Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:53 am

What would be more challenging?
Poll ended at Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:37 am
They are hardest by staying stationary. 71%  71%  [ 10 ]
Their current move speed is appropriate challenge. 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
Their move speed should be buffed to give a more appropriate challenge (please post how much a buff if you choose this option). 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14
 Post subject: Unique Baal Tentacle Poll
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:37 am 

It seems there has been a bit of controversy concerning the unique baal tentacles ever since they were accidentally given move by a global monster travel speed buff. Some think the the fact they move makes them harder while some say its easier.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Unique Baal Tentacle Poll
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:18 am 

They are hardest by being stationary. When they move it's very easy to get access to Baal and kill them. In the line of fire you're on a small bridge and Baal is behind them which means his hoarfrost rapes you from that position. ( When they are stationary )
As currently I'm expecting it to be much much easier. Anyone who wants to say otherwise feel free to post and explain.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:59 am 

Lee wrote:
They are hardest by being stationary. When they move it's very easy to get access to Baal and kill them. In the line of fire you're on a small bridge and Baal is behind them which means his hoarfrost rapes you from that position. ( When they are stationary )
As currently I'm expecting it to be much much easier. Anyone who wants to say otherwise feel free to post and explain.

It is more difficult when they are stationary. It would be even more difficult if they only could move to the end of the bridge imo because as it stands now most baal runs you just range dps til he tele's out so in essence your skipping them anyway.

Also not to get off subject but is there a way to stop casting across the right side? My pzon could kill him from there given enough time and he didn't tele out. Especially with the new res.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:20 am 

With some map editing fire from across the chasm could be blocked off via transparent wall tiles (but I haven't really immersed myself in map editing yet... just other aspects). Shame the tentacles can't just warp to Baal whenever he teleports.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:30 am 

Baerk wrote:
With some map editing fire from across the chasm could be blocked off via transparent wall tiles (but I haven't really immersed myself in map editing yet... just other aspects). Shame the tentacles can't just warp to Baal whenever he teleports.

if its a huge task then dont worry about it. But its pretty easy to kill him if u can get a tank on top of him from across that chasm.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:31 am 

Didn't know PSN could kill him from the side. Guess it would require map editing.. that may difficult to do though unless someone knows how to do it.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:35 am 

Lee wrote:
Didn't know PSN could kill him from the side. Guess it would require map editing.. that may difficult to do though unless someone knows how to do it.

A bowzon could do it easily given amp and a necro casting a golem across. (This is how ive done it in the past)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:01 pm 

Actually if someone had the proper tools and access to the map's DS1 as well as knowledge to use those tools I'm pretty sure such a task wouldn't even take 15 minutes to apply the fix. It's just I have 0 experience/familiarity with mapping modding (since it was something I never really looked into before).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:58 pm 

from where exactly are you able to hit Baal?
the top corner of the throne room, behind the worldstone?

someone test this map plx:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BWTZ2Y91

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:43 pm 

It's harder if they can't move. You have to go up a long narrow hall taking shots from all three of them, and the tentacles never move and Baal rarely moves, so you have to go at it a while until Baal leaves, then kill the tentacles (else he might go back, and you return to square 1) and finally kill him.

If you can bait them out you can kill them very easily, leaving just Baal up there.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:06 am 

SvF-Cagematch wrote:
It's harder if they can't move. You have to go up a long narrow hall taking shots from all three of them, and the tentacles never move and Baal rarely moves, so you have to go at it a while until Baal leaves, then kill the tentacles (else he might go back, and you return to square 1) and finally kill him.

If you can bait them out you can kill them very easily, leaving just Baal up there.

Or u can just carry a source of tele and tele across the chasm thus skipping the tentacles anyway.. If your talking about the initial early fights then yeah I see what your saying. But any char will carry a source of tele just to skip alot of the Cleft anyway.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:10 pm 

JnDmX wrote:
SvF-Cagematch wrote:

Or u can just carry a source of tele and tele across the chasm thus skipping the tentacles anyway.. If your talking about the initial early fights then yeah I see what your saying. But any char will carry a source of tele just to skip alot of the Cleft anyway.

Ok, so you're across the chasm. They can still shoot at you. What have you accomplished?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:30 pm 

I remember Loc was using a leap across the chasm to baal and knock back agony and suffering so we could kill them easier.

they should stay immobile, imo.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:57 pm 

They're pretty easy either way. How about moving them farther back almost right next to Baal, add no tele/missile across the right chasm, and keep them stationary? That should make for some good times.

Shame Baal is pretty easy to lure out of there or make him tele across the chasm. I wanna see Baal stuck behind those tents spamming hoarfrost and icons all day, while those tents pummel the shit out of everyone with blood star. You might even see more than three people on the realm use Mirror's Eye.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:57 pm 

SvF-Cagematch wrote:
JnDmX wrote:
SvF-Cagematch wrote:

Ok, so you're across the chasm. They can still shoot at you. What have you accomplished?

Many classes have castable tanks. In my most recent experience I use Decoy to put on the tentacles. Thereby removing any dmg I receive from them.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:45 pm 

drrod wrote:
They're pretty easy either way. How about moving them farther back almost right next to Baal, add no tele/missile across the right chasm, and keep them stationary? That should make for some good times.

Shame Baal is pretty easy to lure out of there or make him tele across the chasm. I wanna see Baal stuck behind those tents spamming hoarfrost and icons all day, while those tents pummel the shit out of everyone with blood star. You might even see more than three people on the realm use Mirror's Eye.

Know what I think would be funny?

You know how some unique packs have a leash on their minions, where if you try to pull them too far from the boss you can't, because they'll run back? Imagine moving tentacles, with Baal holding the leash. Even if you pull him out, they'll still follow. Probably not possible, but funny.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:11 pm 

SvF-Cagematch wrote:
drrod wrote:

Know what I think would be funny?

You know how some unique packs have a leash on their minions, where if you try to pull them too far from the boss you can't, because they'll run back? Imagine moving tentacles, with Baal holding the leash. Even if you pull him out, they'll still follow. Probably not possible, but funny.

+1 Good idea if possible. I almost wonder if you could skip the tentacles and just use a different model based on the Corpsefire minions.. They auto return dont they?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:31 am 

Theoretically that sort of leesh could be done but it would require turning Baal into a super unique monster. But the AI for that leashing isn't full proof (have em start rushing you, just retreat and you'll eventually hit a distance they can't find baal anymore before they even realize they got too far).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:10 pm 

JnDmX wrote:
+1 Good idea if possible. I almost wonder if you could skip the tentacles and just use a different model based on the Corpsefire minions.. They auto return dont they?

They're one of the ones that do it, but changing Baal from a prime evil to a superunique might break something.

Though, if you wanted him to really be trolltastic, maybe a skill to either summon his minions to him, or summon more (with a limit of one Agony and one Suffering at a time)? I dunno. This isn't an aspect of modding I've fooled with.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:18 pm 

As long as you know what you are doing turning the prime evils into superuniques with prime evil flags won't break anything (Aftermath has done it just fine with zero problems even initially).

As for the summon with limit of one thing... That's reserved exclusively for the baal clone summon (which has been turned into icon of evil).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:09 pm 

Like Baerk said, they will still give quests and the like. I have done it before while farting around on my own.

I put superunique versions in other areas for alt ways to get the quest. Beware though, they can get really fookin nasty. (Diablo extra fast, fanat, multishot, XYZenchanted...funfun). Plus don't they get hp and damage bonuses when you do that?

Baerk is also right on luring techniques. It's not even close to 'fool' proof.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:07 pm 

kramuti wrote:
Like Baerk said, they will still give quests and the like. I have done it before while farting around on my own.

I put superunique versions in other areas for alt ways to get the quest. Beware though, they can get really fookin nasty. (Diablo extra fast, fanat, multishot, XYZenchanted...funfun). Plus don't they get hp and damage bonuses when you do that?

Baerk is also right on luring techniques. It's not even close to 'fool' proof.

If they get HP and damage bonuses, that's very bad. Bosses are near the rollover point on HP, and already hit quite hard.

Offline Profile