this mod is stupid:

Maphack is allowed and encouraged. In fact, you need it to see boss stats. Andy has a counter that gives her something like 100% absorb of all elemental damage. So the only way you could ever know this is to use MH. Obviously you know exactly where all of the stairs are so that part of the game is ruined.

its allowed because there are a lot of very large maps. ive been playing aftermath for 6 or 7 months and not once and nowhere do i see it as something "encouraged". and the boss counter, theres a graphic that clearly shows it on, and even if you dont see it, you can notice when your damage is healing the boss. every player can clearly see the life heal.

To use skills, you need "aptitude". This is some idiotic formula of str+dex+vit X (energyx2). I.E to get skills you have to dump points in energy or you'll never get access until lvl50 where spellbooks start raining down. Also, you can't see your aptitude score on some characters as he forgot to put the special skill that shows it.

you dont have to dump any points into energy for melee builds. in fact, i have a high level sorc that only has 20 stats into energy and about 40 points into dexterity. its put in place so that players dont have to wait until later levels for skills (example, waiting until level 36 here for whirlwind? kinda stupid imo). it also prevents people from completely maxing a skill right away and then becoming overpowered and cruising right through most of the game. and the display of aptitude isnt on every character because every character isnt finished being overhauled. the formula is pretty easy to calculate too.

Warriv was moved to a special room below Jail 2. The room has no boss or anything significant. He just moved Warriv because he could.

are you lazy? its not very far. act 2 and 4 also have this, where in act 4 has tyrael guarded by a boss fight.

Chests can have traps that will kill you. So basically you just leave them alone. So the levels are filled with useless chests. Brilliant.

theres sound for a reason. the chest gives you a good 2 seconds to run away. they also really dont hurt anybody past act3 or 4 of normal, unless your character is piss-poorly made.

A1 mercs don't attack until lvl12 but are available the moment you start A1. No explanation, they just don't do anything.


Andy drops a ring called "fools rush in". The stats are something like -60 dex/str, anti life aura, +500% exp. Ok it's some sort of joke ring, you try it on and all your gear goes red, so you take it off. Except, when you join the next game all of your stats are now PERMANENTLY lowered to 1. So this asshole purposely made a character wrecking item dropped by Andy (and everything else she drops is all junk - nice drops btw). This is like the amusing fools cap in Diablo 1 with 1 durability, except that no other item in D2 ever changed your stats permanently.

there are discussions about it in the faq and on the forums, as well as a mod on the ring itself. its been put there because people abused the rings exp and was rushing and leveling many characters at once. its not a joke at all, its something to be used with caution, or mainly for hc as well.

The mod is just one silly change/omission after another. You require another person to fill you in/warn you constantly of all the bugs and pitfalls. Not having potions is fine, I get that concept and it works fine with the fast regen. But why put in items that can actually destroy your first character? If there's one asshole idea like this, there are bound to be more. So why would I start again knowing that this sort of nonsense is waiting for me in a2, a3, etc.

The AM realm is empty because AM is amateurish, hacky shit.

theres nothing hacky or amateurish about it at all. it still has work that needs to be done, and quite frankly its gone a long way to becoming very balanced and providing a fun challenge to players who enjoy it. the modder doesnt have to be sitting there slaving away at improving the mod and fixing things that need fixing; he has a life too. although its been around for a while, its still a relatively new mod, and it has gone through a lot of changes that make it pretty different than what it was even when i started. but you have given it not even a fair chance and then come here and talk trash about something you have no experience with? please kid.


mods wont please or be fun for everybody. if you dont like aftermath, you have the choice of not playing it. dont come onto other forums and bash it; in fact, it makes you look like a fool and a child. i wonder how much of a fair chance you even gave the mod. how far did you get? early act 2 in normal? pretty pathetic to judge an entire mod off of. i could just as easily go back to other forums and bash the shit out of hell unleashed about things such as no real skill changes, no item changes, etc., but im more mature than that. besides, i have only gotten to normal river of flame waypoint so far on my first build, so im pretty sure theres a lot more for me to experience before i formulate an opinion about the mod. and then, even if i HATE it, im not going elsewhere to bash it openly, especially with no evidence or facts to back it up (which is exactly what you did).

when you gather an actual cohesive argument to why people should "avoid aftermath", id like to hear it. all i see here is a bunch of opinionated whining because it wasnt easy enough for you or to your personal liking.


Top
 Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Avoid Aftermath mod
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:39 am 

Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:21 am
Posts: 197
muleofal wrote:
nedder wrote:
... especially with no evidence or facts to back it up (which is exactly what you did).


Actually it appears that that is exactly what they did, almost in bullet form, too.


Top
 Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Avoid Aftermath mod
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:28 pm 

Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:09 am
Posts: 734
none of what he put was any evidence nor very thought out either. its just because he didnt like it or didnt know about what he was complaining about, or was too lazy.

ive refuted everything he had to say, which only was a bunch of opinions based off of frustration. his argument has nothing real behind it. did you even take time to read any of this thread? he has been refuted by now 3 people here proving him wrong.

in any case, what pisses me off is that he goes somewhere else to bash a mod that he didnt enjoy, and he only put opinions of why down, not reasons or anything (look at his "bullets"... theres nothing besides "this is stupid, or its some amateurish shit"...nothing with substance). and he did this without giving it a fair chance.

i would have been alright with a post more like, "i didnt enjoy the aftermath mod because" and then put some real reasons for it. to discredit somebody's hard work, especially when you have nothing to discredit it with, is pathetic. he is just mad because there currently is a lack of information on the wiki about certain things and he was frustrated by it.


Top
 Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Avoid Aftermath mod
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:26 pm 
Game Server Host
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:33 am
Posts: 4292
this topic has nothing to do with Hell Unleashed. It belongs in general discussion i think

_________________
Bron wrote:
There's no cure for being a cunt.


Top
 Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Avoid Aftermath mod
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:48 pm 

Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:09 am
Posts: 734
PureRage-DoD wrote:
this topic has nothing to do with Hell Unleashed. It belongs in general discussion i think


true, though id go as far as it belongs deleted or renamed. its going to become a flame war if it continues.


Top
 Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron